Vanilla Ice Torrent

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
martinfoyle

Vanilla Ice Torrent

Post by martinfoyle »

The guys over at dimeadozen truly provide an eclectic range of non-copyright recordings, the highlight today for me being a Brian Blade Geman fm brodcast. Still, this is dwarfed by an awesome piece of 90s culture, namely a Saturday Night Live appearance by the hugely underated Vanilla Ice. Here's the evocative essay that's in the torrents info file
Vanilla Ice
SNL
1991/01/12

Ice Ice Baby
05:33

Enjoy!

-----------------------------
online review:
"Vanilla Ice Raids SNL: The Greatest Live Performance You'll Ever See

Going over this particular live performance is an incredibly long and complicated process that should not be taken lightly. When something as intricate and elaborate as Vanilla Ice's Saturday Night Live performance is on your screen, nothing else really deserves your attention. Vanilla Ice has dance moves that have their own dance moves. He's that fucking good. Remember...Vanilla Ice is Jesus. By the end of this article, he'll probably be turning water into wine and walking on water.

This article is about Vanilla Ice, The Performer, and since there's really no other way I can describe this performance, I'll just say this: Vanilla Ice, the Performer, was in fine form on this particular Saturday night in New York City.

For those of you who have never had the opportunity to see a Vanilla Ice live show, I hope you're ready to be absolutely blown away.

I wonder what the hell Joe Mantegna, best known for his performance as Ian- the aging radio host in the compelling drama known as Airheads, was thinking when he introduced Ice. Whether he was just acting or he was actually a fan, he did a pretty good job of looking excited to be introducing him.

Before the performance even begins, we can clearly see what makes Ice such an icon. He attires himself in clothes so flashy you'd be hard pressed to even find a MC Hammer outfit that could compete with it. And as we all know, only people on top of the world can get away with wearing outfits like that. Ice is truly a superstar, and this performance is his chance to use his power to make a statement. Remember when Prince performed live and wrote "Slave" on his face to show all the viewers how his record company was forcing him to release albums when they were unfinished or when he didn't want to? Well, Ice's statement is that much more profound, and instead of putting it on his face, it's emblazoned across the back of his coat. So what's this all important message?

"Word to your mother."

Were you expecting something else? Something more controversial perhaps? Remember, we're talking about Vanilla Ice here. Anyways, back to the performance itself...

I sure hope the guy who choreographed this performance did it for free or maybe even paid Ice to let him choreograph the routine, because watching Ice and his dancers tear up the stage has to be one of the worst displays of a dancing I've ever seen. Let's face it, I just watched a New Kids on the Block home video, complete with live NKOTB performances, and their choreography had movements that at least resembled something that could be considered dancing. Hell, my sister and her friends had better moves than this in their sixth grade school talent show. I guess it only goes to prove that Vanilla Ice is truly a superstar that none of us could keep our eyes off of.

You know, when you're watching a live performance on stage or a music video on MTV (like a NSync video for example), there are a few things you've got to realize while watching. First off, if they weren't dancing in perfect synch with a bunch of other people, they'd look like complete idiots. Second, none of these moves are really applicable when going to a bar or club. Getting a group of you and your friends to do the "Bye, Bye, Bye" dance routine in the middle of the bar's dance floor probably won't get you any free drinks. Chances are it'll get you a swift ass-whoopin' instead.

At this point in the show, Ice and his boys have really got the crowd into it, but somehow I doubt any of the people in the audience were prepared for what was to come next...

...an EXTENDED DANCE BREAK!

This is easily my favorite part of the performance. Apparently, Ice and his boys didn't feel they had gotten enough of a workout earlier in the day, so we get to watch them do some incredibly sexy pelvic thrusts followed by a few synchronized pushups. Ice and his boys seem to be quite enamored with the SNL stage, don't they?

Well, apparently humping the floor was considered a rather nifty dance movie back at the height of Ice's popularity. At least that's really the only explanation I could think of for them to be doing this. I tried this move at one of the campus bars but kinda gave up on it after I was repeatedly kicked in the ribs and head by other people on he dance floor. When I told my attackers that I was just trying to be "cool as Ice", they just kicked me more. Let's take a step back for a moment and try to realize how we've gotten to this point and just why Vanilla Ice is such a hero to me. First Vanilla Ice stole the beat for his only hit song from Queen and David Bowie. Then he rapped over it and didn't even think it was good enough to be used as his first single. Then some DJ found it on the other side of the album, while Ice's original single was busy bombing everywhere it was played. When one of the DJ's accidentally played "Ice, Ice Baby" on the radio, people seemed to like this new song and wanted to hear it more. Ice's albums started flying off the shelves, and then he started appearing on television and touring. And then he made his way to the Saturday Night Live stage to bring you this once-in-a-lifetime performance. So what's my point? Well it just goes to show that this is one fucked up world we're living in."
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

feckin' brilliant
Where's North from 'ere?
libster

Post by libster »

God, I remember that performance. (**dry heaves**)