Hubert Sumlin RIP

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Hubert Sumlin RIP

Post by johnfoyle »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Sumlin

He died on December 4, 2011, in hospital in Wayne, New Jersey, of heart failure at the age of 80

Hubert Sumlin with Elvis Costello, c. 2002

More recently -

2011-10-06 Montclair

w/Hubert Sumlin, soundcheck - Toni Ann/Facebook

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ert_Sumlin
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Hubert Sumlin RIP

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Terrible, terrible news. God, Ken Russell and Hubert Sumlin in the space of a week.
jardine

Post by jardine »

my my. jerry ragovoy, solomon burke, howard tate, and now hubert sumlin--elvis' various proximities to these four (I know there were others in the past year, too) makes a weird, heartwarming kind of sense.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

elvis' various proximities to these four (I know there were others in the past year, too) makes a weird, heartwarming kind of sense.
Agreed. It has been good to see Elvis doing his best to do something - anything - with his heroes while its possible.
blureu

Post by blureu »

Wish the Montclair show had been taped. A travesty it wasn't.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

blureu wrote:Wish the Montclair show had been taped. A travesty it wasn't.
i said it before, i'll say it again...you all should take a collection: a lousy buck each would probably get me to the two shows annually i can NOT afford!!! :lol:
but srsly, figure it this way...it appears i am the only taper for these three shows this past year: 4-1 Gramercy; 5-23 Beacon and 10-5 Wellmont.
R.I.P. to Mr. Sumlin, who dumb luck, is the only show of 100 (4-22-2005 Beacon) that i lack the entire recording because of a bad tape flip AND no other taper. the missing portion does indeed include the Hubert guest spot. so, what, we have NO RECORDED PROOF other than youtube of him playing with EC?
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

from flickr: Elvis with Hubert Sumlin on December 3, 2008.

"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

The funeral of blues guitarist Hubert Sumlin will be paid for by the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have reportedly "insisted" on footing the bill for the services, to be held in New Jersey this weekend.

"I just wanted to share with you, Hubert's loving fans, that [Mick and Keith] have insisted on picking up the full expenses for Hubert's funeral," revealed Toni Ann Mamary, Sumlin's manager and partner. "God bless the Rolling Stones."

Jagger and Richards are long-time admirers of Sumlin, who died of heart failure on 4 December. Richards not only featured him on his 2005 album – in recent years, he helped cover the guitarist's medical expenses. "The Stones – they're nice people," Sumlin told the New York Times earlier this year. Musicians such as Richards "can run a ring around me as guitar players", he explained, "but they respect me … They came to [Howlin'] Wolf's house because, you know, they heard us doing Little Red Rooster."

The Stones stars issued statements following Sumlin's death:

"Warm, humourous and always encouraging, he was a gentleman of the first order," wrote Richards. "Miss him, yes, but we have his records. All my condolences to his family. One love, Hubert."

"Hubert was an incisive yet delicate blues player," Jagger wrote. "He had a really distinctive and original tone and was a wonderful foil for Howlin' Wolf's growling vocal style … He was an inspiration to us all."

Sumlin will be honoured with public services on 11 and 12 December in Totowa, New Jersey. He will be laid to rest in a private service in Illinois on Tuesday 13 December.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/de ... in-funeral
jmm

Post by jmm »

Wonder if the wellmont show was Hubert's last appearance?

I'm remembering the big smile he gave when I yelled "Hubert!!" as he took the stage but before he had been introduced

Rest in peace Hubert, thanks for all of the great and joyful work
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
jardine

Post by jardine »