Best Group of Musicians

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
taz
Site Admin

Best Group of Musicians

Post by taz »

So I was listening to The Who - Live at Leeds and I was thinking to myself (how else can you think) that The Who could possibly be the best combination of musicians assembled as a rock band. Each musician could arguably considered for the top five (top ten at least) of their respective instruments with John Entwhistle, Keith Moon and Townshend.

I think EC and the Attractions could possibly be considered as well, but what do you folks think? Any other 'super groups'?

*of course this doesn't include special groups or 'one-off' type things...
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

and Daltrey had one of the most powerful voices ever too.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

My immediate vote goes to the Eno/Fripp/Belew era of King Crimson. Hard to beat, in my O.

There E Street Band is not too shabby either!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

The Who were my fav rock group in my teens and Roger Daltrey was my pin up. I was thrilled when I wrote to him never expecting a reply and he sent me a huge poster of himself personally dedicated to me!! Oh the joy was undescribable! It had pride of place on my bedroom wall for years. The group was never the same for me after Kieth Moon died. :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
A rope leash

Players and musicians

Post by A rope leash »

Here are some groups that I think are especially talented:

The Who
Deep Purple (early stuff)
Yes
Kansas
ZZ Top
Everclear
Foo Fighters

But, the ever-changing ochestra known as The Mothers of Invention are by far the most professional musicians to ever play rock and roll, or something like it. Even if they weren't known as "The Mothers", the musicians that played for Frank Zappa had to be of rare quality, due to the complicated compositions.

Members of his touring bands often complained that Frank would not allow drug use on the road. It wasn't that Frank was against people taking drugs, it was that he simply could not afford to lose a musician to law enforcement. That's how difficult the book is, and that's why we don't hear many covers of Zappa tunes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

indeed, frank reigned them in and frustrated many and contrary to the sound there was little room for improvisation. but the who may be the pick, except (sorry doof) for the voice. the real virtuosos are dead and i suspect many do not today grasp what really drove that band. i have fought back arguing on the best guitarist thread, but pete was a bit of a novelty in 1965 and it was the lead bass playing and bombastic drumming that broke the ground. (and keith wasn't the deal back then either, it was brian.) king crimson is an excellent pick.

never mind, i'll say Rush for individual virtuosity!
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Would Steely Dan count? I mean, they've almost always gotten crack musicians for their albums, but they get some of the best in the business. What rock band has Bernard Purdie, Wayne Shorter, Jeff Porcaro, Jeff Baxter, etc., on their albums? Just incredible players...but never really did they have the same band twice. Donald's pretty mean on the Fender Rhodes, too...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

jeff porcaro, hmmmm, reminds me, maybe for this catagory....Toto :?:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

KANSAS? TOTO?

What is this, wankville???

I agree with you on The Who, but I think my #1 vote goes to The Band. Whether they're having Levon on drums, Richard on piano, Garth on organ, Robbie on guitar, and Rick on bass; or Levon on mandolin, Richard on drums, Garth on accordion, Robbie on guitar, and Rick on fiddle... regardless of what the hell they're doing.. they're SOLID... and even when they add in those complex horn arrangements they stay solid.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Great bands are always greater than the sum of their parts, blah, blah...

Here's proof: The Who's rhythm section are dead. The Beatles non-rhythm section are dead. Imagine a band of Pete, Roger, Ringo and Paul. It would be awful.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I agree with The Band, and also with Mothers of Invention and King Crimson.

I would have to add to those The Cream, Blind Faith, Midnight Oil, and Bill Laswell's Material (not exactly rock n roll, but then again nor are the Mothers).
A rope leash

Defense Department

Post by A rope leash »

Not just Wankville, but Wankville, Kansas!

Instead of the band Kansas, I could have said ELO (Hi, Selfmade!), or Queen.

At least they bothered to innovate. Ever hear of Black Oak Arkansas?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

It wouldn't be awful Dr. J....it would be like Wings!....oh... :lol:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wings actually had some solid musicians in it... those of you who don't believe me, listen to Wings Over America. Say what you will about Linda, but Jimmy McCulloch, Denny Laine, Joe Englsih, and Paul McCartney are solid musicians.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Blue, isn't that weird?! Denny Laine.....PENNY LANE!

Freaky.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I'm a "Back to the Egg man myself. Isn't Townshend on "Rockestra Theme"?

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

So is Bruce Thomas.

Rockestra Theme is a pretty astounding lineup.

Guitars: Denny Laine, Laurence Juber, Dave Gilmour, Hank Marvin, Pete Townshend

Drums: Steve Holly, John Bonham, Kenney Jones

Basses: Paul McCartney, John Paul Jones, Ronnie Lane, Bruce Thomas.

Pianos: Paul McCartney, Gary Brooker, John Paul Jones

Keyboards: Linda McCartney, Tony Ashton

Percussion: Speedy Acquaye, Tony Carr, Ray Cooper, Morris Pert

Horns: Howie Casey, Tony Dorsey, Steve Howard, Thaddeaus Richard.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Dr. J, here's my ultimate 1981 album, made in the winter of 80-81, so John is SAFE in LONDON.

Tug of War
--Lennon McCartney

1. (Just Like) Starting Over
2. Tug of War
3. Take it Away (with Ringo)
4. Watching the Wheels (with Beatles)
5. Dress me up as a Robber (with Elvis COSTELLO)
6. Woman
7. What's that you're Doing (Stevie Wonder.)
8. I'M LOSING YOU
9. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
10. Wanderlust
11. Cleanup Time
12. When we was Fab (beatles)
13. Help Me to Help Myself

think how great these songs would be as Lennon/McCartney songs with both geniuses perspectives and counterpoints.
I read somewhere that John was close to reconciling with Paul and maybe even taking another "break" from Yoko. Do you guys think that is true?
girl out of time

best musicians in a group

Post by girl out of time »

BOOKER T AND THE MG´s

_Booker t - hammond organ
_Steve Cropper- guitar
_Donald Duck Dunn- bass
_Al Jackson, Jr.- drums
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

that was a nice one to pull out of your little butt, girly.

as much as i blah blah blah, see drj's comment on page 1. he's got it. makes this topic wacky.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

LessThanZero wrote:....
I read somewhere that John was close to reconciling with Paul and maybe even taking another "break" from Yoko. Do you guys think that is true?
can't see the break w/ yoko myself. reconcilling w/ paul, possibly. remember double fantasy was just being released - were the recordings on that so old that he'd want to break w/ Yoko just after making all that fab 'love you, love me, love our lives' music? just my opinion.

poppet, former beatlemaniac (still LUV the fab four, but no longer a freak about it)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Steely Dan is a good choice. The original lineup of Living Colour (Muzz on bass). The personnel on Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles is pretty amazing.

But the Who probably get my vote.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
HungupStrungup

this just in . . .

Post by HungupStrungup »

Pardon me once more for chiming in as I catch up on older threads.

Eno was never a King Crimson member. He worked with Robert Fripp as Fripp & Eno and with Fripp & Belew on other peoples' projects (e.g. Talking Heads' Fear of Music and Remain in Light respectively). Since Belew joined KC, the other musicians have been Bill Bruford, Tony Levin (those four get my vote as the strongest combo of musicians I ever saw perform), Pat Mastelotto and Trey Gunn.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Since this thread was resurrected - I have to throw in Los Lobos - they have never ceased to make me leave a show shaking my head and saying, "those guys can play!"
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

-Booker T & The MG's
-The Funk Brothers (Motown's house musicians. Primarily the early to mid 1960's lineup)
-The Band
-Rockpile
-The Gourds (I defy anyone to listen to Cow, Fish, Fowl or Pig and tell me these guys aren't in league with The Band in their prime)
-The Blasters
-Los Lobos