Legacy Preps Dave Edmunds Reissues

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Found this on Billboard.com and thought it may be of some interest to EC fans.

Sony/Legacy has set an April 20 release date for three titles affiliated with Rockpile principal Dave Edmunds. The label will issue expanded editions of Rockpile's lone 1980 album "Seconds of Pleasure" and the Edmunds-produced soundtrack to the film "Porky's Revenge," as well as a newly compiled retrospective, "The Best of Dave Edmunds."

"Seconds of Pleasure" was recorded after Rockpile had risen to fame on the strength of its purist rock'n'roll sound and top-notch live performances. It proved to be the lone album released by the group, which also featured singer/songwriter Nick Lowe, before splintering to pursue other projects.

"We specialized in playing Chuck Berry music four times faster than anyone else," Lowe writes in the reissue liner notes. "We got together for fun and when the fun had all been had we packed it in." The new edition adds seven bonus tracks, including the four-track 7-inch vinyl EP included with the original album, two live cuts from an April 1977 session on BBC radio and a cover of Graham Parker's "Crawling From the Wreckage" from the 1981 album "Concerts for the People of Kampuchea."

In 1985, Edmunds drafted such famous rock'n'roll pals as George Harrison, Jeff Beck, Carl Perkins and Willie Nelson to contribute new recordings to the "Porky's Revenge" soundtrack, which has been out of print for years. The reissue adds a previously unreleased version of Perkins' "Honey Don't" and the Edmunds B-side "Don't Call Me Tonight."

Finally, "The Best of Dave Edmunds" rounds up 16 of his best-known tracks, including his 1970 No. 4 Billboard pop singles chart hit "I Hear You Knocking" and 1983's No. 39 entry "Slipping Away." Also featured are soundtrack contributions to "Light of Day" and "Back to the Beach."

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The Rockpile lp "Seconds of Pleasure" remains in my top ten of all time. The fact that it will be reissued with great additional material will only make it an absolute must buy for those who admire the work of Costello, Lowe, and Edmunds.

I am excited about reacquiring the new and enhanced "Seconds of Pleasure"

Thanks for letting us know that it is on the way. Appreciate it.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Very good news on the Rockpile reissue - the bonus ep was all covers of the Everly Brothers songs - right? They issued these tracks on the original cd issue - so we really get three bonus tracks and enhanced sound - plus liner notes. Good stuff.

Question - I never realized that Crawling From The Wreckage was a Graham Parker song. Where can I find Graham's version? I checked AMG and I don't see where it was originally released.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bobster

Post by bobster »

BWAP --

You're definitely right about the bonus EP being all Everly tracks and they were on the original CD (I have it.)

Can't answer the "Crawling from the Wreckage" question. It's possible it was on "Heat Treatment" or "Howling Wind", but I don't think so....

Great news!!! And, btw, me and Dave Edmunds have the same birthday (as does Emma Thompson). I guess that means something...if you believe in astrology, or are stupid.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Daryl Hall and Elmore Leonard share my birthday.

Jean Cocteau and Edith Piaf both died on the day I was born.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
migdd

Post by migdd »

As far as I'm aware, Graham has never released his own version of Crawling From The Wreckage (I've got ALL of his albums, ahem) until Your Country, his latest release due out March 9th on Bloodshot Records. I've been lucky enough to score a promo copy of this CD and it is fantastic! GP's version of CFTW is a rollicking, country-tinged rocker that really swings. BTW - the album's other cover is a version of the Dead's Sugaree. The CD also features a duet with Lucinda Williams. Get it soon!!!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

migdd wrote:As far as I'm aware, Graham has never released his own version of Crawling From The Wreckage (I've got ALL of his albums, ahem) until Your Country, his latest release due out March 9th on Bloodshot Records. I've been lucky enough to score a promo copy of this CD and it is fantastic! GP's version of CFTW is a rollicking, country-tinged rocker that really swings. BTW - the album's other cover is a version of the Dead's Sugaree. The CD also features a duet with Lucinda Williams. Get it soon!!!
GP did a version of Crawling on this
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 27-9241636
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks, Martin! I actually have the Live Episodes CD but had totally forgotten about that live version. I'll have to go back and listen to it again to compare to the great version on Your Country.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Very good news on the Rockpile reissue - the bonus ep was all covers of the Everly Brothers songs - right?
Yes. They are:
Take a Message to Mary
Crying in the Rain
Poor Jenny
When Will I Be Loved
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

This is all good news indeed. SECONDS OF PLEASURE was a greaty, to be sure. Perhaps the great Selfmademug CD Cleanup and Organization Project will be complete by the time these are added to my collection... it was scheduled to be completed before the end of Boston's Big Dig, but it's looking like the CD project needs a bit more time.

Odd what people one shares b-days with, no? I share mine with Gypsy Rose Lee, Brendan Behan, Joe Pesci, Mia Farrow (scary!), and Toni Morrison... and presumably one or two normal people.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I left out Henry James and Bessie Smith! (Inquiring minds need to know!)

Also, Charlie Chaplin was born the day before my birthday, and Thomas Jefferson was born the day after (or maybe it was the other way around). Coincidence???
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!