For the Stars
No votes
My Flame turns Blue
2%

Total votes: 53

Jackson Monk

Best EC album since 2000?

Post by Jackson Monk »

Nothing to match his heyday of the early 80s, but what has been the best?
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I started a thread some time ago how I didn't like When I Was Cruel when it came out, but after a year or so I listened to it again and it worked perfectly to me.
North has its beautiful moments, too, like Still , Fallen or You Turned To Me, but also a few overwrought, tedious tracks as well (imho, of course).
I am sure most people on the board will choose The Delivery Man, but it's just too rootsy-bluesy-Americana for me. (how it can be compared to the great King Of America is beyond me).
All in all, even though it would not reach even my top ten EC albums, I choose WIWC.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

It's tough to decide, at least for me, between River in Reverse and Delivery Man. I came into Elvis about the time WIWC came out, so that is always special, but the writing is so good on the other two. WIWC was his breakup album and North was his "yeah I'm gettin' some again" album. Although I enjoyed North, it just never found a truly special place in my heart.

For The Stars. . . .nevermind.

I saw him in Memphis performing TDM before it was released, so that was extra special. Had front row seats for EC and Allen and the band, and that was awesome. So good memories on both of those.

I'm partial to TDM, but I think his collaboration with Allen was top notch and the two men and their two bands together were incredible, so I think I will say that RIR is the better of the two.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I probably would have picked TDM if I hadn't liked the live versions of many of those songs better than the studio ones. Still a great album though. River In Reverse is my favourite, though that may be because it's the most recent.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I have to say The Delivery Man. It's a great album with some nice memories attatched. I spin it a lot more than the others. I don't know what it is about it, maybe just a determination to like it after walking the whole day to get it (probably anywhere between five and seven miles total). I contracted sunburn that day, but got KOA and TDM for my trouble. But it was fun... I don't have North but I don't think I'd like it better. The rootsy sound suits me just fine, and although KOA is better, this one makes me want to dance.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

I chose WIWC.

45, Tear Off...& the title track are classic EC.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

WIWC with TDM as a close second. TDM is brilliant but doesn't contain the essential Elvis song "Episode of Blonde" which I thinks ranks as one of his best ever.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

River in Reverse for the cathartic effect.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Pophead...if there was ever a predictable favorite for any board member I would have put up good money on you and RIR.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Ha! Actually I wavered between RIR and WIWC, but hometown loyalty and my undying love for Allen Toussaint won out.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

As you then know, Little Feat not only covered his songs, but many others were direct homages to him. Brilliant.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sadly none of these albums measure up to a half dozen or more of his earlier albums. EC's been sort of coasting for a decade or more. He's so insanely talented that he can make a very good album without blinking an eye, but we haven't had a truly great album from him in a long long time. Does he have one left in him?

I voted for River in Reverse.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
HiTone

Post by HiTone »

The Delivery Man is my choice for best EC album of the 2000's. It has brilliant lyrics and top notch performances from the entire band. Monkey to Man is a great rock song, and Country Darkness is a wonderful- you can hear The Band's influence on that one. I must admit that I am partial to this one because I live near Memphis and saw all of the warm up shows for this tour.

I appreciate the fact that he doesn't repeat himself, and is always looking for a new approach. But I sure hope the next album is a rock one with The Imposters!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Sadly none of these albums measure up to a half dozen or more of his earlier albums. EC's been sort of coasting for a decade or more. He's so insanely talented that he can make a very good album without blinking an eye, but we haven't had a truly great album from him in a long long time. Does he have one left in him?

I voted for River in Reverse.
I agree entirely. I took IB and GH in the car with me on Monday as I had lots of driving to do. Now they were REALLY great albums! 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Re: North gets my vote

Post by Jackson Monk »

Stewy wrote:What about the Burt Bacharach album? I think that's superb too.
This was released in 1998 and will be on the next poll...coming up shortly.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

WIWC - trying too hard and overlong. Esp Alibi, which could have been a great song if it didn't go on and on. Episode of Blonde, 45, Daddy,Radio Silence and My Little Blue Window cannot save it from being average EC.

TDM - I like it, but I don't love it. Some of the vocals are over ambitious and one or two songs are just....well.....dare I say it Bland :oops: I particulary find it hard to warm to the title track.

TRIR - I preferred this to TDM, but so many of the songs are not written by EC. Again, the one only that is (the title track)happens to be the dreariest. Therefore, as much as I like it, it's more Toussaint that Costello IMHO.

North - I voted for North, not just because it's a moving and touching collection of beautiful songs, but because it feels like an EC album and flows so well. I play North more than any of the above and its a staple favourite when we've just got back from the pub and I want to chill out with a Whiskey and a cigar. 8) Hail to the taxis.....they go where I go.
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

FTS - Like Stewy, I think that there is some good stuff on the Von Otter album, which is unfairly maligned. It was a brave effort that just didn't work. Green Song, For the Stars and especially the fantastic No Wonder (which he sung live on the North tour) are fine songs. I actually quite like the Broken Bicycles/Junk combo.
corruptio optimi pessima
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I voted for The Delivery Man.

First temptation was the RIR, but as Jackson said, you can't give all the credit to Elvis on that one.
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

This is probably the most difficult decade to decide, Ive gone for RIR as like Painted From memory it includes such a great array of songs. but it was a close call with Delivery Man and North both being great Elvis albums and When I was Cruel has its highlights......but ill stick with RIR for now...
...I want him to hurt...
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

colrow26 wrote:This is probably the most difficult decade to decide, Ive gone for RIR as like Painted From memory it includes such a great array of songs. but it was a close call with Delivery Man and North both being great Elvis albums and When I was Cruel has its highlights......but ill stick with RIR for now...
I think the voting will prove that the 80s albums were the hardest to choose from...but let's wait and see.
corruptio optimi pessima
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

We forgot a very important 2 CD set....."The Very Best of Elvis Costello"
Yea...Yea...I know...but I tell you..I absolutely wore CD2 out and CD1 is close.

I mean..who can argue with this play list?

1. Big Tears
2. Beyond Belief
3. Lipstick Vogue
4. Green Shirt
5. Pills & Soap
6. Tramp The Dirt Down
7. Shipbuilding
8. High Fidelity
9. New Lace Sleeves
10. Red Shoes
11. Talking In The Dark
12. New Amsterdam
13. I Hope You're Happy Now
14. Riot Act
15. My Funny Valentine
16. Indoor Fireworks
17. Almost Blue
18. I Want You
19. God Give My Strength
20. That Day Is Done
21. I Want To Vanish
alexv

Post by alexv »

He's got a couple of years to go, but when you go through the excercise of parsing out the best stuff on a decade-by-decade basis, you get a sense of how weak his work in the 00s has been.

I like North, but can see its weaknesses, and it would not stand a comparison to his best work of prior decades. When you get to TDM, RIR and WIWC you really see a drop off in quality that's really far below what he did in prior decades.

In the 80s, if you argue for IB, you still have GH, Trust, KOA, BAC as qualified contenders for the top spot; the 70s records are all classic-eligible; the 90s, where you begin to get a drop-off, still have BY, ATub, PFM, and MLAR as top notch records. But in the 00s the pickings are slim and you to look for a couple of classic songs per record. You don't get the consistency of prior decades. Admittedly, this might be classic late middle age talk, but nothing I can do about that.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Jackson, that "Hail to the taxis, they go where I go" line is my favorite line from North, and I find myself singing it in the oddest of places. It's EC ear candy. Insanely catchy.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

I actually like both "North" and "When I Was Cruel" much better than "My Aim is True".

I've fallen head-over-heels in love with "My Flame Burns Blue", however. I love everything about it-- the setlist, the arrangements, Elvis' voice in it. It's a stunning record and I am very proud to give it its first vote in this poll.
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

North.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole