The Sullivans figure out Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

The Sullivans figure out Elvis

Post by martinfoyle »

alexv

Post by alexv »

Ha, Ha, I suspect that EC's most closely guarded yet heartfelt fantasy has now been fulfilled: one of his songs is drawing screams of adoration from panting teeny-boppers!! It was the singer, not the song.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

So what was that? Some sort of "Pop Idol" show?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes, a truly dreadful talent show on Irish TV . Martin and I happened - honest! - to catch' the Olivers Army' performance while fast-forwarding through the ads. on a tape of the previous night's late-night showing of 'CSI ' ( yeah, thats how bad Irish tv can be , scheduling decent stuff so ineptly)-

http://www.rte.ie/tv/star/video.html

19 February 2006

incl.

' The Sullivan Brothers
The Sullivan Brothers sing 'Oliver's Army''
( watch at above link)

http://www.rte.ie/tv/star/sullivans.html

Sullivan Brothers

Names: Shane and Adrian, Address: Athy, Co. Kildare

' What they most dislike about themselves is their receding hairlines!!'

and - girls , prepare to be devastated -

' Both of the lads have girlfriends. Adrian is going out with Susan, and Shane is going out with Brenda.'
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

"One more widow, one less white figure..."

...Frank Skinner had the same subtle lyric change when he did it on Stars in Their Eyes...
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

When my band Oliver's Army plays the song "Oliver's Army" I sometimes change the lyric to "One more widow, not one whit bigger" when it's prudent. The lyrics makes no sense on the surface, but I chose the phrase because it comes from the following poem (sort of).

Incident

Once riding in old Baltimore,
Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,
I saw a Baltimorean
Keep looking straight at me.

Now I was eight and very small,
And he was no whit bigger,
And so I smiled, but he poked out
His tongue, and called me, "Nigger."

I saw the whole of Baltimore
From May until December;
Of all the things that happened there
That's all that I remember.

-- Countee Cullen

I change that line when I'm afraid the original lyric will be offensive to someone in the audience (or when kids are present) who might not understand the context of the original words. I like the line from the Cullen poem as a stand-in.

I suppose we could sing "All it takes is one itchy tree grow."
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

But yet you throw the term "tar baby" around like nobody's business? :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.unison.ie/entertainment/musi ... si=1575362

You're a winner: Lucia's star shines the brightest

Monday March 6th 2006

SINGING sensation Lucia Evans last night captured the hearts of the voting public to win RTE's 'You're A Star' final and a recording contract with a major label.

The 23-year-old Zimbabwe-born singer with the powerful voice was in tears when RTE presenter Derek Mooney announced that viewers had chosen her ahead of rivals The Sullivan Brothers.

An emotional and tearful Lucia immediately declared her love for her boyfriend, Shane, who first persuaded her to enter 'You're A Star', telling him: "I love you, I couldn't have done it without you."

Last night's win has netted Lucia a recording deal on the Polydor label, music management and €10,000 in musical equipment.

She will be in the recording studios of Universal Music as early as next weekend working on a new song 'Bruised Not Broken' to be released in April.

She beat off stiff competition from the "people's champions" - Adrian and Shane Sullivan from Athy, Co Kildare - who had built up a huge following nationwide. Lucia, who lives in Galway, has been in Ireland for seven years and last night's final included a message of good luck and support from her mother in Zimbabwe. The pair have not seen each other since she first came to Ireland. Lucia's grandfather was Irish.

The two acts battled it out to woo voters one last time last night as they performed three songs apiece throughout the show at Dublin's Helix Theatre.

The Sullivan Brothers kicked off the show with the Elvis Costello hit 'Oliver's Army' while Lucia sang Roberta Flack's soulful 'First Time Ever I Saw Your Face'.

Both acts had to put their own stamp on their third song entitled 'Bruised Not Broken' which was specially written for the final.

The three usually outspoken judges, Linda Martin, Thomas Black and Brendan O'Connor, were on their best behaviour so as not to be accused of influencing voters.

Lucia and The Sullivans then performed George Michael's and Aretha Franklin's hit 'I Knew You Were Waiting' together just before Lucia was announced as the winner.