guess so, SORRY!
krm

Re: hate this new page

Post by krm »

I´m not so fond of it either..... but hate........ naaah
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Elvis wrote: "A change is better than a rest" which is, of course, one of his many double entendre's. "A Rest, Arrest".

I like the change. the operative word is "change". In general, people resist it because it disrupts comfort levels with status quo. It seems clear that there are features in the new format that are advanced,a nd the format is easy on the eyes, I think.

I applaud the change.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not a fan - but I guess I'll get used to it
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Some one post one of those vote counters , I'm not a fan , all looks a bit Jnr computing.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

surely this is not how it is going to stay?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

oily slick wrote:surely this is not how it is going to stay?
It's not as if the previous one had tons of bells and whistles, is it? Get a few photos of EC up in the left corner, add the Amazon links back in and we're just about where we were before, with a slicker interface and better overall functionality.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, you can't please everyone.

The old board had the same face for a number of years with no real changes. This was a major upgrade that took a lot of time and effort and, although there are visual differences that may take time to get used to, offers a much better system of posting pictures and video, etc. We're not done with the graphics up top just yet, but there are some really nice amenities to this new upgrade. Doc will be happy to answer any questions you guys have.

Also, in keeping up with upgrades, we help protect ourselves from getting hacked like we once did. The security measures included in the upgrade, along with Doc's system of keeping constant backups, will keep us from being vulnerable to internet fools who have nothing better to do than hack the sites of nice folks like us.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

You wouldn't know we are just down the hall from each other -- but I am in another room working on the site.
spooky girlfriend wrote:Well, you can't please everyone.
You can't even always please yourself. Personally I like the upgrade because it does have a lot of nice new features. But I had put a lot of effort into the old software to customize it a bit for The Board. Some of my work will have to be updated and some is now obsolete.

There is an updated version of the style we used with the old software version. Go into your User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Styles and pick "subsilver2". I think it will feel more comfortable.

Seriously, each style we support requires customization. I do not want to spend hours customizing 20 styles.
spooky girlfriend wrote:The old board had the same face for a number of years with no real changes. This was a major upgrade that took a lot of time and effort and, although there are visual differences that may take time to get used to, offers a much better system of posting pictures and video, etc. We're not done with the graphics up top just yet, but there are some really nice amenities to this new upgrade. Doc will be happy to answer any questions you guys have.
I think the features alone are worth the change that makes us all a bit uncomfortable. Some of the obvious features are:
  • attachments to posts
  • Friend/Foe
  • Many admin features
  • embedded YouTube videos
  • embedded Flash content
My primary focus is technical first and pretty second. There is no point in putting a pretty face on the board until it is configured correctly.
spooky girlfriend wrote:Also, in keeping up with upgrades, we help protect ourselves from getting hacked like we once did. The security measures included in the upgrade, along with Doc's system of keeping constant backups, will keep us from being vulnerable to internet fools who have nothing better to do than hack the sites of nice folks like us.
The server had been up over two months when I rebooted it as part of this upgrade. That's pretty good. And there have been no issues more serious than power outages of a few hours in over a year.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Good job, keep up the good work Doc. The new subsilver if preferable to me, easier to see the the threads with new posts.
signed with love and vicious kisses
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

subsilver2! that's the ticket! like taking my nuts out of a vice. speaking of nuts, if you can alter this so lackso can't post any more photos of his little peewee, it'll be just right.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

subsilver2 is now the default and should be updated to have our header at the top of the page.

I am thinking you folks must have trouble breaking habits. :)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

subsilver2 isn't addictive, I should know I've been using it all my life.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Subsilver suits me - as SLL said, easier in terms of seeing new threads. And more like the old style with names on left, etc. I dig the new features and think you're very admirable putting so much care, thought, time, effort and cash into all of this. Good on you.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

oily slick wrote:subsilver2! that's the ticket! like taking my nuts out of a vice. speaking of nuts, if you can alter this so lackso can't post any more photos of his little peewee, it'll be just right.

Dahlink, that's what that "foe" thing is all about. Only you'll have to ignore all of his posts. And one or two of them can be worthwhile. :wink:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Thanks for the effort. The look will take a little getting used to but most new things do

My own question / suggestion - could they default view be most recent post first on a topic vs. last so we don't have to always scroll to the end?
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

jmm wrote:Thanks for the effort. The look will take a little getting used to but most new things do

My own question / suggestion - could they default view be most recent post first on a topic vs. last so we don't have to always scroll to the end?
You can do that in user control panel, under board settings/display options. Choose descending rather than ascending as your post order and it should work.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

ProSilver and SubSilver2 should both be OK to use now. The EC Fans header is now on both.

I am working on a laptop with a fairly nice screen. Spooky reported that when her browser windows was at a lower resolution, the header didn't look right. If anyone sees something that doesn't look right, feel free to speak up.

Now on to Google Videos.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

DrSpooky wrote:ProSilver and SubSilver2 should both be OK to use now. The EC Fans header is now on both.

I am working on a laptop with a fairly nice screen. Spooky reported that when her browser windows was at a lower resolution, the header didn't look right. If anyone sees something that doesn't look right, feel free to speak up.

Now on to Google Videos.
Looks OK to me. prosilver looking very slick. I really like having the newer posts at the top. Excellent work Doc!
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Thanks. Google videos are now working embedded.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Thanks Sam - you get the credit although I'm happy to have you share it with the new format
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

jmm wrote:Thanks Sam - you get the credit although I'm happy to have you share it with the new format
I didn't do anything but load more work onto Doc's plate. :D
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I must tell you guys that I am officially a board widow. Doc hasn't hardly spoken to me in two days while doing these upgrades.

I encourage each of you to spend time in customizing your own site view and getting to know the new features that Doc has spent so much time on improving. As with any new change, there are bugs to work out, but Doc is using his own vacation time to work on this, so have mercy on us. :)