Bruce Springsteen's "Magic"

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Bruce Springsteen's "Magic"

Post by BlueChair »

Bruce's new album with the E-Street Band comes out tomorrow. Let's discuss it here as we feel compelled to.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Very anxious for this one and planning on picking it up tomorrow.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I really like "Radio Nowhere", seems a real return to the "Darkness on the Edge of Town" sound, and the few songs he played on the Today show the other morning were sounding good too. I'll be grabbbing it tomorrow too, could be a real winner.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just picked it up, but thanks to the iPod era I can't listen to it until I rip it to my computer at home (my computer at work doesn't have a headphone jack). Oh well, something to look forward to!

The salesperson at HMV told me that if I listen to the CD and decide I don't like it that I can return it, even if it's already opened. I had never had anybody tell me that at a music store before; I wonder if it's yet another tactic to try to get people wanting to buy from record shops.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Listened once so far and enjoying is so far. It definitely has a lot of that classic Springsteen appeal to it. "Livin' In The Future" in particular sounds like it could have been recorded twenty-five years ago.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm halfway through my first listen as I write this, and I must say that I am knocked out. Haven't given the lyrics a close listen to yet, but melodically and musically, this is fantastic. Agree with Blue about Livin' in the Future and the song that follows it, Your Own Worst Enemy is a great melody. Love it!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, so far I'm catching on to the first album way more than the second half... "Your Own Worst Enemy" is terrific. Overall I think this is easy Bruce's best since Tunnel Of Love
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I love it. I love, love, love it. Love it. Did I mention that I love it?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Another New Springsteen Album Already Done?

October 05, 2007, 10:45 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Bruce Springsteen isn't always known for working quickly, but he just may have another new album already in the can on the heels of "Magic," released earlier this week via Columbia.

"There's another group of songs that exist that I think are great songs and should end up somewhere, but they just didn't quite fit with this group," says producer Brendan O'Brien, who helmed "Magic" as well as 2002's "The Rising" and 2005's "Devils & Dust."

O'Brien declined to comment on murmurs that the new album could be out as soon as next spring, saying only, "I'll defer to others on that one."

What's clear is that O'Brien has played a key role in one of the most prolific period of album releases in Springsteen's storied career. Before "The Rising," the Boss hadn't made a new studio album in seven years, and hadn't recorded with the E Street Band in nearly 20.

"He had produced his own music with other people for a long time," O'Brien says. "If he was meeting with me, it meant he maybe wanted to try something new and inspired. He needed somebody to help him get over the hump."

In contrast to the somber, Sept. 11, 2001-themed "The Rising," the folk-leaning solo album "Devils & Dust" and last year's all-traditional "The Seeger Sessions," "Magic" offers some of the most melodic songs Springsteen has written in years. The material is tailor-made for the onstage power of the E Street Band, which has just begun a North American tour.

O'Brien credits Springsteen with allowing him to participate in the vetting process, which in turn shaped the mostly high-energy vibe of the new album.
"It was clear he wanted that kind of input, and I let him know right away that that's something I like to do and am helpful with," he says. "On this one, we met at his place and he sat down and played me a bunch of songs. I would be looking at the lyric book while he was singing them. He'd finish, we'd talk, and we'd make notes."

Once ensconced at O'Brien's Atlanta studio, the producer set Springsteen up with a pared-down core band of drummer Max Weinberg, bassist Garry Tallent and pianist Roy Bittan to record basic tracks. Contributions from E Streeters like guitarist Steven Van Zandt, keyboardist Danny Federici and saxophonist Clarence Clemons were added later.

"As best I can tell, everyone else seems at peace with that," O'Brien says. "We'll bring Danny and Steve in, but by that point, I have a better idea as to what we need them for. It makes their overdubbing much more specific."
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

I think it's a great record. It's unashamedly BIG for much of the time and it put me in such a good mood the first time I played it, I put it on again immediately, which I don't often do.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Bad Ambassador wrote: it put me in such a good mood
Yes, that's it exactly. It makes me feel 20 years old again.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Mrs Monkster will be dispatched to the shops to collect this for me tomorrow. Great to see Bruce at number 1 instead of a bloody boy band.
corruptio optimi pessima
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I agree with most others that this is a really exciting return to form.
I haven't enjoyed a Springsteen album as much since The River (not having really liked Tunnel of Love). You can't beat that BIG full-on East Street Band sound. I particularly like the two BIG, orchestrated, Spectoresque ballads, Your own worst enemy and Girls in their summer clothes. One minor gripe is that Clarence's sax solos should be much LOUDER (like on The River).
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Jackson Monk wrote:Mrs Monkster will be dispatched to the shops to collect this for me tomorrow.
You're not doing yourself any favours here!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Mrs Monkster --- Honey , Im home!

Jackson ---- Did you get my Springsteen CD?

Mrs Monkster --- Of course honey bunch!! - oh ....and they were having a Sale so I just got these really nice shoes, a real bargain at only $350 and a handbag to go with them of course, and they had these lovely ear rings ...... and well, I really needed a new dress......and this blouse just matches it perfectly dont you think ..... and then I found this lovely skirt , and this gorgeous .........etc etc etc
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Jackson (distractedly and sprinting towards the CD player) ---- Good, good. Lovely. Whatever you want, cuteypie.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Fishfinger king wrote:I agree with most others that this is a really exciting return to form.
I haven't enjoyed a Springsteen album as much since The River (not having really liked Tunnel of Love). You can't beat that BIG full-on East Street Band sound. I particularly like the two BIG, orchestrated, Spectoresque ballads, Your own worst enemy and Girls in their summer clothes. One minor gripe is that Clarence's sax solos should be much LOUDER (like on The River).
Agree 100% re: the sax sound and those two numbers. This is just a great album. Incredibly catchy- I think that melody-wise it is probably Bruce's strongest album ever.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Mrs. Doofster (sorry, I'm in a time warp): Honey, thanks so much for sending me to the mall! I got your CD and only spent $4552.37!

Jackson: Thanks, Darling! But. . . $4552.37???

Mrs. Doofster: Oh, yes. . I just couldn't resist the department store travel agent's special 37-day cruise to Ubabababango. What a deal! By the way, I met Mrs. migdd quite by accident and opened up a joint account at 36.75% in order to book the cruise for four. . .hope that's okay, Sweetest!!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Have you guys been eavesdropping???!!! :evil:
corruptio optimi pessima
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Also available on the Amazon click above which helps Doc and I finance the site. Shameless plug, I know, but every little bit helps. :)
Otis Westinghouse

migdd wrote:Jackson: Thanks, Darling! But. . . $4552.37???
Mrs Doofster: I know, amazing isn't it? You spend your whole life using sterling and suddenly they're expecting us to use dollars!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A well-deserved No. 1 debut by Magic on this week's Billboard charts.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
migdd wrote:Jackson: Thanks, Darling! But. . . $4552.37???
Mrs Doofster: I know, amazing isn't it? You spend your whole life using sterling and suddenly they're expecting us to use dollars!
And American dollars at that! How rude!!! :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

She could have been out buying power tools, or a motorcycle jacket, or maybe a riding lawn mower, ya know.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Great Album!!!

Enjoying it enormously 8)

Now I'll just have to get Mrs Monskster to Mow that lawn!
corruptio optimi pessima