05. Accidents Will Happen
06. Flutter & Wow
07. Sulky Girl
08. Monkey To Man
09. Alison
10. Everyday I Write The Book
11. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
12. Pump It Up
13. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

Watching The Detectives: https://www.periscope.tv/w/aIaxujIyODE1 ... mHGY_juyDU
Chelsea: https://twitter.com/kls531/status/625866659119661056
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Clarkston, MI, 27 July 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Twitter -

Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

God, these ampitheaters are such depressing looking venues! I'd really like to see this tour, but I'm in NY and can't stomach the PNC Arts Center. It doesn't help that Steely Dan are extortionists when it comes to their ticket prices. I'd feel like a sucker buying a ticket.

Here's hoping EC/Imposters make their way to a proper theater near me.

Also: Does anybody know if they're ever going to record another album (Momofuku was in 2007, for fuck's sake), or are these memory-lane live shows all we have to look forward to?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Arbogast wrote:Also: Does anybody know if they're ever going to record another album (Momofuku was in 2007, for fuck's sake), or are these memory-lane live shows all we have to look forward to?
I think Elvis - like most artists - only makes money from touring.

It's an oddity - bands don't make much money from music sales so they go on tour. They then whack the prices up for the ticket because the shows have to become more elaborate.

I do think Elvis is missing a trick by not releasing live shows on his website though, or even straight after the show. It's easy to do and would provide a good source of income.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I, too, want another FOOKING record by God.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

I realize that album sales are not a credible profit center for artists anymore. Still...presumably, EC is still writing songs. Wouldn't you think that, as an artist, he'd see the inherent value in recording them just to have a definitive version to be part of his body of work? You know, as a kind of codification, for lack of a better word?

Then again, and now that I think of it: if he is still writing new songs, why aren't we see them show up in the live sets?

It's just a bummer, that's all. I'll always go see him when he comes to town, as I have for nearly 40 years now, but even I am beginning to find something vaguely.....stale about there being nothing forward-looking about the live shows.

And, hey: Dylan's 75 goddamn years old and he still records albums!
erey

Post by erey »

EC has been doing a song or two form he musical(s) he's working on with Burt Bacharach, just not at these Steely Dan summer shed shows.

I'm pretty sure I did some unreleased songs from the New Basement Tapes project at the solo shows I saw this Spring. (I didn't follow that project closely, so I'm not 100% they were unreleased.)

So, he's doing new stuff, and it does turned up in his live act. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a new album to play on your hi-fi, though, Gramps. :)
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

I know he's done a handful of tunes in the solo shows, I went to a bunch of them. And I know he's been working on the Bachrach project for a while. Still, eight years since he's released "a collection of songs," with his primary band?? Whether it's something uploaded to iTunes and/or released as a CD makes no difference. Technology changes, but that's still how recording artists disseminate their music. That's why they're called recording artists.
erey

Post by erey »

It seems kind of silly to disqualify the three albums (plus) he's done since Momofuku just because the weren't recorded with the Imposters, as a band. He's only ever done three albums with them, in that sense. One more than he did with the Sugarcanes.

Anyway, it's entirely possible that EC isn't a "recording artist" anymore. He certainly isn't under any business or contractual obligation to be one.
verbal gymnastics

Elvis' dad passing away hit him hard and he said he wasn't writing.

However he will have recorded and amassed loads of stuff but chosen not to release it. I do wonder if any of these will see the light of day.

I would have agreed that some of the live shows were stale had you said this last year. However his recent UK tour proves otherwise. He brought loads of his own songs back to life and played songs even he has never done before.

One thing about him playing live is that the more he plays, the quicker he gets bored and setlists change nightly and widely.

I'd love to see him play his own new songs with the Imposters but I'm not banking on it.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Fair enough, and I love the Sugarcanes' records, but I think it's fair to say that the Imposters are his main band....in which case it's odd (and, yeah, a bummer) that he seems to have stopped recording new material with them. That's all I'm saying.
verbal gymnastics

I agree. The last 2 albums have been "projects", the ones before those were the Sugarcanes (a project of sorts) and there's the Burt Bacharach project in the pipeline.

I'd also love to see a full on Imposters album - and I bet they would as well!
erey

Post by erey »

After "National Ransom", EC said he wouldn't make another album "at least for another 5 or 10 years", to much derision around here, but he has largely stuck to that.

"Wise Up Ghost" was, to hear Questlove and Steve Mandel tell it, the result of an elaborate seduction of EC, which they had literally been plotting for years. And it got done over a long stretch of spare evenings. The Basement Tapes things was at the behest of EC's best friend, T-Bone, and took all of two or three weeks of his time.

So, basically, I wouldn't count on EC making another album unless someone makes him an(other) offer her can't refuse. Fortunately, this seems to happen semi-regularly.

I wouldn't necessarily assume the Imposers are pining to make another album with EC, either. It's not like any of them sit home by the phone waiting for him to call.
verbal gymnastics

erey wrote:I wouldn't necessarily assume the Imposers are pining to make another album with EC, either. It's not like any of them sit home by the phone waiting for him to call.
Hmm - I wouldn't necessarily agree with that!
erey

Post by erey »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
erey wrote:I wouldn't necessarily assume the Imposers are pining to make another album with EC, either. It's not like any of them sit home by the phone waiting for him to call.
Hmm - I wouldn't necessarily agree with that!
Well, two of them learned the folly of that model the hard way about 30 years ago, and seem to be conducting themselves accordingly this time around.