Top 50 Elvis songs of all time

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

private message me with your definitive list, please.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

private message me with your definitive list, in order of preference, please. The calculations are based on ranking AND number of people who voted for a song, so it matters that it's in order.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Blue have you pm'd the people who haven't contributed asking the for the top 15....maybe their not checking this thread!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Better late than never, I guess. For my 100th post (It's about time!), here are my top 50 in no particular order. Somehoe, though, I can't help feeling like I'm missing something. . .
I'm in the Mood Again
When I Was Cruel #2
Other End of the Telescope
You Bowed Down
Poor Fractured Atlas
All This Useless Beauty
I Want To Vanish
All the Rage
London's Brilliant Parade
Sulky Girl
The Birds Will Still be Singing
The Other Side of Summer
Harpies Bizzarre
So Like Candy
That Day is Done
Couldn't Call it Unexpected #4
Georgie and Her Rival
Veronica
God's Comic
Last Boat Leaving
I Hope You're Happy Now
I Want You
Blue Chair (!)
Brilliant Mistake
I'll Wear It Proudly
The Poisoned Rose
American Without Tears
Sleep of the Just
Shipbuilding
The World and His Wife
Almost Blue
Man Out of Time
Beyond Belief
Clubland
New Lace Sleeves
Riot Act
New Amsterdam
Temptation
Motel Matches
Accidents Will Happen
Oliver's Army
Party Girl
The Beat
No Action
This Year's Girl
Alison
Miracle Man
Red Shoes
Blame It on Cain
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i mean, what can you say about that?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm going to stop accepting lists pretty soon, so those of you who haven't submitted to me.. do so soon!

Also, could someone good at math help me devise a formula to make this as accurate a list as possible? I want to take into account both # of times a song has been voted for, but also average ranking.

Thanks
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

Blue, How about this formula:
assign 15 points for a #1 vote, 14 for a #2, 13 for a #3... down to 1 point for a #15 vote.

Add up the total points and the most points is # 1, 2nd most point #2 and so on.

The only problem with this system is this: A song may not have any # 1 votes, but may have the most points. Can we live with that?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I cannot imagine the final list without the input of the foyle's. Not to diminish the others on your prestigious list of noncontributors, but I am constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge and appreciation for the EC catalog that is embedded in almost all of the postings from these guys. They have a propensity to making me understand how little I really know, and how much I would like to learn about EC and hsi bands of renown.

I hope that they contribute to strengthen the credibility of the final product...the final list.

Blue, you have been painfully clear that you needed the top 15, rank-ordered. You should only consider lists that, minimally, are rank ordered. However, the point assignment scheme mentioned above will bias songs on lists that only have 10 entries, even if they are rank ordered. The ranking scheme submitted above will work if and only if every list involved in the distillation of the final product has 15 entries that are rank ordered. Not 14, not 16, and not "in no particular order". My son is working on his PhD in biostatistics, I discussed it with him. He said he can come up with a reticualte formula that cancels bias, but it would be a hell of a lot easier if the lists had the same [n] and the same rank-ordering system of [1-n], where n = 15...period.

I submit to the group of contributors that Bluechair is doing a nobel thing to compile the definitive final list. If you have submitted anthing other than a 15 song list, rank-ordered, and via the PM process, you should resubmit. I for one am looking very forward to this list. For me, it has some real hisitorical significance, because no other group in the universe could compile such a power list...no critic, not a soul who is too close to Elvis and the supporting cast, no one who is too far away, and certainly not the omniscient critics who know and tell all.

Thank you, BlueChair. I kinda hope you are tough on enforcing the rules, Otherwise, the end product just won't carry the same meaning as it could if everyone plays by the same rules, removing bias and statistical confounding in the result.

It will certainly be excellent fodder for discussion as time goes by....
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
God's Comic

Post by God's Comic »

forcing everyone to make a 15 song list will skew the authenticity of the results.
I know that I'm not the only one who could choose 15 songs and decide on a definite order.
Like many here, I have and love all of his music, but that doesn't mean that I can put it in an order and stand by it.
We should be allowed to make 5 song lists, or 10 song lists.
I can do that.

#1 Distorted Angel
#2 My Dark Life
#3 Opportunity
#4 Oliver's Army
#5 Long Journey Home
You Say You Didn't Do it,
But You Know You Did OF COURSE!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I don't think it will skew anything, because everyone else will have worked under the same conditions.

If you used a rank-scale to get a definitive list, then it might be worthwile having a modal values list (i.e which song occurred the most) as well...Im not sure if there's a way to combine ordinal and modal data...Mr A???
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

BlueChair

1.. Work out a points value for each track based on 15pts for 1st etc. (see Hat's post). You may wish to devise your own points total for this bit it doesn't matter as long as tracks in first place get more than those in 15th etc.

2. Devide the number votes for each track by the total number of lists submitted and add on one.

3. Multiply the sum of one by the sum of two.

Examples based on you having received 20 lists:

Say that 3 people voted for Alibi and it's points value was 17:
3/20+1= 1.15*17= 19.55
Therefore Alibi would have a total of 19.55

5 people vote for Veronica and it's points value is 15:
5/20+1= 1.25*15= 18.75
Veronica gets a total of 18.75

15 people vote for Lipstick Vogue with total points of 112:
15/20+1= 1.75*112= 196.00
Lipstick Vogue's total is 112

If you wanted I could send you an Excel worksheet that would work it out once you have got the number of votes and the total points, or alternatively send me the points and number of votes and I'll do it.
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

yikes!!! a mathematician lurks amongst us!!!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

*Passes out* I...am...so confused about all that...so much thinking for a list of songs...
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm going to be calculated the results this weekend, so those of you who haven't got their lists in my mailbox yet, please do so by Friday evening.

To ensure that I get your list, private message it to me, don't post here.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I can't believe I haven't done this yet. I will by Friday, promise. Always was a procrastinator....
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

*shameless plugs for battered old bird and episode of blonde*
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Since a few of you promised me lists and haven't sent them yet, I will make tonight the new deadline.

Ahem, ladies :lol:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think you might as well set the deadline for this, and the CD as 'when hell freezes over'....put it on a sticky, and just sit back and wait! :lol:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

awww.

the cd will be soon.

<3,
s.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

As Pip will testify, this nearly killed me; she had to hold me up to do it, and then when I thought I'd finally done it, I realised I'd forgotten ALL of GET HAPPY!!

I ONLY DID THIS OUT OF LOVE FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE!! :x :shock: 8)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Okay, I did it. Don't even ask how many are from KOA. :roll:
Misha

Post by Misha »

I am still in awe by SLL's post!!!! and somehow I need an Advil now....

wow...math....hurts.....

:D
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL PEOPLE? TOP 15, IN ORDER.

Anyway, yeah.

Thanks for your lists, people. :wink:
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

BlueChair wrote:HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL PEOPLE? TOP 15, IN ORDER.
Blue~Don't you ever wonder why you're doing this to yourself? :lol:

I did (eventually) send you my list......apologies included. The reason I mention it is because it lookslike it was sent but never showed up in my "sent" box.
(This trying to choose 15 Costello songs has got me totally wacked out.)
I'm not angry anymore....
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

ooops
sorry. I think I wrote "in no particular order" but that part is harder than picking only 15. It's not like we are picking the top 15 songs of Devo or something, I mean this man has a huge body of work.