ABC, Brisbane Radio interview.

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s971891.htm

Elvis Costello tells ABC Brisbane: I'm Sickened by the Music Industry
Reporter: Scott Spark

Presenter: Spencer Howson

Tuesday, 21 October 2003

Elvis Costello

He’s one of our most enduring rock musicians and pop-cultural icons. Yet, in all his 26-years of releasing music, Elvis Costello has never achieved a #1 hit record on any chart, anywhere in the world. Until now!

Elvis Costello’s twentieth album, “North”, was released last month, and has just topped the Billboard Traditional Jazz Album Chart.

612 ABC Brisbane’s Scott Spark discovered a man sickened by the industry in which he works and seriously considering ending his recording career yet, at the same time, happy to celebrate his first ever #1 record!!

Exclusive to ABC Online, here's a thirty minute edit of Scott Spark's original interview (including seventeen minutes of bonus material, not broadcast on 612 ABC Brisbane).

Listen to Elvis Costello with 612 ABC Brisbane's Scott Spark
( Audio in RealMedia format ) | Requires RealPlayer
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Giving this interview a listen as I write.
16 minutes in is the news that the orchestral record wont be out till the end of 2004, when EC's hope to have orchestras lined up to play it live.
Then he says he does'nt plan to play the UK again, following the reception the UK media gave North.
Interesting stuff, well worth a listen. Mr. Howson is a good listener.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow. Worth a listen. EC doesn't sound too happy about the reception North received in the UK. You have to wonder if he will keep his word about never playing the UK again. Some of you may have just seen him live for the last time. :(
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Uh-oh, where's Verbal? Maybe he can get EC to change his mind on that one.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Some of you may have just seen him live for the last time.

Don't get hysterical, WSS? And lose one of his biggest markets? Yeah...that's a really good idea, Elvis. How about he actually follows through with one of his empty threats for once?

I love him dearly but he infuriates me sometimes.

* If he "truly believes" he'll never play in England again, does that mean the two dates here in early November are cancelled? *
Last edited by PlaythingOrPet on Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

POP:

I am not "hysterical." Read my post again. I did say that "You have to wonder if he'll keep his word..."

I doubt it, but it shows you how angry he is about the UK media...
A rope leash

O Canada!

Post by A rope leash »

I think he prefers non-aligned countries!

Of all cultures, you'd have thought the British would have embraced North.

Ahhh...there's nothing quite like Elvis Costello pissing about his fans!

Of course, swearing off the homeland makes it easier to defect to Canada!
You done him wrong! How could you?!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Over-dramatic then, Sam. Have there not been some bloody awful reviews of North in the US, or am I making that up? One of the best anywhere was in Word magazine, which is, um, English.

I just hate his flippant disregard for the British audience, most of which, taking a wild guess here, are not music magazine hacks. Saying that, it was a good interview. :roll:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Diana may be sending him subliminal messages to "hate British, love Canadians."
Misha

Post by Misha »

Whoever sees Elvis next, remind him that British Press is not equal to British People. He's lived his whole life not giving a rats ass about it, I'd like to see him continue to do so.

Punishing a whole collection of countries because of their media is juvenile. Thought he was done being juvenile.....alas...
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:* If he "truly believes" he'll never play in England again, does that mean the two dates here in early November are cancelled? *
Nnnnnnooooooooo!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Over-dramatic then, Sam. Have there not been some bloody awful reviews of North in the US, or am I making that up? One of the best anywhere was in Word magazine, which is, um, English.

I just hate his flippant disregard for the British audience, most of which, taking a wild guess here, are not music magazine hacks. Saying that, it was a good interview. :roll:
Fair enough. The Salon review, one of the more negative ones I've read over here, certainly did not speak for me. The perfunctory dismissal of the album in this month's issue of Uncut was incredibly shallow and unfair. EC's never been a fan of music critics, but this album has elicited some especially thoughtless assessments based on stuff totally unrelated to the music itself.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

martinfoyle wrote: Then he says he does'nt plan to play the UK again, following the reception the UK media gave North.

Well, he has been known to hold a grudge . . .
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Just 'cos the music reviewer in the musical equivalent of tabloids think that North is average...no need to punish the fans Elv!

Judging by the turnout at Glasgow this UK leg has been pretty successful...so I don't think he'll not play here again. When he says UK does he mean that he'll play in Eire again...I'll have to pop on the ferry, either that or catch the plane to the big country.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"I'm not making records for people who don't want to listen, I'm making them for people who DO want to listen"

Way to go, Elvis. From the sound of it, his next record (the orchestral one) may be his most challenging yet.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
John

Post by John »

I feel very sad after listening to that interview.
At the end of the Manchester concert he said something like "hope to see you all again soon".
Looks like he's changed his mind.

Like some of the previous comments, how can he mix up the British press with his British fans? There were lots of very happy people who exited the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.

"No longer welcome in the UK" - utter rubbish.
It would be nice to e-mail him directly to put him straight. :cry:
It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

But he doesnt have fans . . .

Im still not entirely sure what he meant by that.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Elvis has been acting kind of weird lately :?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

BlueChair wrote:Elvis has been acting kind of weird lately :?
And we're suprised because???

:shock:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

He needs a good slap to the head.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

No way! he's the best!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

A little harsh, maybe. But threatening never to play the UK again, nitpicking about praise received, the oft-repeated "I'm gonna retire..." Jeezum Crow. It's empty words after a while.

Then I'll listen to something or see something on TV and I will love him again.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

It's the chick I'm telling you. It's the chick. :?
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

The UK reviews were almost ALL negative-- yes, there have been a few notable exceptions like MOJO and WORD, but other than that it has been by far the WORST reception a Costello record has ever gotten in the UK.

In the US, the reviews have been more typically mixed. There were some harsh ones, like SALON's ridiculous diatribe, but far more critics here seemed to at least appreciate what he was trying for rather than dismissing it out-of-hand. If you line up the pro- and con- reviews from the US and the UK side by side, it's pretty easy to spot the disparity. Quite frankly, I was surprised at the imbalance, and expected to both countries to have an even mix of good and bad reviews.

However, it seems unfair to blame the whole country for what a handful of people write in the newspapers. My impression is that the UK concerts have been well received (even well-REVIEWED in the papers), and he has always claimed to not give much regard to what the critics think anyway. Now, to melodramatically say he will never, ever perform in the UK again. (And, since everyone seems to have jumped on the apparant inconsistency, I think we can assume he means AFTER this tour is over with), it all seems like a huge overreaction.

I think that Costello has always been a critics favorite, and at the same time, the critics have occasionally been too hard on him because their expectations are so high, or they are simply too jaded or don't like change. But for Costello to punish his UK fanbase seems like his misdirecting his anger.

Also, his threat to stop recording makes me want to puke. He is a diehard music fan and record buff-- he would no doubt hate to hear that Dylan or Waits or other artists he loves were giving up making records because of their record label woes. This is a guy who makes up games like "What songs would Elvis Presley have recorded if he was still alive today?"

He should know that this kind of talk makes his fans feel jerked around. And if he thinks NORTH got a rough reception, how does he think people will judge it if he stops making records in a bitter huff? This record will be viewed with anger, with scorn, as the album that ended his 25 year career as a recording artist! Diana Krall will be looked upon as his Yoko, the woman who, instead of inspiring him to greater artistic heights, spawned the album that led to his early retirement into talk-show host exile!

Come on, Elvis. Make some more records. You know you want to!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:Elvis has been acting kind of weird lately :?
He's got a wedding to sort out. There's a lot of stress involved in sorting out a wedding. :)

He's just having a bad day. We're all entitled to them. I mean, Elvis was saying not long ago that he and the Attractions would break up after or during every album.

He said on Frank Skinner that he's got his next five albums planned. Even if this wasn't strictly true, Elvis is always at least two steps ahead of everybody else. We all know he'll make the albums he wants to make. He'll then tour with them to promote them and, more importantly to him, try and open up people's ears. I've said it before, Elvis will never give a toss about the media. He knows he's got a loyal fan base in the UK.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?