Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gudjohnsen signed at Barca - £8 million transfer. I'm really sad to see him go - definitely one of my favorite players since I started following the club. I loved his strike partnership with Hasselbaink and he scored one of the nicest goals I've ever seen - the overhead kick against dirty Leeds in 2003. Best of luck Eidur!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

charliestumpy - phew! I bet you're glad to get that lot off your chest! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
charliestumpy

Eidur - Huth

Post by charliestumpy »

I am sad to see Eidur & Robert Huth leave Chels and not happy yet with their new signings.

Argentina were jolly good in their 2nd game and as in African cup Of Nations one feared that they would not win although they were good enough to draw their games against Arg and Holl.

Nice to see Angola get draw. I though Swede were quite good despite 1 goal so far. Looks like Spain-Germany-Arg to win World Cup.

Peeps who tipped the Spurs winger for Engl seem to be right.

If Lampard plays again, Gerrard should be upfront instead of recovering-will-score-crucial-goals-again Owen-Rooney.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Not happy with Bollocks and Schevchenko??????
We're struggling to buy Curtis Davies.
No pleasing some people.

(That's the third bollocks in three submissions - some sort of record?)
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fishfinger king wrote:Not happy with Bollocks and Schevchenko??????
'Zactly. No pleasing some people. I do, however, have this funny feeling that we will struggle a bit next season. The injury bug is bound to bite eventually, and lots of new faces. Hope I'm wrong.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Please may you be correct! Please let their be a serious 4 or 5 horse race.

Also, please can we have Martin O'Neill? I love him on the BBC, so much more intelligent and interesting than the norm. The combo of him and Hansen getting serious and technical and Wrighty giggling (e.g. about the Spanish fly on the camera marking a Tunisian etc.) is perfect.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Otis, I agree 110%.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

To think England could have had O'Neill and took McClaren :x

Imagine the sense of optimism we'd have now, knowing O'Neill was about to take over.
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm sure that McLaren will be a different kind of manager that Sven (in the same way that I'm sure that Togo will win the World Cup).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

I agree totally about O'Neill, and it would have suited him well with his sick wife - better than a Prem jopb at least, but really I just hope he takes over from Ferg. It's going to take someone special t do that, and he's the man.
charliestumpy

Manager

Post by charliestumpy »

I despite seeing logic of appointing ex-Midd Mc would have preferred English Sam or someone or even British O'Neill.

IMO Bra after 2 disappointing turnouts were jolly good fun again with Jap help last night.
charliestumpy

FIFA

Post by charliestumpy »

FIFA are IMO are bunch of bananas, especially Sap Bloater and most of the World cup refereeing-ass. refereeing, which has been as abysmal as some players/teams. Bit like UK Government.
charliestumpy

Port Ron

Post by charliestumpy »

IMO Portuguese MUt Ronaldo is a cheating bast, and I now regret MUt fans slagging him off/feeling he was hard done by when chap in earlier match took drop-kick near his bollocks.

IMO the sooner Fergie sells him out of Premier League the better.

We were not surprised when penalties were 'saved'/Jamie C.'s first shot was disallowed.

Two decent sides remain - Germs and Francs. Good sides who should have done better have gone (Eng-Arg-Bra-Ghan-Iv. Coast-Oz).

FYFFA-Sup Bleater are twats.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hee hee!

Hoddle out at Wolves. Where's crow?

And one for your moody - Dorky Djork busted...

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/MLS/n ... p&team=rbn
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one! They showed him watching the game, talking to a nice looking wife/partner/friend/groupie. Apparently Jagger was there too. Had no idea Youri had gone Stateside. Thought he'd decided to live long term in Bolton!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well I can finally post again after coming out of a major depression on getting booted out of the world cup. We didnt deserve to lose this one. They battled like lions in extreme heat and I think they deserved to win, but as soon as it went to penalties we all knew what the result would be. I cant understand why we have such a bad track record - out of 6 shoot outs we have lost 5!! Why is this? We have world class players and they had been practicing penalties every day for 2 fucking weeks!!!!

Rooney should have been awarded a foul straightoff anyway - he was fouled first and yet not even a yellow card was produced. (something which went on rather a lot throughout the game). As for deliberatley stamping on Carvalhos balls - if he had done that and meant it Carvalho would not have got back up again. He was set up and fell right into the trap. As for Ronaldo I hope he doesnt come back to England - ever! Its all very well making speeches about anti racisim but what about playing fair football? Portugal were diving when our players were nowhere near them......

As for Beckham im sad to see him go. Hes been a good captain and done it with integrity flair and sex appeal. I hope to see him in future matches for England but I think he has done the right thiing, its time to move on - clean sweep and all that.

As for Sven - goodbye and good luck in getting a new post - you will need it!!!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:As for Beckham im sad to see him go. Hes been a good captain and done it with integrity flair and sex appeal.
That's the important thing isn't it? The sex appeal! Maybe the team will start to grow a spine now that that preening pretty boy has surrendered the captain's armband. What an overrated show-pony.

What color is the sky in your world Gilli? I'm perfectly willing to admit that our USA team was shit and deserved to get bounced out. England weren't much better. I'll have to watch that Rooney foul again, but I have a hard time believing that Carvalho strategically placed his nuts under Rooney's boot in hopes of getting him sent off.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

You didnt read my post properly WSS-

I didnt say England were great all the way through I said they didnt deserve to lose against Portugal!

As for Beckham did I say sex appeal was the most important thing? Get real - im a football fan!! -but that doesnt mean to say I cant appreciate a good looking guy when i see one! He had it all - talent , good looks and could make money from it - isnt jealousy a terrible thing??
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:I didnt say England were great all the way through I said they didnt deserve to lose against Portugal!
Nobody deserved to win that match. Blatter should have called an end to it and thrown them both out of the tournament. ;-)

I am no fan of Portugal or their style - and Ronaldo's antics were pretty sickening - but I didn't see a lot of fight from England. Sven is most to blame - he had years to plan for this tournament but fucked up by 1) choosing the wrong team; 2) not having a clearly-defined tactical strategy or strategies (still playing with formations a month before the tournament); and 3) being the least inspiring manager on the face of the Earth. They should get better under McClaren, if for no other reason than that they can't do much worse with the talent at their disposal.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

:lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I have to agree with WSS regarding the sexy Beckham stuff. Ok, he's a good looking geezer, but I truly believe that he has been selected for Real and England because of his 'marketability' as opposed to his form or ability for the past five years.

This has cost us dear, as better players (and better captains) have been excluded from the side (and from taking free-kicks) whilst he makes a few bucks for the sponsors. He has won player of the match on many occasions when he was undeserving. It seems obvious to me that the sponsor or their daughter/spouse/son/gay lover just wants to meet a fashion icon.

This sort of bollox is ruining the game for me and real footie fans. I watched the Portugal game with a mixed group and several women present were constantly giving reasons as to why Beckham should be in the side. None of them were for footballing reasons and had more to do with 'Becks Pecs'. When I pointed out the inanity of this, I was told that I was just jealous. This insults my intelligence and is a purile defence for such 'girliness', that does women football fans no favours at all. One point made is that many men would cheer on Sharapova in a tennis match because of how she looks. Maybe so, but this would surely mark them out as unserious tennis fans.

I have no problem with knowledgeable women supporters. I have no problem with women finding Beckham sexy. I do have a problem with this being the reason for his inclusion in a team hoping to win the WC!

I can honestly say that I would be far more jealous of someone like Michel Platini, Glenn Hoddle, Liam Brady, ZZ or Stephen Gerrard (despite his lukewarm WC). Real genius and not just hyped up poseurs living off one or two free kicks and a celeb marriage. :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

So you think that clubs paid big bucks for him and he had an England place just because he can sell razors then? Bollocks! He is coming to the end of his career now but he has been an outstanding player and can still put in a good performance. Players like Beckham pull in the crowds to go watch the game and thats what its all about......

Jackson you obviously hang around with the wrong women if they judge a players worth by his looks!! If thats the case Rooney should be worth around 50p! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeah, like Real Madrid need Beckham to draw in the crowds. :roll:

David Beckham is a huge multi-national icon. As such, he and his agents wield a huge amount of power. He probably ranks as the biggest single player commodity the world has ever seen. More valuable commercially than Pele, George Best, Maradona, Ronaldo and Henry combined. Put Beckham in with that lot and see if you can work out who is the odd man out. :lol: Beckham makes mega-bucks for Real. Simple as that. I think he's a nice guy from what I've seen, but hey, so is Jamie Redknapp!

You are being very naive Gilli, if you think he doesn't sometimes get a place on the basis of his commercial value. As VG said in another thread, its all about 'Brand Beckham'.

Ps. Please tell me when Beckham last had an 'outstanding' game for England in a meaningful match against top notch opposition. I'll give you a hint.............September 1 2001 - Munich.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

When did we beat Greece? That was pretty good. Munich was great.

I think real's number 1 motive was to try and make themselves more loved in Asia, no? Man U had blazed the trail and increased their merchandise revenue no end via this route and RM were jealous.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Exactly. More loved = more shirt sales.

Apologies - England v Greece was a month later than the Germany match.. :oops:
corruptio optimi pessima