HOW he sings things

Pretty self-explanatory
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

Watch Your Step is GREAT. I really like the way he sings that song too. I would like to hear more of that laid back vocal style (not over singing). You don't hear that much from EC. In fact I am not sure if there is another one in that vocal style.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

My all time favorite is the way he sings. "They had known rogues and rascals and showbiz impresarios"
in 'American without tears'
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I really dig the way he sings....."filled up his purse dictating verse while painting MASTERPIECES!!!!!!!!!!!!" in My Science Fiction Twin.

Another one I love (but can't quite sing myself is the bridge on The Name of This Thing Is Not Love..."He's trying hard to FORGET her..." almost impossible to hit that with full volume!!!!!
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

sabreman wrote:Watch Your Step is GREAT. I am not sure if there is another one in that vocal style.
I would say Secondary Modern is the blueprint for Watch Your Step. Love the way he sings 'blue to blue' - from croon to falsetto. Evidence (like Dylan singing Moonshiner) that he is a great, great singer.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Wow, I'm impressed, lostdog. Secondary Modern is another one of his songs sung in that same vocal style.

:)
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Somewhere around here somebody was talking about Imagination (is a Powerful Deceiver)......which I LOVE. I've played that song itself just repeatedly.....I like the way he sings it. I don't know if there's any proper term for it. Is it sung in a lower register or something?
Don't know, but it's one of my favorites.
I'm not angry anymore....
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

That's one of my favourites too...I actually got a reply, back in the good old days of 'Ask Elvis' on the island board...I believe I asked why it was such a generally ignored part of his back catalogue,as I thought it was one of his best songs....He replied,' thanks for the compliment...I think that was a song I had to write on the way to writing Alison'....or something like that....I particularly like the ending of the other version on the FC demos, where he blows the guitar lead halfway through,and you can hear him gasp with disgust; He then sings the last two lines with the air of someone who knows he's already blown it, and that they're going to be doing another take anyway, so he really belts those lines out.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

'She's Pulling Out the Pins' has that vocal quality that I really like- the hard 'p' sound on 'pulling out the pins' is good, classic EC delivery. Virtually every line of All the Rage is great too.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I always get goosebumps when he sings as loud as he can on a final word live, like on the CD version of Taking My Life In Your HAAAAAAANDS.

And it works on me even if the song isn't really emotional - he just wants to go as far as he can (example God's ComIIIIIIIIIIeah San Fran '96, Aging Gracefully boot).
What this world needs is more silly men.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Sorry for digging up a two-year old thread, but I felt the need to add the way he sings 'cog' in Favourite Hour off of Brutal Youth.

*bows out to let this thread melt back into the backpages*
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Ooh, lots for me... off the top of my head:

"By blackening her name" - 'Sulky Girl'

"Iiii suppose you never said to her you were just in the way" - 'Blue Chair'

"Hoooooow I'd like to catch her when she's acting her age" - 'Human Touch'

"Two bits of kids with a bunch of sour grapessss" - 'Watch Your Step'

"You were happy when you were poor
And more honest and that's your…
Alibi, alibi
Sister is a whore, brother isn't sure
Alibi, alibi
You don't fit the body that you're trapped in
Alibi, alibi
Papa's got a brand new
Alibi, alibi" - 'Alibi' (just the way he seethes "Alibi, alibi")
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

Love this thread....thanks for digging it up.
There are probably hundreds of these for me.

"Even when you know it's over, it's too much to say" in "The Birds Will Still Be Singing" - you can almost feel his pain

"Try telling that to the desperate father who just squeezed the life from his only son" from "Tramp the Dirt Down" - makes me tear up every time I hear it

"held his head like a baby and said, it's OK if you cry" from "ATUB" still moves me.

"See, I'm only human, I want him to hurt..I want him..I want him to hurt" from "God Give Me Strength" - pretty amazing

"As you sometimes glimpse terrible faces in the fire" from "Couldn't call it unexpected" - Oh Man

Damn...I need to remember some of the more cheerful ones.

I could go on and on....but I won't for now :D
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

It is all these things that make you mine.

There I go, beginning to fall.

Don't waste your tears, it's not as if I'm in chains. When you go to SCHOOL son, read my story in history books though they won't mention my name.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

StrictTime, I never understood that line 'cog consults the watch he cups in his hand' - what d'you reckon he's on about?
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I have no clue. I just love the way the word 'cog' is made into 2 syllables almost, I don't know if the word for it is 'lilted' or what. A cog is a part of a watch, that I know. The part that spins, if I'm not mistaken.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I've never been totally sure if cog is even the correct lyric. There was a debate on the email list over whether it was pa or Cait at the time Brutal Youth was released. (The original CD did not include a lyric sheet.)

At this point I lean toward cog simply because it fits the watch reference, but it still doesn't sound quite right to me.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Listen to the live version on My Flame Burns Blue. It sounds distinctly like Cait, rather than cog.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

If anything, sounds like cot to me. But I was never good at this kind of thing.
And No Coffee Table

Cait is pronounced like cot, at least in Ms. O'Riordan's case.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

'Cot' is the way Elvis pronounces it since he's English. Around here Cáit is pronounced Coyyt, due to the stress mark over the 'a'. Whatever, I'm sure Rocky, who's actually Nigerian, is too pushed about it as long you dont call her baby.
manoutoftime

Post by manoutoftime »

How to be dumb 'and beautiful people stampede to the doorway of the funniest fuckkker in the world'

end of Party Girl 'ohhh give you anything but time'

Human Hands 'checkmate in three moves in your head'

the throathy 'oh yes we're killing time ..' in Let them all talk
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Cait is pronounced like cot, at least in Ms. O'Riordan's case.
You learn something new everyday. Around here it would probably be butchered to something sounding like cod anyway :roll:
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

migdd wrote:Listen to the live version on My Flame Burns Blue. It sounds distinctly like Cait, rather than cog.
It's cog in the sheet music for "Brutal Youth". Besides, as Cait is a 'she' - she wouldn't "consult the watch he cups in his hand" - unless there was a "crying game" aspect to their relationship. :shock:

As for how he sings things ... well there's so many things to choose from. Um... I'll say the entire performance of "Riot Act" - but in particular the "when the HEAT gets SUBTROPICAL" and "why do you talk such STUPID NONSENSE" bits. Particularly as he is talking to himself in the song!
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I like the line "She was selling speed boats in a trade show when he met her" in When I Was Cruel. I remember one reviewer saying EC sang it as though it was the most dispicable job in the world.

Also, I love his voice on Damnation's Cellar, "there are murders to solve."
And No Coffee Table

thepopeofpop wrote:It's cog in the sheet music for "Brutal Youth". Besides, as Cait is a 'she' - she wouldn't "consult the watch he cups in his hand" - unless there was a "crying game" aspect to their relationship. :shock:
The one consulting the watch doesn't necessarily have to be the one holding it.