UK Dates

Pretty self-explanatory
RonDoc

UK Dates

Post by RonDoc »

Any indication of shows in the UK anytime soon ?
Top balcony

Re: UK Dates

Post by Top balcony »

Looking at the currently published tour schedule on the wiki for 2011, there seems to be the usual Liverpool-gig sized gap in the calendar around his Mum's birthday in July.

Here's hoping...

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Let's hope you're right.

I've no doubt there'll be a Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour this year and July's good for me!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Top balcony wrote:Looking at the currently published tour schedule on the wiki for 2011, there seems to be the usual Liverpool-gig sized gap in the calendar around his Mum's birthday in July.

Here's hoping...

Colin Top Balcony
does he usually get to UK for mothers bday??? good boy...
verbal gymnastics

But he never calls or emails me to say he's in town...

...and after all the things we 've been through :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Memo to Elvis - I'll be in Hungary& AustriaJune 23 to July 1 '11. If all your U.K. /Ireland dates coincide with that.....well, words fail me!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

At the risk of raining on everyone's parade, there are now US dates thru' (as our American cousins would have it) most of June and in the third week of July. The European tour seems to be solo dates only in October and November.

If there are to be any UK Imposters dates, we are looking at two weeks in July at best I would guess.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

If there are to be any UK Imposters dates, we are looking at two weeks in July at best I would guess.

MOOT[/quote]

and that window is just more than enough to get them there for you. you know when he/they are on their workaholic roll, he could squeeze a europe trek in. in fact, i think he likes being overseas (away from America) around the 4th of July. i'll keep rooting for you guys to get some "band" shows. you deserve it too.
verbal gymnastics

[quote="Man out of Time" If there are to be any UK Imposters dates, we are looking at two weeks in July at best I would guess.

MOOT[/quote]

That's when I think it will happen.

My diary is going to be clear around that time.

I wonder if he'll go for a few 2/3 night stints in London, Glasgow and Liverpool (and possibly Newcastle).
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

verbal gymnastics wrote: I wonder if he'll go for a few 2/3 night stints in London, Glasgow and Liverpool (and possibly Newcastle).
Well given that neither of the single night performances in Newcastle (Gateshead) or Glasgow were anywhere near full last year it would seem mightily ambitious to go for multiple dates in those two locations if he were to play them this year.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Steve Nieve is in London July 29th playing with Squeeze (my 50th Birthday) also they are playing the V Festival middle of August.
verbal gymnastics

Pigalle wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote: I wonder if he'll go for a few 2/3 night stints in London, Glasgow and Liverpool (and possibly Newcastle).
Well given that neither of the single night performances in Newcastle (Gateshead) or Glasgow were anywhere near full last year it would seem mightily ambitious to go for multiple dates in those two locations if he were to play them this year.
I was thinking along the lines of a Spinning Songbook Show and an Imposters an/or a solo show as part of the stint. Logisitically it would be a nightmare to set up a Songbook show for just one night so a second or third night would offset the cost for this.

And the July (August) dates would still tie in for Steve...
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I don't think the Songbook is going to be part of the shows after May.
verbal gymnastics

I certainly hope you're wrong. Any particular reason for your thought?

I'd have thought the high ticket prices for the shows in the US would offset the cost of the shows elsewhere.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I certainly hope you're wrong. Any particular reason for your thought?

I'd have thought the high ticket prices for the shows in the US would offset the cost of the shows elsewhere.
Well, it's more a feeling than anything else. I certainly don't expect the Songbook at the summer shows in the US, as he's booked mostly in outdoor places, a lot of them with general admission, etc. The Songbook really only works in theatres, as it's too hard to pull audience members up otherwise.

(Although in 1987 he did use it in college gymnasiums. But it was still seated.)

The June 15 show is advertised on the venue site like this:

"The best known rocker in glasses since Buddy Holly, Costello promises a night of fierce rock ’n’ roll and clever songwriting that will run the gamut of his 35-year career, from his greatest hits to his latest album."

I hope I'm wrong too, if shows are booked there and you want to see the Big Wheel....

dave
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

I'd like the wheel, but I just really really wanna see the Imposters. I've seen him solo twice, with Allen Toussaint and with the Brodsky quartet but still not with the Imposters!
verbal gymnastics

Welcome Roofdog.

We in the UK haven't seen The Imposters for quite a while so we're due a visit.

I'd love to see the Songbook again as well but I don't care in what guise Elvis comes over here; just as long as he does!
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Thanks VG, I've been lurking here for ages and hadn't actually realised that was my first post! Do you know when the last UK Imposters gig was? I'm London based myself, I've been keeping an eye out since my first Costello gig in 2007 and haven't noticed one.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hey, welcome, Roofdog, how about joining us nuts at the London meet-up on April 9th where you can meet the infamous VG, myself and John Foyle to name but a few !
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Hello Sulky, I actually meant to come along last year when you went to the Barney Bubbles exhibition (told you I'd been lurking...) but we had visitors in town. I managed to make the exhibition on its final day. As luck would have it I've got another visitor in town on the 9th but he's a bit of a fan so I'll see what I can do. I'll keep an eye on the meet-up thread.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I usually bring a few recorded gems from the live archives for the discerning fan so let me know if there's anything "live" you'd like ( shows you've attended etc !)
verbal gymnastics

the_roofdog wrote:Hello Sulky, I actually meant to come along last year when you went to the Barney Bubbles exhibition (told you I'd been lurking...) but we had visitors in town. I managed to make the exhibition on its final day. As luck would have it I've got another visitor in town on the 9th but he's a bit of a fan so I'll see what I can do. I'll keep an eye on the meet-up thread.
Roofdog

It would be great to meet up with you if you can make it on 9th. It's always good fun.

We'll probably meet in the Garrick Arms in Charing Cross Road. It might be an early afternoon start as John is doing a one day whistlestop UK tour!

I'll post when we've made concrete arrangements.
Last edited by verbal gymnastics on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Too much to ask for a show in Belfast? He hasn't played here with a band since 1984...
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I certainly hope you're wrong. Any particular reason for your thought?

well, the reporter announcing the July show in South Carolina says that "word is the Charleston show will feature the big wheel as well."

So maybe it will continue past May.

dave
verbal gymnastics

Well it looks like the US dates are just heading into July so that week/those weeks in July may well be say, 10th onwards?