I only have ears for Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
Emotional Ricochet

I only have ears for Elvis

Post by Emotional Ricochet »

I know from reading many of the posts that lots of you have a wide range of musical tastes.
I find that over recent years, I listen to Elvis to the exclusion of almost any other music. Whatever sort of mood I am in there seems to be one of his albums that is just right for the occasion. About the only time I play anything else is when I have listened to a large amount of his material in one go. I will then dig out the Smiths or a bit of early Graham Parker.
I was just interested to know if anyone else out there feels the same way or whether you are all listening to lots of other stuff.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow.

I have heard about people who listen to The Beatles or The Grateful Dead as suffering from the same thing as you, rarely deviating from their favourite artist. I once listened to little more than The Beatles, but have since expanded in a huge way.

I think for the most part Elvis fans generally listen to a lot of music in a variety of genres, much like the man does himself, and from what I know of the folks on the board, most of us are musical sponges.

At the same time, a lot of us listen to Elvis more than anybody else.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, I've wasted my last youthful year listening to nothing but Elvis(the occasional Daryl Palumbo band as well, lets not kid ourselves).

I can't see it changing. What else is there to listen to?

<3,
s.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Well, EC is the only artist these days I'll pay more than, say, $10.00 to see live, though not on purpose.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I too find that there is a song for every mood I'm in, but I still listen to other artists just to keep me normal. :)
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
AlmostBlue

Re: I only have ears for Elvis / advice

Post by AlmostBlue »

Emotional Ricochet wrote: I was just interested to know if anyone else out there feels the same way or whether you are all listening to lots of other stuff.
I must confess.. you are not alone... !
or at least it is the only stuff that gets cranked in the car.. but you have to listen to other stuff so your friends will not think you are mad..
There is always Dylan, John Lennon, Brian Morrison, Leonard Cohen, Bill Frisell, Joni Mitchell, George Harrison, Lucinda Williams, Radio Head, Brian Eno, John Cole, Chet Baker, Jeff Lynne, David Bowie....... you can always wean yourself by covers or by degrees of separation.. i.e., Elvis Covered The Dead's Ship of Fools, so listen to the original..., or Heather Nova also did Gloomy Sunday, so try her... or Elvis did So Like Candy with McCartney, so try "You Want her Too.""" etc. etc.
wehitandrun

Re: I only have ears for Elvis / advice

Post by wehitandrun »

Haha, my friends think I'm crazy.

The word "obsessed" really offends me.

<3,
s.
Charlie Sedaka

Post by Charlie Sedaka »

u need to chill i reckon - u is getting over excited. u will be sick on the floor innit.
Sorry, got distracted - I was poring a dirty book as if I was playing the piano.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Charlie Sedaka wrote:u need to chill i reckon - u is getting over excited. u will be sick on the floor innit.
what?

Will you please stop calling me out, Sedaka? The first three times it was funny, now it's just ridiculous.

<3,
s.
Charlie Sedaka

Post by Charlie Sedaka »

is only my opinion.
Sorry, got distracted - I was poring a dirty book as if I was playing the piano.
Charlie Sedaka

Post by Charlie Sedaka »

u seem very excited is all.

i worry about u
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I get offended when they say obsessed.
But what can I do?

He's really killed pop music hasn't he?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Who's Daryl Palumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I 'listen' to a lot of stuff, but only buy from about half a dozen artists on a regular basis the main one by far being our Elvis.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

For me it´s like,

listen a lot EC all the time but mostly with another band in and out having their heyday for a month or so.

Like, My morning jacket, John Squire and Monster Magnet (?!) being this years contenders so far.

EC is for all seasons :D

------------------------------
when I said I was lying I might have been lying
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I've never heard Elvis compared to (St) Thomas More before :D

Neither of them let anyone tell them what to think I guess...and this site might also :lol: be a Utopia for some!
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

I spend the last 4 years of my life listening Dylan and Dylan ONLY!
A couple of weeks ago i put Imperial Burlesque in my CD player and i was scare: it was almost as good as Dylan!

Although i´m still discovering Costello music (only own 5 records) he´s definitely my second favourite artist nowadays. And i do belive he´ll always be!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:I spend the last 4 years of my life listening Dylan and Dylan ONLY!
A couple of weeks ago i put Imperial Burlesque in my CD player and i was scare: it was almost as good as Dylan!
Imperial Burlesque? You just fused two records together into one! Do you mean Imperial Bedroom (Elvis) or Empire Burlesque (Dylan)?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

BlueChair wrote:
Bob And Charlotte wrote:I spend the last 4 years of my life listening Dylan and Dylan ONLY!
Imperial Burlesque? You just fused two records together into one! Do you mean Imperial Bedroom (Elvis) or Empire Burlesque (Dylan)?

lolololol

i can´t believe i did that...

i was talkin about Imperial Bedroom (Empire Burlesque is a quite bad Dylan in fact) lol
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Chocolate on the Tracks being far superior of course... :D
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

or:

I'm partial to Punch The Clock Back Home and Nashville Trust. Not to mention All This Time Out Of Mind.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Episode of Blonde on Blonde. Probably the best of the entire Declan Zimmerman catalogue.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

So Like a Rolling Stone

Tangled Up in BlueChair

I Hope You're Happy You're a Big Girl Now

Shelter from the Tokyo Storm Warning
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ballad Of A Thin Man Out Of Time
Absolutely Sweet Pear
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

How about...

Less than love minus Zero
Tell me that My Aim isn't True
Almost Subterranean Homesick Blue
Obviously 5 Beyond Believers
All the tired King Horses

fun game :D