EC sings No Wonder from For The Stars

Pretty self-explanatory
strangerinthehouse

EC sings No Wonder from For The Stars

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I've been listening a lot to the superb recording from the Nov. 7 show in Berlin, which includes one song that I've been dying to hear live - No Wonder.

EC's performance of that song is so much better than the one in For The Stars, much more emotionally charged and the sole piano accompaniment is just perfect.

For The Stars was the last album I bought to complete my EC collection. My local library sell CDs and books from time to time and I was so surprised when I found it. It was only $2. No Wonder is a standout but I can't really say I enjoy Annie Sofie Von Otter's voice. It's a beautiful voice I know and perhaps in other settings, I would like it more, but with these "pop songs" it doesn't work as well.

Still, whenever I listen to the album I end up wishing that EC would perform some of these songs elsewhere or that a demo of each existed somewhere.

I know he's performed some of these on and off, Rope is the most recent example I can think of. Of course, there are those that appear in his albums. But I would love to hear his vocals on For No One, April After All, You Still Believe in Me, Just a Curio, For The Stars and Take it With Me.

Rope is one that works great in the album, it's almost like something off the soundtrack for a thriller. Von Otter's voice somehow makes it darker. In this case, I think EC's live acoustic performance kind of falls short.

Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) is also a standout in the album and I can't imagine what an EC reading of that song would be like but I also think it wouldn't quite work. Her voice is perfect in it as well as the instrumentation which is very different from the original Beach Boys version.

Well, that's my rant. What other songs from For The Stars would you like to hear EC perform?
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
migdd

Re: EC sings No Wonder from For The Stars

Post by migdd »

I'd like to hear For the Stars (the song, not the entire album) performed with The Imposters.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Would love to hear "Green Song" played by the Brodskys :)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Is this another case of EC or his acolytes reading this forum and noting the albums not represented on the SSS ?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I would be open to a revisit of the "Broken Bicycles/Junk" medley- there is something about their respective melodies that I think would suit his aged solo voice these days.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just noticed this for sale on eBay - a vinyl copy of For The Stars available as a signed copy of 2 x L.P.s . Not even vaguely tempted here though the SSS for $200 (about £125 seems a little more tempting !!)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANNE-SOFIE-VO ... 2c61c8b382

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elvis-Costell ... 3f11ac34aa
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you know, i saw this one time when i was SUPER POOR for just about $50. and i still do sometimes see the vinyl for $40-50 (w/o autographs!)...it will ONE DAY be acquired as i believe it is the only LP pressed upon vinyl NOT currently here.