What if . . .

Pretty self-explanatory
pjc1031

What if . . .

Post by pjc1031 »

I've seen Elvis roughly 50 times since Imperial Bedroom (82'). It's not a pissing contest. I've met people who've seen him hundreds, if not, thousands of times. I understand Elvis is almost obligated to play certain songs (Alison, Detectives, Pump It Up . . .) for those casual fans who go JUST to hear those songs. It's fine, until Hoover Factory or Living In Paradise gets passed over. I wonder if Elvis would consider a tour just for 'diehards'. As someone suggested a 'Non-Pump It Up Tour' which would be billed as such. I'm sure there would be enough 'real' fans to make it economically feasable. Even if it was solo. One can (unfortunately for now) only imagine the possibilities.
Jack of All Parades

Re: What if . . .

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I very much like your idea and suggest why stop there. There easily could be a tour of just covers or a show that truly takes a random turn like a previous suggestion from Wardo that audience members be allowed to literally airmail song suggestions onto the stage ala Ben Fold. Hell, you could under the ruse of a covers night, make it an evening devoted to a different artist utilizing his librarian style[research steeped] familiarity with pop culture and performers or song writers changing from city to city complete with his perceptions about the given artist. Hell, he could go the route that Ray Davies did years back and do an autobiographical program on stage. I have a feeling it would be scathingly funny and poignant at the same time. There are so many options that could compete with yet another 'greatest hits' type of tour. Just takes some imagination and creativity- two items he has to the nth degree.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
History History

Post by History History »

A tour for diehards? What a great idea. I loved it when he did Point Of No Return. How about a list of songs that Elvis has NEVER played live.....are there any?

I put forward:

What Do I Do Now?
The Stamping Ground.
My Resistance Is Low.
Running Out Of Fools.
Life Shrinks.
Just Another Mystery.
Party Party :lol: (Can't imagine this one ever being aired).
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

History History wrote:How about a list of songs that Elvis has NEVER played live.....are there any?

I put forward:

What Do I Do Now?
The Stamping Ground.
My Resistance Is Low.
Running Out Of Fools.
Life Shrinks.
Just Another Mystery.
Party Party :lol: (Can't imagine this one ever being aired).
He actually has played "My Resistance Is Low" and "Running Out Of Fools," but you're right about the rest.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ance_Index
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Ah yes, a tour for the jaded fan. That sounds like a laugh and a half.
cwr

Post by cwr »

The song I'm most baffled that he hasn't played live is "Impatience"! I'm especially shocked that he hasn't ever done it when he's had access to an orchestra or a horn section (like when he toured with Allen Toussaint-- those horns would have been so much fun in a live version of that song!)

It's probably his most unjustifiably obscure song of recent vintage, in that I think it would be a real crowd-pleaser and yet almost no one has heard it. I wonder why? He clearly likes it enough that he included it in the track listing for the Pomp & Pout compilation (that has or hasn't been released, I guess, depending on where in the world one lives...)
pjc1031

Post by pjc1031 »

the_platypus wrote:Ah yes, a tour for the jaded fan. That sounds like a laugh and a half.

That's not my take on it. I enjoyed the recent Beacon shows. Maybe you'ld prefer to hear Pump It Up again, but if I never heard it live again it would be just fine. It's a GREAT song but he has thousands of great songs.
pjc1031

Post by pjc1031 »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:I very much like your idea and suggest why stop there. There easily could be a tour of just covers or a show that truly takes a random turn like a previous suggestion from Wardo that audience members be allowed to literally airmail song suggestions onto the stage ala Ben Fold. Hell, you could under the ruse of a covers night, make it an evening devoted to a different artist utilizing his librarian style[research steeped] familiarity with pop culture and performers or song writers changing from city to city complete with his perceptions about the given artist. Hell, he could go the route that Ray Davies did years back and do an autobiographical program on stage. I have a feeling it would be scathingly funny and poignant at the same time. There are so many options that could compete with yet another 'greatest hits' type of tour. Just takes some imagination and creativity- two items he has to the nth degree.

Absolutely agreed. So what songs would you like to hear live?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

THE FLIRTING KIND
IMAGINATION IS A POWERFUL DECEIVER
SATELLITE
I'M NOT ANGRY
5IVE GEARS IN REVERSE
PRETTY WORDS
THE COMEDIANS
BABY'S GOT A BRAND NEW HAIRDO
REALLY MYSTIFIED
EISENHOWER BLUES
pjc1031

Post by pjc1031 »

bronxapostle wrote:THE FLIRTING KIND
IMAGINATION IS A POWERFUL DECEIVER
SATELLITE
I'M NOT ANGRY
5IVE GEARS IN REVERSE
PRETTY WORDS
THE COMEDIANS
BABY'S GOT A BRAND NEW HAIRDO
REALLY MYSTIFIED
EISENHOWER BLUES
Haha! Just Imagine 5IVE GEARS IN REVERSE live!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I would have requested Luxembourg but he just played an awesome rockabilly version last month.
pjc1031

Post by pjc1031 »

That's just what I mean. Luxembourg was a GREAT surprise! Any of these would be just fine for me . . .

Clean Money
Wednesday Week
Senior Service
Two Little Hitlers
Home Truth
Worthless Thing
Secondary Modern
Our little Angel
Getting Mighty Crowded
Tiny Steps
Crawling To The USA
Heathen Town
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Just to chime in here (not that anyone asked)...but I think this is a perennial desire of the hard-core fan of any long-running artist, and it's especially felt in an age where every live show can be easily and immediately accessed and parsed by the devotees. I frequent a couple of other music-themed message boards and the exact same frustration comes up again and again. I doubt that EC is doing anything different from any other such artist in NOT catering entirely to the narrow band of hard-core fans. After all, he does want to pay the bills, not schlep from town to town singing to 100 people every night.

It's a nice idea, though. The way to execute it is probably not as a tour proper but as occasional, quasi-random gigs in small clubs, explicitly identified as something different ('The Rarities and Rejects Revue,' something like that). You could announce them on the website, do a sort of guerilla thing. It does seem that all of this is the furthest thing from the man's mind nowadays; for whatever reason, he is clearly in crowd-pleasing mode, a rather bathetic coda to one of the finest albums of his entire career, although the shows do seem to be great fun.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Poor Deportee wrote: It does seem that all of this is the furthest thing from the man's mind nowadays; for whatever reason, he is clearly in crowd-pleasing mode, a rather bathetic coda to one of the finest albums of his entire career
He made a fantastic double LP which some here consider among his best albums ever. He then spent 6 weeks tirelessly promoting it. I have a near complete documentation of this promotion, both on TV and radio, and it is stunning how hard he worked (I promise to get that audio uploaded soon, platy). Live From The Artists Den is a phenomenal video which highlights the album beautifully. How does the public respond? Poor sales. No interest. Rejected. Next move? He says the album format is now dead to him and he's not planning on making another. The Revolver tour is announced. Theaters full of happy people and no empty seats. It was probably expensive and didn't net a huge fortune for him or his band, but he got the love he lacked during the National Ransom campaign.

My 2 cents. Armchair psychology at its worst. But makes sense to me.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

docinwestchester wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote: It does seem that all of this is the furthest thing from the man's mind nowadays; for whatever reason, he is clearly in crowd-pleasing mode, a rather bathetic coda to one of the finest albums of his entire career
He made a fantastic double LP which some here consider among his best albums ever. He then spent 6 weeks tirelessly promoting it. I have a near complete documentation of this promotion, both on TV and radio, and it is stunning how hard he worked (I promise to get that audio uploaded soon, platy). Live From The Artists Den is a phenomenal video which highlights the album beautifully. How does the public respond? Poor sales. No interest. Rejected. Next move? He says the album format is now dead to him and he's not planning on making another. The Revolver tour is announced. Theaters full of happy people and no empty seats. It was probably expensive and didn't net a huge fortune for him or his band, but he got the love he lacked during the National Ransom campaign.

My 2 cents. Armchair psychology at its worst. But makes sense to me.
Yeah, that does sound pretty plausible. He's probably not losing money on 'Revolver' but it's doubtful that he's raking it in hand over fist - more likely, you're right, he wants the looove. Or more charitably put, he wants positive feedback rather than a dead circuit. I guess 'Ransom' is a collateral damage of the decline of both the old record industry model and EC's reluctance to become a commercially marginal act.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Black Sails in the Sunset
Coal Train Robberies
6-fingered Man
Secondary Modern
Fallen
pjc1031

Post by pjc1031 »

Poor Deportee wrote:Just to chime in here (not that anyone asked)...but I think this is a perennial desire of the hard-core fan of any long-running artist, and it's especially felt in an age where every live show can be easily and immediately accessed and parsed by the devotees. I frequent a couple of other music-themed message boards and the exact same frustration comes up again and again. I doubt that EC is doing anything different from any other such artist in NOT catering entirely to the narrow band of hard-core fans. After all, he does want to pay the bills, not schlep from town to town singing to 100 people every night.

It's a nice idea, though. The way to execute it is probably not as a tour proper but as occasional, quasi-random gigs in small clubs, explicitly identified as something different ('The Rarities and Rejects Revue,' something like that). You could announce them on the website, do a sort of guerilla thing. It does seem that all of this is the furthest thing from the man's mind nowadays; for whatever reason, he is clearly in crowd-pleasing mode, a rather bathetic coda to one of the finest albums of his entire career, although the shows do seem to be great fun.

It would be pretty presumtuous of me to think EC would consider such a thing. But you know him. Absolutely no rules apply. I was basically just thinking aloud. By the way, I didn't see your list of rarities. Anything in particular you'ld like to hear live?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Moods for Moderns
Six Fingered Man
Riot Act
I'm Not Angry
Tokyo Storm Warning
Opportunity
That's How You Got Killed Before
Bama Lama Bama Loo
Pads, Paws and Claws
Episode of Blonde
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

When I suggested a tour of rarities I knew this would evoke debate but in reality the rarities will only come out as one offs at gigs. However when they do happen you're just struck with awe.
The UK solo tour last year got King of Confidence, a jaw dropping Point of no return and a now common Black and White World.

At least he's added some new old stuff on the Revolver tour so I would hope that the summer non wheel shows showcase more of these or see some of them
played more regularly.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

pjc1031 wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:Just to chime in here (not that anyone asked)...but I think this is a perennial desire of the hard-core fan of any long-running artist, and it's especially felt in an age where every live show can be easily and immediately accessed and parsed by the devotees. I frequent a couple of other music-themed message boards and the exact same frustration comes up again and again. I doubt that EC is doing anything different from any other such artist in NOT catering entirely to the narrow band of hard-core fans. After all, he does want to pay the bills, not schlep from town to town singing to 100 people every night.

It would be pretty presumtuous of me to think EC would consider such a thing. But you know him. Absolutely no rules apply. I was basically just thinking aloud. By the way, I didn't see your list of rarities. Anything in particular you'ld like to hear live?
Thanks for asking...but I can't really speak to the issue, because I generally don't bother with live bootlegs/downloads - I don't even do that for Dylan - and I haven't seen EC live enough times to be 'bored' with his live performances of his better-known stuff. For whatever I haven't heard, but would like to hear, he best stuff off NR and KOA (all I've heard him do from the latter, as I recall, is 'Indoor Fireworks,' never one of my special favourites for whatever reason).