New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:So. Saw Doves at Avalon last night. They played all the tunes you've heard on the radio and some besides-- they played nearly all of SOME CITIES, which is just an unmissable record, IMO. I very much wanted to hear Walk In Fire, which is a current fave, but no dice, though I can't complain, as it was a fantastic show. These guys are seriously accomplished at what they do, and the sound mix and the whole vibe really reflected that. As Otis knows and loves, this is a band that often lets the drums be the most up-front sound, and live, this meant that not only did you get that fabulous pounding (no coincidence) IN your chest, you could also feel it, if you were just a few rows back as I was, actually pressing your clothes onto your body. I suppose it's not so great for the hearing, but what an experience. The drums were never too much, though, and the whole club seemed to seep atmosphere out its fire exits and vents.

I got a sweet t-shirt and an even nicer free poster, which helped make up for the fact that I went alone, of which feeling I am tiring VERY fast, to put it bravely.
Did they do "Snowden"? That's my fave from the new album, which I agree is very very good. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to see any of their New York shows. They've been through several times, but it always seems to fall on a bad day.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: Did they do "Snowden"? That's my fave from the new album, which I agree is very very good.
Beautiful song. Yes, they did.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Damn I must see them some time. Haven't got round to watching the 30-minute live special I taped the other night. Shame about the fabulous Walk In Fire. They're a great band for getting songs deep into your head, songs with real personality and definition. I love Almost Forgot Myself.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

johnfoyle wrote:Just seen The Magic Numbers here in Dublin. Pleasant , sing-a-long pop by a cheery bunch
But there's more to them than that, no? I only know the singles, and must get the LP soon, but the singles are crackers. I love the way they have great verses and choruses to match, and then veer off into an unexpected final section, not a middle 8, but a new development that takes the song to a different place ('Looks like it all went wrong/What am I to do?') Love Me Like You strikes me as a classic. Yes, a real feelgood band, and one I'd also love to see live, but with real depth of quality.
Otis Westinghouse

selfmademug wrote:Ben Folds - Okay I get it now. Ben Folds = contemporary version of 1972 Elton John, and I mean that in the best way possible. He even LOOKS like Elton in that era, same haircut, and exact same stance and style at the piano. I would be shocked if he didn't know every note of Tumbleweed Connection inside and out.
Talking of great songs, there's a ben Folds one on a recent Word compilation which I've been playing loads. Jesusland. The piano is fantastic, and the melody and singing angelic. Nice lyrics too. Don't know much of his stuff, but respect to BF for this one.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Of course he played that when I saw him last month, and it was lovely, but it's fantastic as a recording, no? Perfect clarity in voice and piano. All his songs (not that I know too many, yet) make me think of Elton John; there's one from '77 or so called 'Ticking' that 'Jesusland' puts me in mind of, musically...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Holy shit! Rufus Wainwright is playing up in my neck of the woods, on a Saturday - and only $44 a ticket. I am there! Great old concert hall, a stone's throw from our old apartment.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00003 ... tm_home_h8

It's rare that we get any good shows up here - a Bowie warm-up at The Chance (a little hole in the wall) a few years back, EC's Mingus Big Band gig at Bard College, and the occasional interesting show (Dave Alvin, Graham Parker, Steve Forbert) at the little folk club a mile from here.

Rufus was a student at Millbrook School, which a short drive from where I currently live. Betcha he plays "Millbrook" at this gig.
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, you were at the Bowie warm-up? I have a feeling this was aired ages ago (Christ, I've been on this/the other EC boards for 3 years!!!), but had forgotten. Paul Du Noyer did a very nice piece in Word about seeing him rehearsing for and then playing the gig. (Which is where I read he was rehearsing Win, though sadly it never materialised on the tour.)

Cool that you're going to see the Roof. Seen him before? Well worth a night out.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Wow, you were at the Bowie warm-up? I have a feeling this was aired ages ago (Christ, I've been on this/the other EC boards for 3 years!!!), but had forgotten. Paul Du Noyer did a very nice piece in Word about seeing him rehearsing for and then playing the gig. (Which is where I read he was rehearsing Win, though sadly it never materialised on the tour.)

Cool that you're going to see the Roof. Seen him before? Well worth a night out.
No, never seen him before, but am really looking forward to it. My friend Tony, who I mentioned before, may try to get us backstage to meet Roof if he is able attend the show. We'll see.

I missed the Bowie show, unfortunately. I was kicking myself when I found out about it. I did see him a year or two earlier at a little auditorium at Queens College, which was an incredible show.
Otis Westinghouse

From what I've read on the message board, RW is really friendly with fans, as you'd expect from such a gregarious sort.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Rufus tix went on sale this morning, and I snapped them up. $44 a bargain when you consider the hassle of getting down to the Beacon, paying for parking, extra money for the babysitter, etc. I love these local shows. Too bad the good ones are so few and far between.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I dragged So Lacklustre and Wife With a Problem over to Farnham to see Stiff Little Fingers this past Thursday. Despite the weird venue and awful bar (they were running out of everything - we were reduced to drinking warm Fosters out of plastic bottles) - we had a good time. About 1/3 of the 400 or so people there were big fans, or at least were people that owned Stiff Little Fingers t-shirts. One t-shirt read, "Stiff Little Fingers - 25th Anniversary, 2002" - the math wiz within quickly calculated that they started 28 years ago - with a further ciphering I computed that it had been 25 years since I first saw this band. I guess I've established that this is an old punk rock band. In fact, Jake Burns - the leader and lone original member, looked very much like an older Still the Beaver era Jerry Mathers. I forgot to mention that Bruce Foxton, ex of the Jam, is the bass player (I first saw Bruce play 25 years ago as well) - Bruce hasn't gained a pound and no doubt can still fit into his All Mod Cons trousers....looking a bit like Gary Shandling in the face though. Anyway - lots of the old stuff - lead off with Tin Soldiers and proceeded through lots of stuff from the first three albums - Wasted Life, Roots, Rock Radicals, Fly the Flag, At The Edge, Barbed Wire Love, Johnny Was, Alternative Ulster, Suspect Device. They played a few newer ones that fit right in, including a tribute to Joe Strummer called Strummerville that ended with a quick burst of Clash City Rockers. (kind of an interesting note that it was the Jam that Strummer sang about on the great Clash track White Man in Hammersmith Palais with the line - "Burton Suits/Ha/ They Think They're Funny/Turning Rebellion into Money"). The sound was really shitty towards the back as the ceiling was just too huge for this type of music, the sound near the stage was much better and the moshing up front was tame enough for this old bastard to join in - so I got a little much needed exercise. I forgot to mention that all four members of the band were wearing SLF logo apparel - a long sleeve button down, a short sleeve button down, a golf shirt and a tank top - most of which were available in the lobby for purchase along with t-shirts and fleeces. It was a weird time - I had fun, but there was a sad quality about the whole thing - but it could me much much worse - these guys are still having fun - and hell - we were handed a flyer for an upcoming Wishbone Ash on the way out.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Gotta Getaway?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Funny you should mention Bruce Foxton, I went to see Paul Weller in NYC tonight. It was a great set, and Mr. Weller is as cool a performer as we're ever likely to see. And yes he did do some Jam Songs...
Where's North from 'ere?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

In the Crowd, The Riverbank, That's Entertainment and Town Called Malice?

I'd be interested to hear of any other that he did.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Am really wishing I'd rushed to get a Weller ticket for the Corn Exchange. It sold out quickly. Night before I see Dylan. That would have made for some weekend! HMV are flogging off an LP of Weller's for all of 1.99 [is it just me, or do pound signs no longer appear here? They always used to]. Red cover, Weller's face with the title across, one word, Illumination or something. I wasn't moved to buy it even so - I just can't get excited about solo Weller, though I do love the song Brand New Start. Bought Harvest for 2.99, though, as I lonely had it on tape. Even though I have a lot of it on Decade and a Best Of, it's such a great LP to have in its entirety.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Otis -

I've got Illumination; I think I played it twice. Still, I'd go and see him live.

No Gotta Gettaway (one of my favorites) - they did do Nobody's Hero early on though. Those first two albums are great.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Jeepers... he's playing Avalon tonight! Tempting, but I'm already attending 2 events tomorrow by myself and a third in 24 hours might push me over the edge...
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Go for it! The man's amazing and you'll kick yourself if you miss it. Honestly, he's everything on stage that Elvis isn't...
Where's North from 'ere?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Lordy now I really am torn... but I'll give it the old college try. 8) Don't expect any insightful reviews from this Jam novice, however!

PS, okay have now bought a ticket. Surely no female on earth has gone to as many great shows alone as I have.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, Paul was quite fab, and though I have to say I was not a fan of the more bluesy stuff, I enjoyed the show and am glad I went. Sadly, I felt pretty crummy and so it was hard to really be fully present, but the crowd loved him and seemed to know all the songs (I didn't!). The stuff off his forthcoming record (October, he says) sounded promising.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

SLL- Paul Weller's also doing Shout to the Top these days.

Muggy/Storm - good to see you saw him. I saw him in March but I have to say the new songs he did didn't do anything for me. they may have been works in progress. The funny thing was this was tour to promote Studio 150 and he only did one or two songs from it.

BWAP - Didn't SLF split up because their fans only wanted to hear old stuff and wouldn't accept the new songs? :roll: They can't live without each other can they?

Otis - what night are you going to see His Bobness - I'll try and get a ticket if I can. I'm having a resurgence with Bob Dylan at the moment - no doubt thanks to my 5 and 2 year old nephews' birthday present to me of the No Direction CD. Such great taste for ones so young!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

selfmademug wrote:The stuff off his forthcoming record (October, he says) sounded promising.
A good chum of mine is a PW buff and reckons the new album is a serious return to form.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

verbal gymnastics wrote:SLL- Paul Weller's also doing Shout to the Top these days.
Yeah, but SLL was writing about Jam songs! :wink:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Otis - what night are you going to see His Bobness - I'll try and get a ticket if I can. I'm having a resurgence with Bob Dylan at the moment - no doubt thanks to my 5 and 2 year old nephews' birthday present to me of the No Direction CD. Such great taste for ones so young!
Opening night, Sunday. It sold out within no time - I was lucky that my chum, unlike me, knew tickets were on sale, and got straight on there. I imagine all the nights are long since sold out, especially with Dylanmania gripping the nation, but it's always worth trying. Never been to the Brixton academy, what a way to start! Well done to your nephews.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:SLL- Paul Weller's also doing Shout to the Top these days.
Yeah, but SLL was writing about Jam songs! :wink:
I'll get me coat... :oops:

If a ticket comes up for a reasonable price I'll try and get one. Brixton Academy is a great venue too and I can drive there too.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?