New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Going to see Michael Penn tomorrow night at a small venue. Don't know much aside from his newest (Mr. Hollywood Jr., 1947), which is great, but still looking forward to it. Bummed out that I missed his wife Aimee Mann back in July, though.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Will be seeing Ray LaMontagne and Brandi Carlile, two great new singer-songwriters, at Town Hall in December.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Going to see Michael Penn tomorrow night at a small venue. Don't know much aside from his newest (Mr. Hollywood Jr., 1947), which is great, but still looking forward to it. Bummed out that I missed his wife Aimee Mann back in July, though.
How was the gig, Blue?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Couldn't make it, unfortunately. We were really behind on this month's issue of BT and it was a crucial night to be working on stuff. I didn't feel totally invested in the show cause we were on the guestlist and I hadn't forked over the cash for tickets. Still, would have been nice to be able to go.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Ray Davies - Newcastle, Tyne Theatre

Excellent. He was in good mood, with a fine band (tho the riffs weren't as dirty as brother Dave's originals). Songs old & new, with plenty of sing a long opportunities.

One touching moment came at the end of Days, when a large 50ish chap made his way to the front and shook Ray's hand.

Closed with the double wammy of Waterloo Sunset & You Really Got Me.

Along the way, he told a couple of interesting stories, eg how YRGM was intended to be a slow blues, but Dave had other ideas and played himself into Rock n Roll history.

They went off stage to the sound of Fats Domino's Walkin to New Orleans.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Shawn Mullins - Some of you are familar with him being with 'The Thorns' but he is actually better solo. It was a small club here in Pgh, maybe 150 patrons. Just him alone up on the stage with his acoustic guitars. It was a fantastic show. He did a cover of 'Copperhead Road' (never heard it before and it was so good I will have to buy a Steve Earle release) and a cover of Bobby Gentry's 'Ode to Billie Joe'. It is funny how a song you haven't heard for thirty-some odd years can come back into your mind so quickly. Everyone was singing the chorus.

He went outside the small venue and took a cigarette break in between his two sets.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

so, like, I read the paper yesterday and guess who's opening for The Kings of Leon? The Like!

Something told me to buy those tickets....

I've got both KofL cds now and I like them both, the first one better I think. All squirrelly and inbred. I know and love that sound. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Me and Mrs Doofmonkster are off to see Roddy Frame's acoustic show at Milton Keynes on Tuesday. 8)

Looking forward to this, not just because of the quality of his songs, but because he's a really great guitarist whose voice keeps getting better. Possibly a criminal underachiever in the past, his last two albums are as good as anything he's done since the seminal 'High Land, Hard Rain'. :D
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Eagerly awaiting your report, Doofster. I loved Aztec Camera, but - shame on me! - I haven't yet put my hands on Roddy Frame's solo efforts.
(You could argue, though, that Aztec Camera were in fact Roddy Frame and a changing line-up of session players).
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

IP - No problem mate....report on Weds.
You really should buy 'Surf' which is a sublime album.
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:IP - No problem mate....report on Weds.
You really should by 'Surf' which is a sublime album.
I love that album Jackson. Would be great to see him perform live. Let us know how it goes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Finally picked up tickets for two shows I am eagerly anticipating for November: Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings (if you haven't heard their brand of vintage, horn-drenched R&B then you are definitely missing out) and John Cale (he's doing THREE shows in Toronto in November, which seems kind of unusual considering the fact that he seems to be the sort of guy who usually does a total of two shows a year in places like Dusseldorf and Oslo).

Got Paul McCartney tomorrow night in a venue that's about 20x the size of where I'll be seeing my two November shows.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good ol' John Cale.

For anyone who digs Roddy F and Edwyn C, don't miss the recording of the two of them at the RFH from c. 5 years ago available from Storm's X-drive 9or at least it was, ain't been there of late). Very good and very fun. Worth hearing just for the banter. Lovely to hear him singing Mattress of Wire etc. Must get Surf. I saw Aztec C in about 1983 and again in 1987. Great.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:For anyone who digs Roddy F and Edwyn C, don't miss the recording of the two of them at the RFH from c. 5 years ago available from Storm's X-drive 9or at least it was, ain't been there of late). Very good and very fun. Worth hearing just for the banter. Lovely to hear him singing Mattress of Wire etc. Must get Surf. I saw Aztec C in about 1983 and again in 1987. Great.
Speaking of Scottish music, do you have that James Kirk album from 2003, You Can Make It If You Boogie? I know you're a big Orange Juice fan. A couple of the people over on the Richard Hawley forum were raving about it. Campbell Owens from Aztec Camera plays bass on the album.

Hawley's a big Orange Juice fan too.
Otis Westinghouse

No, but I must get it! didn't know it existed, to be honest. I loved James Kirk, witness my glorious signature and location, culled from Three Cheers For Our Side. Well I remember the name Campbell Owens from my teen days of avidly collecting Postcard singles. Campbell is my mother's maiden name, so it resonated. I also was at school with a boy whose first name was Campbell. Richard Hawley has just gone up in my estimation. Will have to get that LP too!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:No, but I must get it! didn't know it existed, to be honest. I loved James Kirk, witness my glorious signature and location, culled from Three Cheers For Our Side. Well I remember the name Campbell Owens from my teen days of avidly collecting Postcard singles. Campbell is my mother's maiden name, so it resonated. I also was at school with a boy whose first name was Campbell. Richard Hawley has just gone up in my estimation. Will have to get that LP too!
Well, I've been playing the Hawley disc, Coles Corner, over and over again and cannot recommend it highly enough. May try to see if I can get a used copy of that Kirk disc on eBay or trawl the shops in New York next time I'm down there.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

James McMurtry is coming to Pittsburgh next week. I'm not aware of his work. Would this be a worthwhile show?

Thanks.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

I see Lloyd Cole is playing some solo dates in England next month. Might get to see him again in London or maybe Leicester.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Just got tickets for Franz Ferdinand at Madison Square Garden on Monday...
Where's North from 'ere?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I've got tickets to see Franz F at the NEC Birmingham in November, let me know what the show is like. I saw them last year when they basically thrashed through the first album in about an hour, good stuff it was though. On their upcoming tour over here they are supported by the Rakes and the Editors; anybody know the Editors?

Off to see the Eels at the Royal Albert Hall tonight with Mr & Mrs Bwap.
signed with love and vicious kisses
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

stormwarning wrote:Just got tickets for Franz Ferdinand at Madison Square Garden on Monday...
Jesus, Madison Square Garden?? I decided not to see them at the Orpheum here cause it's a sit-down venue, and the ohter two times I've seen 'em have been at smallish clubs. Guess those days are gone for these fellers!!

Now that I'm into YCHHISMB(!) I'm regretting the decision not to go to the Orpheum. *sniff*
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The NEC? Madison Square Garden?

I'm pleased I'm going to the relatively smaller Brighton Centre.

I'm thinking about whether or not to go and see Glenn Tilbrook and the Fluffers at the 100 club the night after Franz Ferdinand.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Don't think about it...do it!!

I'm seeing Glenn at M.keynes in December. Awesome live.
corruptio optimi pessima
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Glenn puts on a great live show.
Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre wrote:anybody know the Editors?
No, but every reference I've seen to them mentions Joy Division, so be warned. Reviews seem to be good, and maybe they do something with the influence, but Interpol is one JD tribute band too many for my taste to have around.