What would Elvis think if he read this board?

Pretty self-explanatory
cbartal

What would Elvis think if he read this board?

Post by cbartal »

My guess is he'd be sporting a tremendous red faced blush, with one finger down his throat, and his other hand tightly gripped on his you-know-what, with a box of kleenex waiting patiently by the side of the bed.

Just what I'm doing as a matter of fact.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

:shock:
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I think he'd scream in terror and cancel his tour. Thank the forces that be that he doesn't read the board.

You may carry on cbartel though perhaps it's time to employ the tissues.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
Misha

Post by Misha »

He would most assuredly be convinced that more of the world needed to be medicated.

Actually, he would probably think that he had too much time on his hands if he was reading this and then would promptly throw his Imac (in my world he uses a Mac, which I don't) on the bed and then start writing another song about wingnut fans......

We win either way!
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

It's not really as bad as some artist's fans'n which are sites full of gossip, hearsay and rumour...there is no (little) fawning over the man's appearance, or hearsay about his private life. We generally stick to the music and tour info.

Still, I can't imagine anyone not feeling a little bemused (scared?) by the idea that they had spawned a website.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Well, at least they're not trying to sell my underpants on ebay"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

There is not a question in my mind that, on occasion and with some regularity, Elvis reviews this site to gain some insight into a small but important segment of his fan base...the zealots who spend time here hypothesizing, theorizing, and agonizing over his artistic adventures.

Can you imagine what a fertile source of information a site like this might be to an artist who is constantly bent on improvement and expansion of his art? Not that he will necessarily veer wildly onto a different course because we 'want' him to do a rock and roll record after "North", or that we 'want' him to play a certain combinations of songs in a local venue. He will follow his own path, as his inner muse directs it.

But lets face it, if any one of you knew that there was a website dedicated to monitoring your art, your behavior, critiquing your public appearances, and characterizing the 'type' of person who spends 25% of every paycheck on your catalog/portfolio, I think it would be hard NOT to look in from time to time. Heck, let's even pretend that Elvis does not possess a narcissistic streak as wide as the horn-rims on the cover of MAIT. If only "strictly business", and using this forum for a sort of informal data mining, I cannot believe he would be able to NOT visit, and pour over it, at least on occasion.

He may abhor his critics. He may despise the press. But like it or not, the general populace of this board (save maybe Copenhagen Fan) are real people who have a proclivity to want to invest in Elvis Costello as an artist and a person. I think that he is keenly aware of that. If he was clueless, he wouldn't be doing comedy gigs on Conan and hosting Letterman.

Finally, I don't think it too much of a stretch of the imagination to think that fervent discussions and point/counterpoints spawned by the postings of Noise, ARL, and others may not be considered fodder for inspiration.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Blue Chair, speak for yourself.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Misha

Post by Misha »

Blue....

Let me get this straight.....we are NOT supposed to do that? Shit....I've got some undoing to do! :shock:

Mr. Average...

In case you are right on the biggest off chance:

Elvis---don't you think it's time to dust off the rockin' version of 'Battered Old Bird'? :D :D :D :D

(It couldn't hurt!!!! :? )
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Well, there are artists who do read boards and occasionally even post -- Joss Whedon recently popped up on "Firefly" board thanking people for helping him launch a movie he's trying to get made from short-lived (but really great, plug-plug) TV series.

And EC probably has someone at least keeping tabs on what various boards are saying. But I'd be surprised if he has time to, say, register an opinion on the latest Noise vs. ARL controversy.

Of course, he -- or his "person" -- hangs on my every word. (Did I just think that or did I write it?) :shock:
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I doubt it...but think that he'd be suprised about how many dorks dig his music.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

He probably has an assistant who does the actual reading and gives him a synopsis... 'cause... wouldn't you?

What I really need is a wife.
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Lipstick: No, I would not.

Bobster: First, I look forward to meeting you this week. It will be a pleasure. Second, my comments were not meant to be taken literally...that I believe that Elvis will leap headlong into a point/counterpoint between ARL and NoiseRadio. My comment was suggestive of the fact that such discussions might provide some fodder...some grist for the mill...for inspiration. I cannot tell you how many times ARL has posted things that I think are borderline insane and brilliant at the same time, and that he has posted things that cause me to think about things long after I have left the forum and moved on to other things. Same with Noise, but with emphasis on the brilliant part. [ A clear bias here because of his direct, scathing, comical, and assertive handling of past sensitive situations under the pseudonym "Descartes"...brilliant in it's concise, simple, and clear message].

So if EC writes a song about milking cows and castrating hogs and it is called "Descartes", then maybe, just maybe, it was inspired by something that happened here.

Bottomline: I like this forum because it makes me think about things that do not typically surface in my everyday life. Some of those things I like, some I do not, some are inspirational, some are not.

But they stimulate thought...for whatever that is worth. If I were blessed with the talent of a musician or a songwriter, I 'think' that I would find idea's in a place like this.

But I will never know for sure.

Thanks for your comments. They inspired me to think.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

I'm sure he doesn't read this - it'd just make him angry (still maybe when he wants to get angry...). He got grumpily pissed of with the offical site Ask Elvis bit and blamed all of us for spoiling it - which was a bit unfair! Judging by interviews, he imagines sometimes that we're all hung up on various parts of his career and won't accept whatever he's doing.

He's very lucky he has a loyal core audience, but like any inquiring artist he wants to reach beyond them, not just play to the same faces year in year out. He was very sincere at the gigs last year when he thanked us to listening to the songs from North and said how important that was to him. What pisses me off is that he then often lumps us together with the more narrow minded journalists who write about him. At the same time he's a fan and gives us what fans want: great marathon gigs, expanded reissues, liner notes, etc. He loves us really I'm sure....
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I agree with Paul B for the most part. I do think he probably read the MB on the Island Site, back in the day, (and not just as Noise's many impersonations) but there are other EC forums and I doubt he trolls around to see what we think of him, cause I don't think he really cares.

I'm sure he knows it's a mixed bag of folks he would like and folks he wouldn't but that ain't the world he lives in. He seems to be constantly working, I can't imagine he has any time or use for this.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

He definitely read the board at the Island site because he told us so in one of his journal entries there. He seemed to be pretty unimpressed with the lot of us . . . Though I guess it would be kind of disconcerting to go on the internet and find a whole forum whose only reason for existence is to talk about you.

And I also agree with Paul. He loves us really, he just . . . doesnt know how to tell us . . .
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Hi Pip, maybe he let's us know by sometimes spoiling us just how he likes to be spoiled as a fan himself! Did you by any chance see Elvis's obituary piece for Sinatra in Mojo magazine a few years back. He described seeing Ol' Blue Eyes at London's Festival Hall and his joy and surpirse when Frank played a particular back catalogue obscurity that Elvis had always loved and felt was being played just for him. Well, Elvis has done just the same for me a number of times at the same hall!
bobster

Post by bobster »

pip_52 wrote:He definitely read the board at the Island site because he told us so in one of his journal entries there. He seemed to be pretty unimpressed with the lot of us . . . .
I don't remember this at all. Anyone know more specifically what EC said?

It seems pretty clear to me that EC likes his fans, at least in the same way that the following exchange happened between me and Harvey "American Splendor" Pekar at a Comicon some years ago when I handed him some comics to sign.

Harvey: "What's your name? Want me to make it out to somebody?"

Bobster: "Oh, that's okay. Just signing your name is fine."

Harvey: "Why, you gonna sell these on the Internet or something?"

Bobster: "No. I don't know. I guess it's just that I don't need to pretend like we're great friends or something."

Harvey: "You spent $30.00 on my comics. You ARE my friend."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hah, that's great.

*note to self... see American Splendor*

in fact, I think it comes out on DVD tomorrow.. along with Lost In Translation :D :D :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

From his 5th and final journal entry:

With that I think I shall bid you all farewell until another time and place. I was hoping that this site would be the beginning of a new mode of communication. Beyond the crackpots, seething critics and whiny babies there are some genuinely thoughtful and sensitive people out there and I don’t just mean the ones who pay me handsome compliments.

I think just the fact that he went to the time and trouble of writing those incredibly long, super detailed journal entries at all, not to mention answering tons of questions for the Ask Elvis section, proves that he loves us . . . in some respect, though.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I only recall him answering the questions but my memory is fallible.

I'm sure he likes us fine; I only said I don't think he cares what we think of him-- i.e., his personal life and his music are not gonna be affected by anything anyone says to or about him on that count. I don't think all celebs are strictly that way but he is.

On that topic coincidently, and for contrast: I've been watching the DVD Jeff Buckley LIVE IN CHICAGO, and at the end of the show, before he walks offstage, when the audience is showering him with passionate, almost desperate applause, he just says into mic, "I love you too. I love you too." Corny but from him you know he really meant it.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

crackpots, seething critics and whiny babies
...might have been in reference to the 'Ask Elvis' people, but he'd probably assume them to be on the messageboard as well.

I doubt he'd ever admit to reading any of this, though he probably has had a peek just to check the vibe. Anyway, are we really an accurate cross section of EC customers? I think not. Most of us here have most of his albums and so on. A lot of other EC fans wouldn't spend time on a messageboard because they don't have them, besides their not being attracted to post in general.
Mr. Average

California Dreamin'

Post by Mr. Average »

Okay, I will call this the "California Dreamin' post...

I stand by my belief that he checks us out. I don't visit, read, or contribute (using the term loosely) in the hope that he does visit and may read it. My first incentive to visit was because I admired the artist and wanted to learn more about his art. That still is the major propellant that makes me click on the fav link http://www.elviscostellofans.com, but the second reason is for the personalities and what they contribute.

NoiseRadio is a gem. I wish I had had teachers like him when I was in school. If my daughter could attend his school, I would insist that she take his class. There are so many facets to the guy that render him to be one of the few...the proud...the Army!
Lapsinjolie revealed herself to be a kind, incredibly thoughtful person during a crisis period in my life...something that went far to bring peace back to my life during a troubled time...and I will never forget it. All through the magic of a simple PM that left me so touched that, amazingly, I was left speechless. Doesn't happen to often. And I wouldn't know her if she approached me and slapped my across the face with the butt of a "45".
Misha extended herself based only on the lost art of Trust in another human being. These people, just to name a very few, have done something very special to Mr. Average. That is inspirational.

I crap you negative...this is my sincere belief. This is an eclectic group of intelligent, thoughtful people. I learn so much here. And Elvis is a marketeer. If he worked as a common professional in a commodity market, I'll bet he would work in the marketing department. He is creative, outrageous, willing to push the envelop of the art, and somewhat of an exhibitionist with an 'earned' narcissistic streak.

So I will hold firm to my firm belief that he visits and gets something from this group. He will let us know, somehow, when the time is right. How about now, Elvis, on the eve of the charitable event at the House of Blues in Hollywood. Tell us something that only you would know. And confirm it at the show, to close the loop. Speaking as a totally unauthorized and incapable spokesman for the board, specific to this one topic, I think I can confidently offer the assurance that the group is above the need to deluge you back with specific quieries pertaining to you and your personal and professional life.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I thought the wonderful "Kate" would relay all of our heartfelt thoughts back to Elvis.

Her latest email says

"January 30, 2004
Hello there,

It's Kate here, welcome back to the Elvis Costello Experience! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday break. For those of you that are just joining us we'd like to give a special welcome and hope you're ready for some exciting things headed your way.

As you may already know ElvisCostello is hitting the road very soon. We can't wait for you to start spreading the word about the most exciting tour of 2004. First I want to make sure YOU are checking out the tour dates and ordering your tickets NOW so you don't miss out on an amazing show!"
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Mr. Average, it's mine turn to be rendered speechless. How kind of you to mention it. I'd never hit you (I've seen your karate picture) but I may hand you a gift I had gotten you for the thwarted get together in March. Alison is lucky to have such a selfless father.

I'm pretty sure he read the first board. I think he'd feel as we do delighted, applauded, shocked and amused. It would be very savvy to use a free tool such as a message board to test the market place. I'm just not sure he kept tracking us down.

If he does--- I'll be at the Clearwater show, 6th row black shirt with a v-neck. If you'd be so kind say something about rabbits and make continual smoldering eye contact. I'd be convinced then!

Strangely Kate never writes me.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."