Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis - tsk tsk tsk...

Dropping points to Brum.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yeah but if that arsehole of a ref had booked Butt (ex red traitor scum) like he should have done, they wouldn't have scroed. As was recently observed by your good self, some shocking reffing going on this season, and here was a clear case of the player being hacked down, no question of the ball being involved. It was a nightmare cos I switched off the radio at about 75 mins, putting my lad to bed, and all was well - we were 2-1 up, M City were holding Chelsea, Henry, my FF captain, had delivered big time, and then the first two of those went tits up. We were sooooo close to making that 9 point gap become a 7 point one. It's getting very predictable. I was on the tube in London with hordes of Arse fans en route to Finsbury Park at 7.15. I was perfectly civil, telling them I hoped they enjoyed the game, etc., when of course I was dying to scream 'I worship Man Utd and we're much better than you lot!' though I was tempted to reveal I was praying for Henry to get an assist and two goals, just like he did! I got almost nostalgic for Highbury as we pulled out on the 7.45 and we could see the lights and action getting underway.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Glen Hoddle:

"I'm sick and tired of saying we played good football. It feels like we have lost. Until we start putting teams to the sword, we're going to under-achieve.

"We've proved we aren't clinical enough and I'm looking to bring in somebody up front. Not that it is easy to bring in the quality that will make a difference with about £2m - and that includes wages."

Excuses...excuses...excuses....same old Wolves, new season.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Great win for the Spurs tonight. Always in control and with no King, Defoe, Davids or Tainio. We've got some real depth at the club now, with so many quality players on the bench or on the fringes.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Bleeding Tainio, he was on my bench the day he scored, when he wasn't meant to be playing, and tonight he's not even a sub. Gotta laugh at Man City's recent uselessness, though. Shame we couldn't bury indifferent Arse yesterday, would have made a nice farewell to Highbury.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I would have expected the Arse to have woken up from their malaise by now. My Gooner Bro-in Law reckons they'll still get runners-up. He's bet me a tenner they finish higher than Spurs. The latter is definitely still possible, the latter highly unlikely.

Now, whilst pride made me take him up on the bet, I have always thought that the Arse were just lulling everyone into a false sense of security. Maybe they are.

However, last night I got to thinking which Arse players I would really love Spurs to trade one of our boys for. There weren't many. Henry (obviously), Ashley Cole, Hleb, Possibly Fabregas (tho he'd only warm our bench) and Reyes when he isn't feeling a bit cold and pissed off cos someone's had the temerity to tackle him. None of the others strike fear and trepidation like they used to.

This is a million miles off 2 years ago when not one of our lot would make their squad, much less their team. Things could becoem very different when they start filling Ashburton Grove. I don't know.

Utd are in a similar transitional position. I'll be interested to see if Glazer dips his hand in his pocked this summer.

For me, Liverpool are the side who can challenge Chelsea next year, IF they manage to hold onto Benitez, who I regard very highly. He seems to learn from mistakes.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:However, last night I got to thinking which Arse players I would really love Spurs to trade one of our boys for. There weren't many. Henry (obviously), Ashley Cole, Hleb, Possibly Fabregas (tho he'd only warm our bench) and Reyes when he isn't feeling a bit cold and pissed off cos someone's had the temerity to tackle him. None of the others strike fear and trepidation like they used to.
They looked very predictable against ManU - everything through the middle of the park. I know they love the quick short passes but I think they need to learn how to get goals from crosses, long-balls and corners as well. But I can't see Wenger playing that way.
Otis Westinghouse

Mark Lawrenson snorted derisively at the idea of Spurs ending higher than Arse, but I reckon they can and should if they can keep their act together, which Jol seems to be capable of inspiring (apart from that shocking collapse they against someone over Christmas).

Arse and ManU have too much averageness in the side, and managers who've been there too long to motivate in the way that new pretenders like Rafa and Jol can. I would put good money on MU ending higher than Arse, and at least we'll have a real competition in the Prem over second place.

I reckon Vidic is a good piece of news. We need that big, strong, central defence Stam-esque anchor man to play alongside Rio - could make us a lot harder to beat from here on. Shame he's not onto a new midfielder of similar promise...
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Mark Lawrenson snorted derisively at the idea of Spurs ending higher than Arse, but I reckon they can and should if they can keep their act together, which Jol seems to be capable of inspiring (apart from that shocking collapse they against someone over Christmas).
Mark Lawrenson must have had a bad experience at Spurs in the past. He never ever gives us anything but the most begrudging praise. I always have a look at his predictions on the BBC website each Friday and he always starts "Spurs don't look convincing to me, but may hang on for or draw..." or something similar. Miserable fucker.
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Perhaps it's his weekly dose of irony.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

His predictions are utter shite.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:( Pants performance. Rasiak is a donkey - why did we buy him.........someone explain! Gardner is just not good enough. We need to recall Huddlestone if King is going to be out for a while longer.

My neighbour , parents and brother are all Leicester fans. Life is going to be miserable for weeks.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Spurs' 40th present to you! Unbelievable that they threw away that lead. Less surprising with Luton. Good on Burton, it's great to see a team like that getting a result and coming to Old Trafford. Ridiculous that Roon and Ron couldn't finish 'em off, but that's the FA Cup for ya. Maybe Ferg should play a proper team next time.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

My neighbour , parents and brother are all Leicester fans.
So am I now!!!!!

Manures deficiencies were almost as funny.

Arse got Bolton away next so that'll be the end of our run!
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

I like your new-found realism. Maybe once the ink is dry on Henry' contract he will return to consistent, blistering form.

Theo Walcott, anyone? What speed!
verbal gymnastics

My mate who's a Southampton fan told me about him a while back. He said this is a boy with tremendous potential.

I hope he doesn't end up going to Chelsea (there's a song in there somewhere!) and end up like Shaun Wright-Phillips. What a waste.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:My mate who's a Southampton fan told me about him a while back. He said this is a boy with tremendous potential.

I hope he doesn't end up going to Chelsea (there's a song in there somewhere!) and end up like Shaun Wright-Phillips. What a waste.
If SWP could stop giving the ball away, he might get some more time on the pitch. I was very excited about him coming to Chelsea, but he's been a massive disappointment so far.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

If SWP could stop giving the ball away, he might get some more time on the pitch. I was very excited about him coming to Chelsea, but he's been a massive disappointment so far.
It makes it very difficult when he hasn't been given a proper run in the team. When he does a chance it just puts the pressure on him to do something, to try and stay in the team. Still JCole seems to have come through the same treatment, maybe SWP just isn't up to it? Maybe Chelsk done Arse a favour by buying him (I'm sure they only bought him to stop Arsenal getting him).

Walcott looks good, has that super acceleration like Henry, hope he come to the Emirates stadium.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:
It makes it very difficult when he hasn't been given a proper run in the team. When he does a chance it just puts the pressure on him to do something, to try and stay in the team. Still JCole seems to have come through the same treatment, maybe SWP just isn't up to it? Maybe Chelsk done Arse a favour by buying him (I'm sure they only bought him to stop Arsenal getting him).
I think creative players like Cole and SWP find it hard to adjust to Mourinho's system, which places so much importance on tracking back to defend. But if Cole could do it, I don't see any reason why SWP wouldn't be able to.

I heard something about Arsenal being interested in a player who is taller than Crouch! :shock:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

6'8" - Lets just hope he's not as crap.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 598426.stm
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:6'8" - Lets just hope he's not as crap.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 598426.stm
Let's hope he's worse!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

so lacklustre wrote:
Walcott looks good, has that super acceleration like Henry, hope he come to the Emirates stadium.
Theo Walcott thinks: "Hmmm, I could go to a club dominated by ageing cliquey foreign players, with an abysmal record for bringing on young English talent and where I'm likely to play all my matches in the Carling Cup or warm the bench, and with a manager who clearly has disdain for the English game and it's players (ARSE)..........or I could go to a club with a forward thinking manager who focuses on young (predominately) English players, where I'll be given a chance to demonstrate my undoubted ability and communicate with everyone.....(THFC)"

Lets hope he's a smart boy.

Then again he might just bugger off to Chelsea for the cash.
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

[quote="Jackson MonkTheo Walcott thinks: "Hmmm, I could go to a club dominated by ageing cliquey foreign players, with an abysmal record for bringing on young English talent and where I'm likely to play all my matches in the Carling Cup or warm the bench, and with a manager who clearly has disdain for the English game and it's players (ARSE)..........or I could go to a club with a forward thinking manager who focuses on young (predominately) English players, where I'll be given a chance to demonstrate my undoubted ability and communicate with everyone.....(THFC)"[/quote]

Jackson - I think the rest of that last sentence was omitted. In full it read "or I could go to a club with a forward thinking manager who focuses on young (predominately) English players, where I'll be given a chance to demonstrate my undoubted ability and communicate with everyone.....(THFC) but where I won't get any FA Cup action this season"
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just like Sean Davis and Michael Brown eh?
Otis Westinghouse

He'd look nice in red, and some white too!

SWP made a sad mistake going to Chelsea. He could flourish elsewhere. Should have stayed at Man City!