The song 'Girl In The Other Room'

Pretty self-explanatory
John

Post by John »

I confess to the board to having just bought the CD and Narrow Daylight is my favourite track certainly the most suited for a single release. Departure Bay is also good. Overall I'm not too sure yet, not had chance to listen to it all the way through uninterrupted.
I bought it for two reasons:-
1. The Elvis factor
2. It, along with most chart CDs, are now quite cheap in our local supermarket

oh, and
3. My wife bought it for me :)
It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.
BurnishedGold

Post by BurnishedGold »

Jackson Monk wrote:Not being well-versed in the woman's work, i've kept neutral in the 'is Krall crap?' argument. However, i heard 'Narrow Daylight' on the radio today and I really liked it.

Is that track typical of the album on the whole?
Having only listened to the cd once....and being the die-hard Krall fan... I'd have to say no. ND is great, but the album is all over the place. You can definately tell where the Elvis influence comes in. That is a good thing... for those songs. The other songs seem well, not right. She's off to a good start being on her own. The best is yet to come and with EC's help... it should be quite a ride.

my 2¢ 8)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Clearly not everyone agrees with you BG. An exerpt from Amazon:

Reviewer: Paul Cutts from camberley, surrey United Kingdom

My heart sank when I read that Diana Krall had married Elvis Costello and I am speaking artistically here. I feared that his influence would dominate a remarkable talent and sadly this is the case here.
This is an album designed to take Diana Krall's music into the mainstreanm of pop music. Apart from the numerous songs written by Krall and Costello most of the others are by contemporary pop/rock writers.

Unfortunately due to this the album comes across like any other non-discript pop/rock album that gloggs up the adult music scene.
In short it does not swing like her previous music, the skill is there, the songs and the soul are absent.
I am sure others will like it but I would be suprised if anybody who has liked her previous albums will.
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, I agree with BG. To each his own.