Website for auto reviews?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Website for auto reviews?

Post by selfmademug »

Anyone have a particular site they like for reading up on new and used cars? I don't like the ones with consumer reviews, or the ones with lots of huge ads-- any idears?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on recent Toyota RAV4s? I need a *small* 4WD car, and I know and love Subarus but am widening my search... thanks!!
whar

Post by whar »

Oy with the poodles, already!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Thanks-- I got one interesting review off there, and also saw that I can get a free month's online access to Consumer Reports, which is perfect.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Here are ones to look at before making any offers: Don't ever make an offer on a car without looking up the value on all of those. Push to get closer to the wholesale value. If you are successful, you can avoid getting upside down in a car.

NADA is the little yellow book you see at dealer's and Edmunds publishes the ones you see in magazine stands.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Thank you!! I knew about Edmunds but not the other two. It seems it's easy nowadays to find out exactly what each option costs the dealer (before incentives, anyway).

I think I am leaning towards the RAV4 due to combination of price/gas mileage, reviews, and size (it's remarkably small, and I only have street parking, so the smaller the car, the better the chances of getting a spot, which is tough in my neighborhood!). I can't believe I am actually considering getting an SUV, even if it's only a quasi-legit SUV...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:I think I am leaning towards the RAV4 due to combination of price/gas mileage, reviews, and size (it's remarkably small, and I only have street parking, so the smaller the car, the better the chances of getting a spot, which is tough in my neighborhood!). I can't believe I am actually considering getting an SUV, even if it's only a quasi-legit SUV...
I don't know if you're a Toyota owner now, but I doubt you'll regret buying the RAV4. I have a 2000 Camry (I know, boring), and it hasn't given me a single problem in 5 years.

My wife is taking delivery of the new Lexus hybrid SUV some time over the next week or two. It's very expensive, but there is a federal tax credit for hybrids and we will make some of it back on gas consumption. She's still driving her 1989 Volvo, which has more than 220,000 miles on it, so I can't begrudge her a big purchase. Plus it means that she'll leave my car alone!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Yeah, Toyotas have great owner satisfaction and re-sale, both of which mean a lot. I've got a Subaru now, and I really like it, but my Ex is gonna keep it (which is fine). I'd get another but the Impreza (nice and small) doesn't review as well as the Forrester or Outback, which run about $4k more than the RAV4 (and are a bit longer).

If and when I get this, it will be the FIRST car I've ever owned on my own... I've been a public transportation gal for just about ev-ah. VERY exciting!
whar

Post by whar »

I'm going to BochKia today in Norwood to pick up either a new 2004 Kia Rio Cinco or used 2003 Kia Spectra.

I'm a big fan of the Cincos... as far as Spectras go, I'd rather an EX (which are very stylish).

Kias are on the rise!
whar

Post by whar »

It's official. :D
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wife took delivery of her brand spanking new Lexus 400h this weekend. Beautiful car, inside and out. It's a strange experience riding along in a hybrid - this was the first time for me. When you start up the car, there is no appreciable noise telling you that it has started, though you see the instrument panel light up. I also expected to get a sense of when the battery was powering the car, as opposed to the engines, but it is really seamless. The only thing I noticed is a slight noise (almost like a low siren) when you pull up to a stop light. From what I understand, that is the sound of the brakes powering the battery.

The 400h also has a plenty of power and room inside. She paid a pretty penny for it, but I am now seriously jealous. Not to mention the satellite navigation system, which was fun to play around with when we drove up to Greenfield, Mass. yesterday. It gives you the option of French or English instructions (I assume because they also sell it in Canada), and my wife chose French, which was a bit of a hoot - "A huit cent metres, serrez a gauche..."

There are also a few ridiculous little extras, like little mini sprayers that pop up and spritz your headlights (though there are no wipers). I'm still trying to figure those out - maybe they'll be useful on muddy winter roads.

A beautiful little piece of engineering. Have to say I'm a sucker for Japanese cars.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
whar

Post by whar »

You blew my Kia post away.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Not that I'd ever get one, but I think the new Mustangs are just gorgeous.

selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

...and HUGE!! Jeeze!! Sorry bout that...