Clocking In Across America 1983 tour programme

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Clocking In Across America 1983 tour programme

Post by johnfoyle »

I've just got a copy of this for 99p via ebay. It's chock full of interesting text 'n photos. I'll be scanning 'n posting stuff from it over the the weekend. For the moment here a few images from it via my Facebook page.

Some of the photos are from the Punch The Clock back-of-cover session, so they were taken here in Dublin. The excitement of it!
bronxapostle

Re: Clocking In Across America 1983 tour programme

Post by bronxapostle »

why did you NOT have this sooner King Foyle? hard to beieve i have it 28 years before YOU!!! :D :D :D
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

The ugly sweater era? Reminds me of this particularly bad looking one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH1HcMcu7u8
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hard to believe I was keeping pace with BA back in the 80s but I think I got mine in 1984 from a trader in the US may have been Favehour or Tony S !! Fancy Mr Foyle being so out of touch!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

how the heck is Tony S. and CAL???? was thinking of them just recently! shame they stopped going it seems. two good guys!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Tony and Cal are both fine, they were at the Beacon in May, they still are always at the NYC shows.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

YEH? good to hear, sorry i missed them. must re-connect. thanks Dave! they were the guys who supplied me with my first 23 shows before i started taping. neither partake here, correct FaveDave?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Not sure I know who Cal is but Tony and FaveDave supplied me with nearly all my recordings of US shows from 70s to noughties before dime - always be extremely grateful to them :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some of the images from this -

This photo seems to be on a train -

Elvis 'n co. are wearing the same gear as this photo that was on the back of the sleeve of Punch The Clock -

It was taken in St Stephens Green, Dublin on June 4th 1983. It would seem the photographer, Nick Knight, came down to Dublin with the musicians from the show in Belfast the night before. Other photos from the same location appear in miniature in the booklet with the 1995 Demon/Rycko re-issue on PTC -

Before or after being snapped in the 'Green, the visitors went to get some cake in, most likely, Bewleys on Grafton Street -

Steve posed at this statue in courtyard at the adjacent Clarendon Street entrance to St Teresa's Church

The credits at the start of the programme feature a few in-jokes -

Across the booklet we get Elvis' 1983 perspective on his career-

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:Not sure I know who Cal is but Tony and FaveDave supplied me with nearly all my recordings of US shows from 70s to noughties before dime - always be extremely grateful to them :D
and what??? did they AIR MAIL you like 1300 cassettes at one time??? no wonder your great affinity for ANALOG! :D :D :D
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Thank you Mr Foyle for sharing this material- that was a special tour as discussed appropriately on another thread. It is all tied up for me with a special time in my life as I was getting to know my wife so it is hard to separate the two in my memory, the two are so entwined for me within the past. I really loved the shows of that time- they had a quirky pop energy that one could not ignore- though unfortunately many did- come to think of it- EC never had a better chance than that time to cross over to a larger fandom- the ring was missed and as a fan I have little regret for that fact[hope EC does as well]. Besides, that missed opportunity has made for some interesting music over the last three decades.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

spot on Chris...it was the first time i went to FIVE shows on any EC tour and so VERY glad i did. i began the tour in ALLENTOWN on the first night and was pleasantly surprised at the ease with which the horns were incorporated. i followed it up with all 3 NYC area appearance (two at the Pier and Jones Beach) including an hour plus soundcheck and a shorter one both nights at The Pier! so, i had to do one more and took the trek to Asbury Park on August 14th. in a mere twelve days, i caught five and was jonesing for more by the early September Austin radio broadcast. stellar song selections including FROM HEAD TO TOE, POSSESSION, CHARM SCHOOL, the first EC instrumental RIFF RIFF RIFF, BACK STABBERS, STAND DOWN MARGARET, THE BELLS and loads more surprises (including EC on bass and Bruce on guitar at the long soundcheck) made for a great 1983 and i never look down at PUNCH THE CLOCK because of the stelllar CLOCKING IN ACROSS AMERICA tour!! GREATNESS!!!
Jack of All Parades

Yes, BA, that could well be my favorite tour over the years- it was just plain fun!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Yes, BA, that could well be my favorite tour over the years- it was just plain fun!
Was not too fond of the TKO Horns and Afrodiziak. I like my EC straight up. Of course, I like my coffee black and I don't even like ice in my whiskey. So that may explain things.
Jack of All Parades

SFH- that explains it........ for i do like 'rocks' in my Jamison and milk in my coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both were added for me in that tour.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sounds to me like SOUL did NOT see the tour!!!! it was terrific!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

It may all sound a bit contrived in retrospect -- but, yeah, that tour was a real kick-in-the-ass at the time.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

bronxapostle wrote:sounds to me like SOUL did NOT see the tour!!!! it was terrific!
True. I have seen the Rockpalast video numerous times though, and for the longest time, that was the only Costello video that I had. I think one of the things that also got to me about the show was the PTC material. I just don't like any of those songs (I like EDIWTB, but I don't like the arrangement that he used on that tour). However, I must admit that I that era's Beyond Belief and Get Happy performances, but I like those performances in any era.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

BA said
and what??? did they AIR MAIL you like 1300 cassettes at one time??? no wonder your great affinity for ANALOG!
Obviously not all at once - my trading with Dave and Tony started around the early eighties and back then there were plenty of UK and European shows to trade for the (always slightly better quality) US shows. At one stage,early on, I was only going to collect UK shows but as trading became more extensive with more contacts, I just kept going ! I never saw the TKO Horns, I'd started work in the far west of Cornwall and the nearest EC came to us was at Bristol about 160 miles away - one of my big regrets regarding watching EC. He'd played the mighty Cornwall Coliseum in 1981 and 1982 and I'd caught him for my second time at Exeter University in 1981. You should hear my incomplete recording of the Exeter show, BA just to cast doubts on the quality of analogue, recorded with a cassette recorder the size of a small South American republic, and with the volume turned up (by mistake) to give maximum rumble and distortion !
blureu

Post by blureu »

Thanks Doc. You're the best!