River in Reverse discussion

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Now that I've sat with this record for a week, I can easily say it falls between the 4 and 5 star territory. I think I like it better than both When I Was Cruel and The Delivery Man.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I too am listening to this, although I won't say how. I am still selecting my favorite tracks but I love the overall sound. I am pleased to hear how much you are enjoying it, Blue.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Between 4 & 5 is about right. It does sound great, my only reservation is that it's a bit too long. 45 minutes would have been about right, though I cant say which tracks I'd drop. Whatever, you are all in for a treat when it becomes generally availble.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

He does tend to be unable to edit his albums down to a reasonable length recently. How long is it?
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

not that long.. like 56 minutes or something
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

(from listserv)

A video of the song 'The River In Reverse' from New Orleans Jazz Fest:
http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=53250 ... e8&f=jazzf

A video of the song 'International Echo' from the Tribeca Film Festival:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_q1ywzl ... 20costello
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It's 52:56. I don't think it feels too long at all.

That said, I do think one song (and only one) misses the mark, so if I had to drop one, I know which it would be.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I suppose it's not too long compared with WIWC. It just doesn't hold up, imo, for the whole 52 minutes. Over on the eclistserv there has been a prolonged discussion about the similiarities between International Echo and Party Party. 'Echo actually reminds me a lot of Fish & Chip Paper. Another track reminds me a lot of a Randy Newman song, tunewise. We'll say no more until we've all heard it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John

Post by John »

KOA is 58 minutes with a couple of duffers, so 53 minutes with only one weak track will do fine for me. I can't wait to hear this. "The River In Reverse" sounds just great on the video. How does this compare to the album?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv -

Re- Japanese release of RIR

OK, so here is a translation of the track listing!

Disk 1:
1. On Your Way Down
2. Nearer To You
3. Tears, Tears And More Tears
4. The Sharpest Thorn
5. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
6. The River In Reverse
7. Freedom For The Stallion
8. Broken Promise Land
9. Ascension Day
10. International Echo
11. All These Things
12. Wonder Woman
13. Six-Fingered Man
14. The Greatest Love

Disc 2: (it should be the DVD)
1. Tears, Tears And More Tears
2. The Sharpest Thorn
3. What Do You Want The Girl To Do?
4. The River In Reverse
5. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
6. All These Things
7. Freedom For The Stallion
8. Sweet Georgia Brown
9. Ascension Day
10. On Your Way Down

Ayako
charliestumpy

TRIR - DVD version ...

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta for DVD-song listing - seems as if there's 2 on it not officially released - knew there was some reason why I ordered DVD version at fiver more ... will check out quickest-cheapest-best way of buying Japanese release (with DVD) in UK. In past have made do with downloading Japanese bonus tracks until they get included on some UK rere mish-mash ...

I obviously like Costello, but IMO his 'record' companies have always been absolute crap at selling his recorded product/pissing off potential purchasers etc ...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The Japanese market... what makes them so special. They should just get some superfluous bonus two tracks like Pump It Up and Alison live or something.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've heard they give the Japanese market extra stuff on a lot of releases because CDs are significantly more expensive in the country.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

BlueChair wrote:I've heard they give the Japanese market extra stuff on a lot of releases because CDs are significantly more expensive in the country.
Yeah the Japanese My Flame Burns Blue was more than twice the price of the imported CD (US I think) when I was there in February.

Some Japanese labels refuse to release anything without bonus tracks because they need the completist exports to make money on it; it's not only for the sake of the locals almost getting their money's worth.

So they should just do import presses, distribute them as Japanese releases and stick a translation sheet in there if they insist IMHO.
What this world needs is more silly men.
John

Post by John »

A clip of each track can be heard on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FA ... nce&n=5174
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Playing through the 30 second samples, I'm quietly optimistic about this album. I'm glad "All These Things" finally found it's way on an album, I loved his version on the Blood and Chocolate bonus disc, and this one seems just as good. Perhaps a couple of badly chosed covers, but I like the general sound and mood of this record. My favourite track on first listen was definitely "Sharpest Thorn". So generally I'm optimistic, I just hope this record doesn't go the way of When I Was Cruel North, My Flame Burns Blue and most of the Juliet Letters - an enjoyable record that I don't play much because it's a bit long and not that high a tempo. I listen to Costello mostly in my walkman when I'm walkman, and those four albums aren't good to walk to.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Sharpest Thorn is really good for me as well. My fave so far.
migdd

Post by migdd »

As someone who had a BOOTLEG copy of Blood and Chocolate four months prior to release, and a BOOTLEG copy of KOA two months prior to it's hallowed street date, I'm proud to say I've only heard the 30 second snippets on Amazon.com with no advance copy in sight. I look forward to June 6th (one day prior to my 47th birthday) when I can wander over to my neighborhood record shop (BEST BUY!!!. . .sigh) and purchase this virgin CD. . .hot off the cherry tree. :wink:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

You can listen to an almost complete 'Tears, Tears and More Tears' here:

http://www.radio1.be/radio1_master/home ... index.html

Click on "Programma's". Then click "Carte Blanche" in the schedule. Press "Beluister de jongste uitzending" (listen again), an internetradio player will open. The song is at 0:51

You can listen again to this radio programme for just one week.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sounds great!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Since , presumably , those of you who want it will have, by now, purchased a copy of The Word's May issue , it seems safe enough to post the text of the Costello/Toussaint feature in it.

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/

The Word , May '06

IF YOUR NAME’S ELVIS AND THIS IS TUESDAY..

...that could mean a collaboration with Allen Toussaint, a few standards with Tony Bennett or a night at the Grand Ole Opry. But it could as easily have been country or ballet, film music or jazz. TOBY MANNING meets the intrepid explorer in New York

" SHALL I TELL YOU my week?â€
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sun May 21, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Post by John »

Tears, tears and more tears is storming up this airplay chart. Now at 18.

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=16700