Post Your Picture

Post pictures of yourself, your family, or just things you found interesting.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

mood swung wrote:you are quite the athlete, mr. foyle: proud member of the U2Bowling Alliance, Property of Virgina Football, intrepid mountain climber...

crash, your party looks like fun and gives me some ideas for my daughter's sweet sixteen.

crow, you look so handsome, even with the redeye. aren't crows supposed to have red eyes? and say caw-caw? I always get that mixed up.
my dauthers birthday is the day before Halloween. We started throwing parties on Halloween for her birthday 7 years ago. We always had them at home and really decked the place out with the halloween theme. The first year, about 15 kids showed up. The news spread around about how much fun they had and every year it has gotten bigger. One year 45 kids came and 17 spent the night. This year we rented out a building for the first time and had the big disco bash which was the first time we had not used the halloween theme. Just needed a change I guess but it was great. My friend who is a DJ came and did the whole thing. He wouldn't let us pay him a cent either which was nice but I still feel guilty. You can't tell from those pictures but we had all kinds of really cheesey lights from the 70's including a huge revolving disco ball that really looked cool. In the summer we have done a luau a few times and had about 30 of her friends show up.

Believe it or not my wife and I love this. As parents we also have been able to get to know most of her friends and they now all feel very comfortable around us. I think it has really helped us to stay close to our daughter and hopefully she will have really good memories of all this as she grows through life. I know I will.

Anyway, I hope your daughters sweet 16 is awesome. I am trying to think of a way to top all this other stuff for my daughter's 16th too. may be touch. maybe Vegas... .....well maybe not.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

You are a very wise dad, crash. Your daughter is very lucky.

Otis, no that's not Pawli, but you inspired me, so with Austinator's help and a handful of treats....

Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

It's so funny - when Jess turned 16 back in May, she threatened Doc and I with our lives if we gave her one of those little princess-type sweet sixteen birthday parties. She stayed at home with us, asked me to fix her a meal that mostly centered around mashed potatoes (her favorite thing to eat, well, besides candy) and had me special order from Ebay a bunch of Nightmare Before Christmas party favors that she shared with her brothers and cousin. It was really a very humble little celebration, no big deal at all. But that's what she asked for. And she went to bed happy that evening, without the hoopla.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

thats wonderful spooky. For a moment i thought my daughter and yours were seperated at birth. Clues were the mashed potatos, candy and the nightmare before christmas. That sounded all to familiar. Then came the humble part and I knew we were in the clear.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Humility only comes in spurts, lest you think I have some sort of completely selfless teenager. :wink:
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

ah, i thought you were living a charmed parenthood there spooky.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Me at the new statue on Trafalgar Square's fourth plinth, London

Read more -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4247000.stm
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Great picture. Let me guess... about 70mm focal length? probably shot at 1/60th sec from a still camera, mid afternoon, no higher than Germany? I like the bluish winter shadows (surely can't be England) and inclusion of the Corinthian orders (though I prefer Doric, usually) in the powerful composition topped off by sensual statue and dignified Foyle stance in the warm sunlight... could even be brought out further with a polarizer if you wanted to... I would have used a bit of flash infill or a reflector but overall a fine, well-shot picture and you look like some character from Tintin.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great picture. Let me guess... about 70mm focal length? probably shot at 1/60th sec from a still camera, mid afternoon, no higher than Germany?etc.
Uh, well , it was a £5 disposable , no-flash camera , 'photo taken by a passerby I stopped , at about 11.30 in the morning , me in a hurry to get a taxi to Fleet St. to meet someone for lunch.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

:lol:

Cait O'Riordan or someone like that no doubt...
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That's Fleet St in Frankfurt, obviously.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
alexv

Post by alexv »

What is the procedure for posting pictures?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Just click on the photo you want to post from the web...has to be on another site....open the properties, copy the URL...past it into the message body here, then select it and click Img.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Sorry to be dense about this, guys, but I have plain digital camera pictures stored in my computer. Those can't be transferred onto here? How does one get the pictures into the web in order to transfer here?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

The pic has to be hosted on the net somewhere already. If you want, email the pic(s) to me and I will post them here for you.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.photobucket.com/

are great for hosting pictures and its free.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

this is what it looks like outside here this evening
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Cousins, can you tell?!? The big one is Duncan, Jack's Cousin from Chicago. We were all visiting my Sis in Philadelphia.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Ha! As the picture was slowly loading, I said to myself, "Jack had BETTER be wearing a Ramones t-shirt!" Thank you for that.
Otis Westinghouse

Enjoying vino alla mandorla (almond wine) with a colleague from Paris (unfortunately wearing real fur, yuk!) surrounded by many others from a whole range of countries, in Taormina, Sicily this week. I recommend this wine, although the one I brought back is much darker and sweeter. This one was more wine-flavoured. The bar said they'd normally sell a bottle's worth most evenings, but got through 5 after we'd spent an hour or so there.

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's icy and snowy outside, so the kids decided to set up camp in Madeleine's closet today while I was working on my timballo in the kitchen. Here they are - caught red-handed. I'm always worried when it gets a little quiet upstairs, but nothing is broken (yet)...

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Looks like fun. 'Timballo'?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Looks like fun. 'Timballo'?
It's a fairly generic term for an Italian moulded pasta dish. If you've seen "Big Night" you'll know what I'm talking about. It's usually done with a pastry crust, but mine was really not a pasta at all, but rather a risotto with panko crumbs on the outside, cooked in a springform pan. Filled with proscuitto and peas in a sort of bechamel-style sauce inside. Very tasty - would definitely try this again.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick