Ryko vs Rhino remastering

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

Ryko vs Rhino remastering

Post by bambooneedle »

A question for people that own both Ryko and Rhino versions of some EC albums.

Do any of the Ryko remasterings compare in quality with the Rhino ones? Are they interesting? Are any worth hearing if you already have the Rhino ones?
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

This wonderful site will tell you the basics about which tracks sound different between the two series; beyond those tracks, if you've got the Rhinos, you don't need the Rykos. At least that's my opinion, and I've got all of both.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thanks. Good link. They (the Rykos) are hardly worth bothering about then it seems.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

bambooneedle wrote:Thanks. Good link. They (the Rykos) are hardly worth bothering about then it seems.
Well, they were pretty important at the time. A few of them have been rendered obselete, but I still have fond memories of the days I first heard "Cheap Reward", "Sad About Girls", "Running Out Of Angels", "Suffering Face", etc. My copies have been relegated to a different rack to save space, but I'm holding onto them.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I'd buy them cheaply for an extra track or two or if the mixes are worth checking out, but otherwise no.

But if the Rhinos are so much greater, I don't get folks' complaints about another set of reissues... Now, if they began another set...
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

if you get any of the Ryko ones, get "Almost Blue". There's live versions of "He's Got You" and "Cry Cry Cry" worth checking out. If you like EC and the A's up-tempo live take on country songs in the Rhino reissue, you ought to hear these. If you can pick AB up cheaply, that is.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.