"All Things Must Pass" remembered after forty years.

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

"All Things Must Pass" remembered after forty years.

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I do not spend the bulk of my time in the past musically but there are certain albums that keep a consistent pull on me. This is one of them. Forty years now and it still is played on my turn table. In truth, I think it is my favorite of the ex-Beatle solo albums. Not because it sounds the best[that Spector wall of sound can be hard to take] or that it is chock full of excellent songs[even though it is] but because it has the most 'heart' for me. When I put this record on I am always made aware of a man and his reaction to the world around him. The themes of love, death, fame, how do I live my life? still speak to me in a manner that is always refreshing and without rancor. Though I love many things about Lennon and will always hold him in the highest regard, this is the album that I consistently return to from that time.

Why? Let me count the ways. One, the beautiful slide guitar work that Harrison had perfected and which permeates the record. It is even more appreciated by me when coupled with the supportive guitar from Eric Clapton and the musicality of the members from the Delaney & Bonnie band. Two, the gorgeous love song, "I'd Have You Anytime", cowritten with Dylan, which coupled with his version of Dylan's "If Not for You" makes for a great tandem, it is certainly one of my favorite Dylan covers. Three, the exquisite ballads "Beware of Darkness", "All Things Must Pass", "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp' and "Behind That Locked Door"-some of George's best writing and never stale. Fourth, a sacred tone, that is not cheesey but seemingly heartfelt and meaningful for him in a personal manner. I never feel that Harrison is preaching at me in songs like "My Sweet Lord", "Awaiting on You All" and "What is Life". He makes quiet statements for himself and simply lets them be examples for others if they should choose to explore.

I still cannot spend much time with the extended jams that make up the third record but that is okay. There are two albums that continue to give me pleasure and which speak to me still over these years of how to conduct myself as a man amongst men. It remains a wonderful life affirming record for me.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
terryhurley

Re: "All Things Must Pass" remembered after forty years.

Post by terryhurley »

I like your comments, friend.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I adore the songs and performances on their record. The production makes it close to unlistenable. Phil Spector should have been locked up for what he did to this and LET IT BE. Nutter.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Jeremy - I concur - the production is very big. The "naked" Let It Be and the (slightly) stripped version of ATMP issued in 2001 are must more ear-friendly!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Had he been locked away he never would have murdered that poor woman!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'