Transcribing Radiohead

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Transcribing Radiohead

Post by selfmademug »

This morning I heard an interesting program, described below. He's also now working on stuff by Elliott Smith, whom he calls "the most important singer-songwriter of the past 50 years" (!!).

Two years ago the classical pianist and public radio host Christopher O'Riley released a record of songs by the arty rock band Radiohead. It wasn't a stunt; O'Riley reveres the music of Radiohead. He took the group's big arena rock melodies and edgy harmonic textures and transcribed them for solo piano -- the way music publishers used to transcribe symphonies for amateurs to play at home. He's back now with a second record of Radiohead transcriptions called Hold Me to This.

You can download the segment here, just scroll down a bit:

http://www.wnyc.org/studio360/show.html
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Transcribing Radiohead

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:This morning I heard an interesting program, described below. He's also now working on stuff by Elliott Smith, whom he calls "the most important singer-songwriter of the past 50 years" (!!).

Two years ago the classical pianist and public radio host Christopher O'Riley released a record of songs by the arty rock band Radiohead. It wasn't a stunt; O'Riley reveres the music of Radiohead. He took the group's big arena rock melodies and edgy harmonic textures and transcribed them for solo piano -- the way music publishers used to transcribe symphonies for amateurs to play at home. He's back now with a second record of Radiohead transcriptions called Hold Me to This.

You can download the segment here, just scroll down a bit:

http://www.wnyc.org/studio360/show.html
The jazz pianist Brad Mehldau is also a big Radiohead fan and has recorded several tunes from OK Computer ("Paranoid Android" and "Exit Music (For A Film)" I think). He may have done others in concert. He's one of my favorite young jazz players. Pick up any of his "Live At The Village Vanguard" discs and you won't be disappointed).
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

This is only peripherally related, but it sort of makes me think of this:

http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/hardnphirm-10.m3u

Its Radiohead done as bluegrass ... Rodeohead. Good stuff.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Rodeohead sounds good to me.....anything to preserve me from their usual claptrap.
What next?
Coldplay on solo glockenspiel
U2 on farfisa organ, end of the pier style
Kraftwerk on the spoons.
Sting with some new musical ideas.
(sorry I was just geting ridiculously left field on the last one)
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine