Sydney 20 January 2006 mp3 - New Lace Sleeves

Pretty self-explanatory
thepopeofpop

Sydney 20 January 2006 mp3 - New Lace Sleeves

Post by thepopeofpop »

Here it is, voted 'Sexiest EC Song' three years running (by me anyway). Snuggle up to someone you love and enjoy. Or if your love is unrequited then play the object of your affection this song and let it work its magic on them.

http://www.planetriker.org/trainspottin ... leeves.mp3

Arrangement by Paul Cassidy, Theremin by Steve Nieve (except for the last bit which gets a laugh from the audience, which is where EC takes his own little theremin solo)

PoP

We are the New Lace Sleeves Preservation Society
God bless Steve Nieve, Elvis C and sobriety
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Thanks for sharing PoP! I have to say, your commentaries are worth the price of admission by themselves.

Anyway, this is a very odd arrangement I have to say. Introducing the theremin in this type of arrangement is akin to a loud, raunchy fart during a funeral. Steve needs a 12-step program.

PoP, I'd love to hear "You'll Never Walk Alone" if/when you get the chance!
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote: PoP, I'd love to hear "You'll Never Walk Alone" if/when you get the chance!
Unfortunately the last couple of songs are not on the recording, for reasons unknown to me... A pity as that song's a bit of a rarity in the EC catalogue.

thepopeofpop wrote:
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote: PoP, I'd love to hear "You'll Never Walk Alone" if/when you get the chance!
Unfortunately the last couple of songs are not on the recording, for reasons unknown to me... A pity as that song's a bit of a rarity in the EC catalogue.
Que lastima!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

NLS is easily my favorite EC song, one I never tire of, and one that still gives me chills when I hear it live. This arrangement is amazing. And that's all I have to say about that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

No problem, it is also my favourite EC song. (Beating out such contenders as: Riot Act, Accidents Will Happen, Beyond Belief, Brilliant Mistake, CCIU #4, Black Sails in the Sunset & The Delivery Man)

Next live mp3 to be posted will be "She Handed Me A Mirror"
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:

Anyway, this very odd arrangement is akin to (...) a funeral. . !
How perceptive! Death to yer dreams, perhaps!

What a striking arrangement this is. It opens with a slow & twisted 'Viennese' cortage - alluding to late LvB, early Berg and even a direct lift from Joh Brahms at his funereal best (adagio fr. String Quintet op.111) just before EC's vocal entry. The melody of the original is retained for the vocal line but what occurs beneath and roundabout the tune, with strings & piano(/theremin), is remarkable music - and such soulful singing throughout by Elvis. Just magic.

This bit of 'classic Cassidy' has haunted me for the weeks since we saw it performed at Angel Place and to be able to hear it again is a little miracle. Bless you Pope Of Pop.
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."

E*C*RIDER wrote:
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:

Anyway, this very odd arrangement is akin to (...) a funeral. . !
How perceptive! Death to yer dreams, perhaps!

What a striking arrangement this is. It opens with a slow & twisted 'Viennese' cortage - alluding to late LvB, early Berg and even a direct lift from Joh Brahms at his funereal best (adagio fr. String Quintet op.111) just before EC's vocal entry. The melody of the original is retained for the vocal line but what occurs beneath and roundabout the tune, with strings & piano(/theremin), is remarkable music - and such soulful singing throughout by Elvis. Just magic.

This bit of 'classic Cassidy' has haunted me for the weeks since we saw it performed at Angel Place and to be able to hear it again is a little miracle. Bless you Pope Of Pop.
Creative use of ellipses E.C. Rider. :wink: