Underrated movies I really love

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Underrated movies I really love

Post by El Vez »

I'll start with Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown. I am probably in the minority here but I actually prefer this to the film version of L.A. Confidential which came out in the same year (1997) and received the lion's share of the critical hosannas. Before I say anything about Jackie Brown, let me qualify my above comparison by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed Curtis Hanson's superb adaptation of James Ellroy's brilliant, brilliant novel. The cast was flawless and the script was very creative in condensing the more difficult aspects of Ellroy's book into a fluid, relatively easy to follow film. I just cannot get past how terrible that ending was. William Goldman pointed out in his Oscar preview article for the 1997 awards that two crucial scenes killed L.A. Confidential from being a classic film for him.

One was the love scene/frame job between Ed Exley and Lynn Bracken. Goldman didn't buy someone as smart as Exley falling for so obvious a set-up. It is a bit of a stretch but I am more than willing to cut them some slack on that one. They needed something major like that to precipitate Exley and "Bud" White's confrontation and subsequent revelation. Plus, everything else was gangbusters up to that point so I am more than happy to look the other way for a skip in logic like that. The other point Goldman made, which I agree with, is that the film SHOULD have ended with Exley raising his badge over the fallen Dudley Smith. That way the final line of the film would have been Dudley's "Hold your badge up. That way they'll know your a cop." A little more oblique than Chinatown's incredible closer but still pretty devastating. Instead, you get the ending of a much lesser film that should have starred Tom Berenger and Matt Damon.

Until being completely enamored with Kill Bill, Jackie Brown was easily my favorite Tarantino film. It had me at the opening with Womack's harrowing Across 110th Street playing while Grier's clearly world-weary character glides so majestically across the airport terminal. He may be a tad obnoxious in interviews and, according to Greg Proops, you definitely do not want to be sitting in a theater with him if From Dusk Till Dawn is playing....but Quentin Tarantino has the most uncanny sense of what song fits what scene since Scorcese.

One of the most thrilling, and rare, sights in American film is when middle-aged actors are actually given the opportunity to portray tired, thwarted middle-aged people. There is such an inherent dramatic urgency when this happens and it doesn't happen enough. When an actor gets into their late 40's and on in to their 50's they have managed to live long enough to see some pretty seismic shifts in their lives and careers and their acting usually gets a lot more interesting. I never get tired of the quartet of performances by Samuel L. Jackson, Pam Grier, Robert Forster and Robert DeNiro in this film. Jackson's Odell Robie is one of the few film characters who really and truly scares the piss out of me. He's magnetic enough and a smooth enough talker to get close to you and then he kills you. His rappaport with DeNiro's dazed and confused Louis was priceless and I would love to see them work together more. DeNiro, when he clicks with costars like Charles Grodin in the great Midnight Run or here with Sam Jack, has this great ability to show you his character's relationship to everyone with almost no dialogue. In fact, the less he talks the better he is usually. He was so good in a nothing little role here that when I saw it for the first time with some friends, one of them leaned over and grumbled "Great, they killed the best character." after DeNiro's death scene.

For me, Robert Forster and Pam Grier create a much, much more believable example of middle-aged love (albeit unrequited) than bigger stars like Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton did in the bloated, intermitently funny Something's Gotta Give. I love Forster's deadpan drone and it is utilized perfectly here. He made a great cool, decent hero in this film. Not so much Humphrey Bogart as maybe Henry Fonda or a rangier Clint Eastwood. Considering how up and down Forster's life and career have been, it is exciting to watch someone who knows that this is probably their last chance to hit a home run.

I remember being a little disappointed with Grier's performance at first. I had to get a little bit older to appreciate better what she was doing. Whatever Tarantino's actual feelings are towards women, he has managed to write (or cowrite, adapt, whatever) two beautifully realized bad ass female protagonists in Jackie Brown and The Bride. Pam Grier's performance is incredilbly lived-in and it is hard to tell where she ends and the acting begins. I love her exchanges with Jackson, there's real affection there even though both are willing to kill the other, and she has some good, funny scenes with Michael Keaton who made a great, slighly wacked-out agent.....he was even funnier as the same character in Soderbergh's Out of Sight.

The film manages to slip in some pretty trenchant social commentary along with the endlessly quotable dialogue and a very cool "con" scene. Recently, I watched a documentary on blaxploitation that was fairly entertaining (although I was pissed that Rudy Ray Moore's contributions were snubbed) but it lost me with Fred "The Hammer" Williamson's annoying self-promotion. I respect the fact that old-school indie filmmakers have to be almost like carnival barkers but Williamson made some of the most boring and predictable films in the history of the genre. Richard Pryor, who appeared in Williamson's Adios Amigo!, apparently felt the same way because he would go on talk shows while promoting the movie, look directly in the camery and say "I'm sorry, I needed the money!"

Fred Williamson called Jackie Brown a second-rate imitation of a proper blaxploitation film and seemed genuinely peeved over Quentin Tarantino's "thievery" of the genre's style. All I could think was "No, your boring ass movies were a pale imitation of the good stuff. They were the exact same thing as McQ except you're black." Of course, I said this to myself because I'm sure that The Hammer could still break me in half without working up a single bead of sweat.

Damn, I'm sorry to have rambled so long. Didn't mean to do that at all. :oops:
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'm right there with you on this one, EV, my brother -- though I can't remember ever actually seeing a Fred Williamson movie.

To paraphrase and old SNL skit....

"L.A. Confidential" es muy macho, pero "Jackie Brown" es el mass macho (or is it 'macha') de todos (well, for that year, anyhow)."

The ultimate James Ellroy movie has yet to be made. Since, in my book, "The Black Dahlia" is the ultimate Ellroy book, I have hopes, even if David Fincher is far from my favorite director.

But back to JB -- the movie this reminds me of the most is no blaxsploitation movie, but another Tarentino favorite, "Rio Bravo." What I love about both movies is that the plot -- while driving the film -- is not really the point. It's more about watching the way these very interesting people live.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

I still haven't seen Jackie Brown, though I have rented it multiple times. I go through phases where I'll go to the video store and rent about 6 movies, without making the logical mental leap that I have to have five of them back in two days. So usually one or two go without being seen (unfortunately, but I'm sure Blockbuster is cool with it).

I do agree that the ending of L.A. Confidential would have been much better without all the schmaltzy stuff, but I guess some 'hollywood' had to get into it and the all powerful 'closure' that most audiences seem to need seeped in.

One movie I liked but not many people have seen is Roger Dodger, I think Campbell Scott gives a brilliant performance, about on par with his Secret Lives of Dentists as well as The Spanish Prisoner (though I think Steve Martin overshadowed him in that one). I digress...Roger Dodger is a great movie about the male egoist (playerl), their bravado, however misplaced, as well as how society sometimes forces weaker men into this mold. Or, at least that's how I see it. In any case, I must put the disclaimer on this that most women who have seen this movie are less then mesmerized (to put it lightly), but I think males should definitely check it out.

But then again, I do spend a lot of time drinking at bars, so my judgement might not mesh with most peoples...
Last edited by taz on Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Office Space.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I don't know why it is, but it seems to me that European and Asian films tend to be underrated without really trying. Perhaps it is the comparitively low budgets or the lack of famous names in leading roles - or is it that maybe subtitles scare people?

So, I would say that Diva, City of Lost Children, Joint Security Area (JSA), Hana-bi, Monsoon Wedding, Lagaan etc are all grossly underrated.

As for the more mainstream films, I would have to say that Mystery Train, Name of the Rose, and Donnie Darko are definitely underrated (despite the fact that Donnie Darko has major cult status.

I would also have to agree re Jackie Brown - I love that film... I think that maybe too many people were expecting Pulp Fiction all over again?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268995/

The Majestic

Great mood , great look , great music.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

taz: I really liked Roger Dodger, but the second time I saw it, it was with my then-boyfriend, and he didn't understand (or pretended not to) that Roger was a total asshole. Boys understand that he's an asshole, right?
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

I don't know about 'boys' Ms. BA, but 'men' on the other hand... :)

I agree that he's an asshole but I also think he's not entirely to blame...
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Eraserhead
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

migdd wrote:Office Space.
This is one of the best films ever made.

Thank you for mentioning it.