recent concerts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

recent concerts

Post by ice nine »

Last night, I went to an intimate concert by Francis Dunnery. It was just him on his acoustic guitar accompanied by jazz fusion keyboardist David Sancious. They are both great musicians, alternately showing their chops. I highly reccommend seeing them if you can.

As the concert was nearing to a draw I was thinking that Francis is second only to Mr. Costello in songwriting. Wouldn't you know that 'Tokyo Storm Warming' was playing as the audience exited.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Wow! I had no idea that David Sancious was still active. A great keyboard player whose solo work was clearly fusion, but was adaptable enough to do sessions work for many other . A major talent thatI thought was long gone...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I was impressed with Mr. Sancious playing. He was mostly on the keyboards, but he did some guitar playing, too. I vow to purchase one of his recordings.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I have two older lp's called Transformation (!!!!) and Forest of Feelings (!!!).

Can't go wrong with either.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I saw the sublimely brilliant Morrissey on Monday night at the SECC, was really great...he came out dressed as a vicar (no tutu though)!
Did some Smiths songs (How Soon Is Now, Shoplifters, There Is A Light, Bigmouth) and a lot off You Are The Quarry.
Support was a crap band called Noko 440, and PJ Harvey who was OK.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Good fun at The Pogues gig last night. The band were good, Shane was looking and sounding pretty good too and Cait was hot. Anyone else been or going?
signed with love and vicious kisses
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Tell us some more, SLL !!
What was the setlist ? Did Cait sing "I'm A Man You Don't Meet Every Day" ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Cait came on and did I'm A Man You Don't Meet Every Day about halfway through and she stayed on and jigged about to 'A Pair of Brown Eyes'. She then came out in the encore and dueted with shane on Fairytale. Didn't keep a setlist but I'll give it a go although it won't be in order apart from track1 and in addition to the above.
Stream of Whiskey
Boys From The County Hell
The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn
The Old Main drag
Sally Mac
Dirty Old Town
Medley
If I should ffgwg
Turkish Song of the Damned
Bottle of Smoke
Thousands are Sailing
The Broad majestic Shannon
The Irish Rover
The Body of an American
White City
A Rainy Night In Soho
Tuesday Morning
Young Ned of The Hill
Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
Rain Street
Fiesta (last song of the encore)

I missed a couple I think.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow, great setlist.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I knew David Sanscious had done lots of session work long after he left the E-Street Band (1st 3 albums. Worth checking out without question), but had no idea he had that much of a profile.

Went to see The Ultimate Queen Show on a whim last week. It was free for me as I'm a member of the venue. I'm pretty sus about tribute bands but a combination of not expecting a lot and them getting the Queen vibe down pat with very professional showmanship and playing left me pretty impressed. They (had an extra keyboard player) looked incapable of producing the grandeour of Queen but they really pulled it off. The reproductions went a long way to showing what Queen could achieve as a simple 4 piece, and the singer understood Freddie. Plus they looked the part, especially "the inimitable Brian May", complete with real May hair who played note perfect solos.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I saw Calexico a couple weeks ago, that was pretty good. Now I need to buy some of their CDs ...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Feast Of Wire is essential listening, Brighid!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

So I hear ...

That will probably be the first one I buy, whenever I get around to it.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I went to see Dr John on Thursday night, not really knowing what to expect, but he was really good...and he did a wicked version of Dave Bartholomew's The Monkey, and my fave Ray Charles song Mess Around.

Tonight I went to see June Tabor, who was amazing...brilliant voice, she didn't sing I want to Vanish, though she did do Strange Affair by R. Thompson. Ace!!

Celtic Connection is treating me well this year...still got Ian Anderson and Billy Bragg to come!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, it's not a recent concert - it's an upcoming one - but I will be seeing Glenn Tilbrook & the Fluffers in Manhattan in April, at the Canal Room. Anyone else planning on catching this show? It's just ten days before EC & the Is at the Beacon, so it should be a great few weeks, musically speaking.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

WSS- I saw him a couple of weeks ago. A brief review here

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... rook#47363

I've never seen him with The Fluffers though. I reckon I'd prefer him solo as he isn't "constrained" with setlists.

I look forward to a report. And Blue - you've got to go to see him in Toronto!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks verbal. My sister saw one of his solo gigs in San Francisco last year and had a great time. I haven't seen him perform since around 1989, so I'm really looking forward to it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm hoping to see Tilbrook here in April as well.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

BlueChair wrote:Feast Of Wire is essential listening, Brighid!
And a brilliant album title
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I went to see the L.A. band Shivaree (you may recall their song "Goodnight Moon" playing at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2 as Uma Thurman drives away aftering killing Bill) at a supper club on Tuesday night. Great show... Shivaree is definitely one of those bands that you don't necessarily anticipate getting excited about, but once you're hooked you wish the world knew who they were.

This afternoon I'm interviewing Ambrosia Parsley, the band's lead singer. She also sings the news on Chuck D's Air America show 'Unfiltered'
bobster

Post by bobster »

BlueChair wrote:I went to see the L.A. band Shivaree (you may recall their song "Goodnight Moon" playing at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2 as Uma Thurman drives away aftering killing Bill)
Hey you gave away the ending! I suppose we're going to have to start running spoiler tags now.

Now, here's my opinion on "Million Dollar Baby".... :wink:
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

bobster wrote:
Now, here's my opinion on "Million Dollar Baby".... :wink:
Hilary's a man pretending to be a woman pretending to be a man!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I was fortunate to see Elton John's The Red Piano at Caesar's Palace. This was my first time seeing Elton and he put on an excellent show. The direction, the stage sets with huge inflatable pieces of fruit and women body parts, and the video vignettes playing on a huge screen that ran along the back of the stage - all done by David LaChapelle were masterfully done. By my count he only did thirteen songs, but I can be wrong. It is hard to justify spending $250 for that, but I purchased a $100 ticket off to stage-left where I could see 90% of the stage. The band all was set up on the right so I saw everyone. I do not recall all the songs he did, but they were mostly his hits - Benny & The Giants, Candle In The Wind, That's Why They Call It The Blues, Sat. Night's Alright for Fighting (he had some audience members come up on stage and join him around the piano for this one)

He was commenting on two new bands he like nowadays are Scissor Sisters and The Killers.

He was extolling the virtues of Advil because he had had the flu the previous weekend and he was afraid he might have to cancell the show, but he was feeling fine after taking the stuff. He sounded great so it must have worked. I heard that he did cancell the following night. It must put pressure on an artist when a venue is promoting the show with hotel accomodations for $1000 and then having to cancell the show.
- M. Twain
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Saw The Angelic Upstarts (local heroes hereabouts) in a pub last night.

Skinheads, mohicans, Fred Perry T Shirts, it was a timewarp back to '78.

There were a couple of pogo dancers (one on crutches!) who kept going for over an hour!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Lust for Glory ! - my god they're still kicking?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.