Happy America Day!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Happy America Day!

Post by BlueChair »

I've got two sets of American relatives coming to Canada for their July 4th this year (Red's parents and an Aunt and Uncle of mine), in anticipation of my sister's wedding on Sunday.

Americans still have a lot to be proud of... a beacon of the arts, science, and so many other things... and hopefully come November there will be even more to be proud of. Hats off to the 85% or so of the Elvis forum that hold U.S. citizenship, from sea to shining sea. Happy July 4th!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Happy America Day!

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:I've got two sets of American relatives coming to Canada for their July 4th this year (Red's parents and an Aunt and Uncle of mine), in anticipation of my sister's wedding on Sunday.

Americans still have a lot to be proud of... a beacon of the arts, science, and so many other things... and hopefully come November there will be even more to be proud of. Hats off to the 85% or so of the Elvis forum that hold U.S. citizenship, from sea to shining sea. Happy July 4th!
Thanks Blue. Hopefully the weather will brighten up a bit. I need to nip off to the store for some stuff, then it will be grillin' and chillin'.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Happy July 4th to our American friends. I am with you not only in spirit but also in body and about to head off for an evening of fun on Miami Beach with fireworks and all. Handy combining a work trp with this, though we had to work hard all day to win this reward. Mojitos, cerveza and daiquiris, here I come!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Damn Proud to be an American. This day, and everyday. The global philanthropy of the USA far exceeds the negativism and revisionists view that we should be ashamed as a country. While I love that I can disagree vehemently with government and not be decapitated, and I recognize the mistakes of the country, in balance, this is a great place to live, work, and love.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Cheers, to Mr. Avg's post. Can't think of a better place to live and raise a family. God bless America!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Oh my god, we had these dry-rub ribs yesterday and they were just out of this world good. They have a bit of a kick, but man are they tasty. Also four different varieties of sausage and lovely cooling orzo salad with cucumbers, fennel and green beans on the side. In any case, give this recipe a try - you won't regret it. We let the dry rub sit for a good 15 hours before we put them on the grill. The indirect heat is important as well, or you are going to get flame-ups and burned ribs.

Memphis Dry Rub Ribs

Method: Indirect Grilling
Serves 4

* 2 racks baby back ribs (4 to 5 pounds)

For the rub

* 2 tablespoons paprika
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
* 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For the mop sauce (optional)

* 2 cups distilled white vinegar
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
* 1 tablespoon salt

* 2 cups hickory chips or chunks, soaked in cold water

1. Wash the ribs and blot dry. Remove the thin papery skin on the back of each rack of ribs. (Pull it off in a sheet with your fingers, using a corner of a dish towel to gain a secure grip.)

2. Combine the ingredients for the rub (the paprika, black pepper, sugar, salt, celery salt, cayenne, garlic powder, mustard, and cumin) in mixing bowl and stir with your fingers to mix. Rub 2/3 of this mixture on the ribs on both sides. Transfer the ribs to a roasting pan and let marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium (about 350 degrees). Place a drip pan in the center. If using a gas grill, place all the chips in the smoker box or smoker pouch and preheat the grill to high. When smoke appears, lower the heat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, toss the wood chips on the coals.

4. Place the ribs on the grill over the drip pan and cover the grill. Cook the ribs until cooked, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Start basting with mop sauce after 30 minutes, basting every 20 minutes. If using a charcoal grill, replenish the coals after 1 hour. The ribs are done when the meat is very tender and it has shrunk back from the ends of the bones.

5. Transfer the ribs to a cutting board or platter. Mop one final time with mop sauce and sprinkle with the remaining rub.

6. Eat!
Otis Westinghouse

Gimme! Wish I'd had that last night. We were walking down the boardwalk toward Ocean Drive when the heavens opened. The nearest place for shelter happened to be the same place we'd spent the last two evenings in, the Shore Club, where we'd eaten at Italian place Ago, and the truly memorable Nobu. Fabulous Japanese fusion with amazing tempura, black cod with miso glaze, wafer thin yellowfin tuna sashimi with jalapeno, etc. Was beginng to get a bit boring going tp the same place again, but it turned out to be unforgettable, drinking Dominican Presidente beer sprawled on seats that were really beds in open tents that let in some of the tropical rain, washing rain ound into the swimming pool and lightning fill the sky. Then Miami Beach fireworks, good but not quite as amazing as I'd kinda hoped (this is America - everything's meant to be bigger and better here!), then to this Gloria Estefan owned joint Cardozo on Ocean Drive. Ordered a Key Lime Martini that had something called 'half and half' in which meant nothing to me, but turned out to be half milk, half cream, thereby ruining my enjoyment of the drink. Should have sent it back pleading ignorance and lactose intolerance. Further disappointment in an otherwise good Cuban dish of something like 'rub pork loin' where the meat was dry, thick and hard to eat. I want your ribs!

The last two nights we've drunk in a bar near our hotel which is quite amazing. To me it sums up a lot about your country. It's probably the nearest I've been in to a Tom Waits song bar. He could get some great verses about the characters there. All human life seems to be there, all a bit downmarket and seedy, but really nice, friendly and rather odd people. Sadly the barmaid is clearly off her head on something. and drug scoring seems to be happening, but it's not heavy in any way. It's got a Christmas tree and other decos up (ironic 'Christmas in July' concept?), and the first night a quite astonishing pneumatic (in the horribel silicone way that has ruined the collectgive mammaries of Miami!) 20ish Latina was dancing around eyeing herself in the mirror, hitching up her miniscule dress at one point to reveal her thong and cheeks entirely, which she waggled away at all, and then she gets up tables every now and then. She's with a guy who seems like a geeky computer programmer (no offence intended) and at one point when she gets on the table with her crotch at his face height, it momentarily looks like the weirdest live sex show is about to kick off. Fortunately it didn't. There was a Wall St lawyer drinking solo there saying it was his choice of bar to get away from it all. God bless America, etc.

Today the Everglades and Coconut Grove and a lovely Mexican mole. I'm really falling for a lot of aspects of Miami, described by someone to me as the capital of Latin America. The minute you get to the airport you feel like you're not quite in the US ('Something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore').

Back to the ribs, I wonder what your dry mustard is like. French style? English, like our very piquant and wonderful Coleman's? I've given up on ground cumin - hugely better is toasting a few seeds and grinding. I'm gonna give your rib recipe a go soon, I promise. Sounds wonderful.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Back to the ribs, I wonder what your dry mustard is like. French style? English, like our very piquant and wonderful Coleman's? I've given up on ground cumin - hugely better is toasting a few seeds and grinding. I'm gonna give your rib recipe a go soon, I promise. Sounds wonderful.
It's Colman's actually. For the mop sauce we used Grey Poupon. It's actually more of a liquid than a sauce. I'm not sure that for something like this you would be able to tell the difference between ground cumin and seeds, but if I have the patience I'll see if it makes a difference.

Miami sounds interesting. I've never been there. Fort Lauderdale is as close as I've been. Fireworks can be a bit hit and miss, but I am glad you made it over for the 4th. It's a fun time of year to be here in the States. I didn't know they had a Nobu in Miami. I've been to his place here in New York and it was a very memorable experience.

Had the neighbors over today for some nice white Rueda from Spain (wonderful citrus-y flavors), hors d'ouevres, and good conversation on the porch. The kids played in the yard and then we watched the second Indiana Jones film on DVD. Everyone's bushed.
Otis Westinghouse

I am convinced that freshly ground cumin is a whole step up from pre-ground. I've been making great chilli just using this + fresh chilli. You can add other things, sure, but get these two right and you're made.

Had a meal to match or even beat Nobu. Grillfish, Collins Avenue. There's one in Washington DC too. From the pineapple martini through the ginger and chilli calamari to the mahi mahi (never heard of this before but it was superb fish) and on to a mango key lime pie, it was sensational and not especially expensive. Nice Friuli region pinot grigio, Mount Gay rum and top espresso too. I love the quality of things you can get at a decent price, and the Brazilian waiter (8 years service in the same place) was second to none. Miami is way more interesting than I'd really expected. The weird bar was deserted, so not there three nights running. Must come back with family in tow before long.