now they tell me

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

now they tell me

Post by miss buenos aires »

So, after swimming five days a week for the entire month of January, I was a little disappointed to find that I had only lost three pounds (and this is not some insane vanity thing--I'd gained eight pounds since coming to Argentina!). Finally Googled "swimming lose weight" and found that swimming is actually the least effective form of exercise if you want to lose weight; the cold water, apparently, makes you extremely hungry and you end up taking in a ton more calories afterwards. Now, this is true, but I had always thought that the extreme hunger after a swim was a sign that you were working hard. Not so much. So I guess it's time to change up my routine a little. I still love you, swimming, but I've decided to see other exercises...

(And yes, I am toned and have more energy and tons of stamina and my cardiovascular is probably lovely and yes yes yes. I know.)

Anyway, I couldn't believe no one ever told me this. So I am telling you. You're welcome.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hmm, try swimming in warmer water...but then again the lanes in a jacuzzi aren't very big (especially if there's other users).
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I had this very same experience a few years back. But looking at photos from that period, I looked very healthy. weight isn't everything.

I've tried everything and I think that a good 20- 30 minute jog and a sensible diet every day is the best for weight control.
corruptio optimi pessima
miss buenos aires

Jackson Monk wrote:I've tried everything and I think that a good 20- 30 minute jog and a sensible diet every day is the best for weight control.
True, but since the tender age of fourteen (and a driver who must have been very distracted at that red light), I've had a somewhat weird right knee...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Does the weird knee sit comfortably with you? :twisted:
signed with love and vicious kisses
bobster

Post by bobster »

But, Ms. BA, this is based on the assumption you need to lose weight, which I strongly suspect you don't. Ah, women.

Anyhow, it is ironic that swimming is the exercise most enjoyed by actual overweight folks. Fat, it seems, is boyant. As a kid, I was downright fat -- as opposed to my current status of pleasingly stocky -- and in those days, I could float for hours. It was kind of nice. Now floating is almost work.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Walking is a fantastic form of exercise. Especially with a dog. I would be huge if I didn't cycle and walk. I get so much more fresh air and walking with a dog. Lovely.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
miss buenos aires

I love it when people tell me I look thin over the Internet. Don't stop! It's like when I email a hyperventilating friend to tell her that her cold sore is completely invisible to the naked eye. If you gained eight pounds in three months, believe me, you'd get a little antsy about it too, sir. Especially if it was bathing suit season.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

miss buenos aires wrote:I love it when people tell me I look thin over the Internet. Don't stop! It's like when I email a hyperventilating friend to tell her that her cold sore is completely invisible to the naked eye. If you gained eight pounds in three months, believe me, you'd get a little antsy about it too, sir. Especially if it was bathing suit season.
Hey now - I've met you - you don't need to lose weight ;)

Seriously though - I understand the nervousness of gaining weight unexpectedly...I gained about 15-20 in about 18 months of living with Blue :shock: It probably would've been good had I noticed after the first 8 to stop before it got worse. So yeah, I get it.

...But I still say you probably have nothing to worry about :P
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Does my ass look big in this?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
miss buenos aires

Mike Boom wrote:Does my ass look big in this?
Oh no, honey, you look fabulous.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The secret is a Playstation 2 and a copy of Dance Dance Revolution.

I'm so ashamed.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

miss buenos aires wrote:Especially if it was bathing suit season.
But I always thought you were Miss Buenos Aires in a world of lacy lingerie.

I have seen pictures of you on this site and you look alright to me :wink:

As a few people have said, walking is good for you.

You could also join a gym. I've found that after a good session in the gym I feel less guilty about the amount of food I eat.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I hate gyms.
VG - You've seen a picture of MissBA, but that don't reflect her weight now. she have put on 5 stone. Give me buxom over skinny minny anyday.
signed with love and vicious kisses
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, I'm damn sure not a skinny minny, but I don't weigh near what I used to. Taking off 60 pounds six years ago was one of the best things I ever did. It wasn't easy, and I still struggle with 10 pounds or so up and down. I don't eat badly, I just don't always have a chance to get enough exercise. I run and run, but it's back and forth up the basement stairs to do laundry. Does that count as a "stairmaster?" :)

I think you look fine, MBA. And I'm still sending you the kettle corn regardless. :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Another disadvantage to swimming is that it most likely doesn't involve breathing through the nose. So, to walking I'd add this advice: http://www.authentic-breathing.com/brea ... hletes.htm
miss buenos aires

verbal gymnastics wrote:You could also join a gym. I've found that after a good session in the gym I feel less guilty about the amount of food I eat.
I did join a gym! That's where the pool is! So I'm mixing it up a little, because I really do like swimming, and it really is good for me; when I was on the bike this afternoon, I noticed I had much more stamina than I used to. So: cardio and weights twice a week, swimming three times a week, and carry a bag of nuts around so I am not constantly munching on potato chips. (And just so you know, I had cut way down on the sweets, which for all I know, may have been solely responsible for the tiny weight loss I did have.)
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

laughingcrow wrote:Hmm, try swimming in warmer water...but then again the lanes in a jacuzzi aren't very big (especially if there's other users).
Yes, but think how many more laps you'll get in LC!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Us guys always carry a bag of nuts around.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Am in no position to talk myself at the moment, as I've been slobbing it a little since Christmas.

However, I have noticed that a lot of people (of both genders) go to the Gym for an hour and don't actually raise their heartbeat, therefore never coming close to a decent sweat and subsequently losing weight. They stroll along on the treadmill or use the cycle to meander along etc. What's the point? You'd be better off having a nice brisk walk in the countryside. :roll: I saw one person reading the paper on the bike the other day.

You wouldn't go to the movies and dose off would you......unless you were watching one of the Matrix Movies of course.... :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Mike Boom wrote:
Us guys always carry a bag of nuts around.
Many wives/girlfriends do too.

Be careful with the nuts, MBA - they pack a ton of calories in a TINY little serving. My own particular downfall.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

But don't they also have protein? Seriously, I am always hungry. I'm hungry right now, and I haven't even gone to the gym today.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

they have protein, but they have a lot of fat too.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah, but it's not a fat that is necessarily bad for your body. They're very low in saturated fat. But yes, they do have fat. And salt.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I use packets of snacking fruit. It gives you energy and has no fat. You can pick it up in supermarkets in the homebaking section. Well you can over here anyway.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?