22 January 2006 mp3 - Shot With His Own Gun

Pretty self-explanatory
thepopeofpop

22 January 2006 mp3 - Shot With His Own Gun

Post by thepopeofpop »

Switching back to the State Theatre show for the moment: in this one Steve Nieve attempts to turn the Sydney Festival into the Meltdown Festival by having a meltdown. Prior to that he executes a piano solo that's very different to the one on "Trust". Much more Rachmaninov I would say (although that is an observation veering close to cliche I suppose).

http://www.planetriker.org/trainspottin ... OwnGun.mp3

After the meltdown moment the audience laughter is triggered by EC's incredulous reaction to Steve's performance. He was going to pick up a guitar located by Steve's piano. First he says "I think he ran out of bullets" and then after a few seconds hesitancy "I was afraid to pick up the guitar". Maybe you had to be there; maybe you were. Maybe you will be, the next time 'round.

PoP

How about reissues with 2 bonus CDs, and a DVD?
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Re: 22 January 2006 mp3 - Shot With His Own Gun

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Dear God that was some wild-ass piano! I love it though. If for one day I could be in Steve's head to see what's happening in there - that would be quite an experience...Some sort of maniacal genius thing going on with him, but he complements Elvis so incredibly well. Thanks for sharing.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I love this song. From the piano to Elvis's sentimental-bitter-sick of love voice. This song is great any time, but it's even better late at night when you have nothing better to do ('cause you don't have school the next day and your girlfriend is out of town). It's a very powerful song, and it's one of those songs that could be placed in any crappy album (like "Saved!" or "Monkey Business") and make it astonishing. It's like the "God Only Knows" in Pet Sounds and "Bang and Blame" in Monster. This makes Trust a great album, even though it has a few songs that I'd love to stick in "For the Stars" (a place I wouldn't ever go to anyway), it has another side to it that includes beautful songs ("Gloomy Sunday" "Love for sale" "From a whisper to a scream" "Seconds of pleasure"). It kinda makes you think he's bi-polar. Anyway just some thoughts on this song, as you can see, I really, really do love this song.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied

Exteme Honey observed:...has another side to it that includes beautful songs ("Gloomy Sunday" "Love for sale" "From a whisper to a scream" "Seconds of pleasure"). It kinda makes you think he's bi-polar.

Maybe that's why I love his music (and the songs you mention) so much! 8) But I'm not really feeling the manic side to his songs so much. I'll have to ponder this. Bipolars, depressed folks and shrinks, what say you?
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

It does have some other terrific songs. "New Lace Sleeves", "Big Sister's Clothes" (even if it is a pretty weird version), and "Watch Your Step".

"You'll Never Be a Man" and "Pretty Words" are pretty good too. I'd say, on the whole, that the good and excellent songs lift Trust up to a level of greatness that other (mere mortal) songwriters can only dream of.

However, I do take Extreme Honey's point that a killer song can really lift your perception of an album. Goodbye Cruel World really lacks that killer song, for example. He should have included "Turning The Town Red" on the original album - and released it as an a-side! And produced the whole album in that gritty pop style, but I digress...

The Delivery Man lacks that killer song too. While it is a collection of a lot of decent songs, there's not that one track that makes me say, "Damn, I gotsta have me some o' dat Delivery Man shit." In fact, when I listen to live shows, the only song that really pulls me in the the title track combined with "The Butcher's Boy." "The Butcher's Boy" was some freaky stuff live, similar to "I Want You" played live. What the hell am I talking about? Stop me. :D
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I dunno...I think of 'Trust' as one of Elvis's (ahem) trustiest albums - so much more mature and complex than the Big Bang of his first three albums, but still filled with catchy hooks and dazzling lyrics. The first side doesn't have a weak cut on it, it seems to me; people lambaste 'Luxemburg' but that's a hilarious rave-up, muddy production job notwithstanding. 'Big Sister's Clothes' may be my all-time favourite EC album closer, backwards accordion and all.

Does it have the one great song - the 'Alison' or 'I Want You?' Perhaps not, but there's plenty to be said for an album of really, really good songs. Certainly I'll take that over a record with one or some similarly stingy number of great songs surrounded by dreck (Knocked Out Loaded, anyone?).

When asked for one record that captures the essence of Elvis, I usually say Trust: not necessarily his best, but his most representative.

(Incidentally, isn't 'Either Side of the Same Town' the One Great Song on Delivery man? Just asking).
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

I don't know if "The Delivery Man" has a standout song, but it does have several excellent songs. I've gone on record before as saying I think that

2 Country Darkness
3 There's A Story In Your Voice
4 Either Side Of The Same Town
5 Bedlam
6 The Delivery Man

is for me the best 5 song sequence on any Costello album.

Aw come on, in a certain light he looks like Elvis, in a certain way he feels like Jesus! And I think we know which 'way' that is

PoP