Leonard Cohen tour!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

Leonard Cohen tour!!!

Post by johnfoyle »

This was posted at:

http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewto ... 31#p102109

--- The following advance notice is posted with Leonard's
permission.Leonard Cohen will be touring with his band in Canada and US in May and
in Europe in the summer. More details will be announced in February.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Leonard Cohen tour!!!

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow! Will have to make plans for that.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

He is still in remarkably good form. I still think about how lucky I was to see him perform a few songs at a book signing a few years ago. I will definitely be on board for this one, assuming I can get tickets (Leonard is hugely popular here)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Fantastic. I'm anxious to see the venues and dates. I knocked Tom Waits off my list of People I'll Probably Never Get to See Play Live in 2006; maybe Leonard is next.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

From Pitchfork:

Leonard Cohen to Play Glastonbury
Hot Chip, British Sea Power, the Verve, Kings of Leon added to the lineup as well
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... lastonbury

The Verve, Kings of Leon, Hot Chip, British Sea Power... festival favorites, all. And, heck, if Jay-Z wants in on something, you should never, ever say no. But even though we knew Leonard Cohen would be touring this year, we're a little surprised to hear that the legendarily reclusive singer-songwriter's first announced gig is an appearance at England's rather gigantic Glastonbury Festival. Surprised, and way more jealous of all Glastonbury attendees than we were before.

Yes, according to the BBC, Leonard Cohen will join the aforementioned lot-- and Neil Diamond!-- in pummeling the hills at Glastonbury June 27-29. No word on just where Cohen's set will fall in the festival's lineup, though the idea of Leonard Cohen warming up the crowd for Friday night headliners Kings of Leon is a pretty depressing one. "California Waiting", you are no "Famous Blue Raincoat".

No word yet on the album he's apparently working on, and Glastonbury remains the only date at the moment. He'll make a stop at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame March 10 to pick up some award or something.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Word has it that Leonard will be announcing the tour dates and details on March 11.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Leonard Cohen announces world tour
Written by Presswire.com
Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Immediately following his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, Leonard Cohen announced his world tour...
Marking a return to the live arena after 15 years, he is scheduled to open in Toronto on June 6 and 7, the city that gave birth to his career as a recording and literary artist, and then play Europe in the remainder of June, July, August and early September.

Cohen is arguably the greatest singer songwriter of modern times. At his induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, he as recognized by Lou Reed as without question one of the most important and influential songwriters of our time, a figure whose body of work achieves greater mystery and depth as time goes one. Among those inducted with Cohen were: Madonna, John Mellencamp The Dave Clark Five, and the Ventures.

A celebrated and much lauded singer/songwriter he first emerged as a major and influential talent in the early 60's. Albums like Songs Of Leonard Cohen (1967), Songs Of Love And Hate (1970) and Im Your Man (1990), right up to 1992s The Future, 2001s Ten New Songs and 2004s Dear Heather are rightly considered classics. Uniquely for a revered musician, Cohens literary plaudits rival those for his music.

His songs have been famously covered by the great and the good, each version a fascinating attempt to move closer to Cohens enigmatic muse. From Judy Collins Suzanne to Jeff Buckleys seminal rendition of Hallelujah, Cohens songs have traveled as far and wide as their author. U2, REM, Sting, Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright and the late Johnny Cash are among other famous devotees. It is estimated that his songbook has been covered over 1,330 times by other recording artists.

In 2008, Cohens live tour will be as varied as his influence. He plays the UKs legendary Glastonbury Festival on June 29, for 150,000 fans. The Montreux Jazz Festival and Spains Bennicasim are also stand out dates among arena shows at the O2 in London and more intimate dates such as Torontos Sony Centre and the Manchesters Opera House in the UK. Rob Hallett from AEG Live said, For many this tour will be the once in a lifetime opportunity to see the legend that is Leonard Cohen. We as a company are honored to bring this long rumored tour to reality across the globe.

In all, the tour will take in fans, from intimate theatres to rock festivals proving the remarkable reach of Cohens words and music across nations and generations. He will be joined by world renowned musicians: Roscoe Beck (bass & vocals, music director) Neil Larsen (keyboard, accordion, brass instruments), Bob Metzger (guitar, steel guitar & vocals), Javier Mas (acoustic guitar, oud & misc. string instruments), Christine Wu Violin, viola, cello & keyboard, Rafael Gayol (drums & percussion) and Dino Soldo (keyboard, saxophone, wind instruments & vocals).

Cohen has been a SONY/BMG recording artist for his entire career. He continues as an active songwriter with much anticipated new work that is planned for release later this year. Cohen is beyond comparison and a true original, providing some of music and literatures most illuminating writing on love, sex, death and religion.

This is a world tour of epic proportions, but it is something even more than that. Leonard Cohen's eagerly anticipated return to the stage after all these years is nothing short of musical history in the making.

AEG Live is promoting the tour worldwide. Cohen is represented by Los Angeles attorney Robert Kory and Core Management Company.

Leonard Cohen's World Tour Itinerary (as of 10-Mar-08)

06-Jun-08 Toronto Sony Centre For The Performing Arts
07-Jun-08 Toronto Sony Centre For The Performing Arts
14-Jun-08 Dublin IMMA
17-Jun-08 Manchester Manchester International Festival, Opera House
18-Jun-08 Manchester Manchester International Festival, Opera House
19-Jun-08 Manchester Manchester International Festival, Opera House
20-Jun-08 Manchester Manchester International Festival, Opera House
23-Jun-08 Montreal Place des Arts
24-Jun-08 Montreal Place des Arts
25-Jun-08 Montreal Place des Arts
26-Jun-08 Montreal Place des Arts
29-Jun-08 Glastonbury Glastonbury Festival
01-Jul-08 Oslo Aliset Stadium
03-Jul-08 Helsingborg Open Air
05-Jul-08 Copenhagen Rosenborg Castle
06-Jul-08 Arhuus Raadhus Parken
08-Jul-08 Montreux Montreux Jazz Festival
09-Jul-08 Lyon Festival
10-Jul-08 Bruges Cactus
12-Jul-08 Amsterdam Westerdam
16-Jul-08 Edinburgh Castle
17-Jul-08 London The 02 Arena
19-Jul-08 Lisbon Passeio Maritimo
20-Jul-08 Bennicasim Festival
22-Jul-08 Nice Jazz Festival
25-Jul-08 Lorrach Stimmen De Welt
27-Jul-08 Lucca Summer Festival
29-Jul-08 Athens Lykabettus Theatre
03-Aug-08 Ledbury Big Chill
05-Aug-08 Istanbul Arena
06-Aug-08 Istanbul Arena
10-Aug-08 Prague Castle
12-Aug-08 Budapest Sziget
14-Aug-08 Girona Cap Roig
15-Aug-08 Girona Cap Roig
28-Aug-08 Vienna Opera House
29-Aug-08 Vienna Opera House
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Did they erase the USA from Leonard's world atlas? :?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think they're planning to add more dates later. I'm also surprised that he'll play Toronto, fly overseas, come back for Montreal, and fly overseas again. Seems like odd planning.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Did they erase the USA from Leonard's world atlas?
Why aren't the Dublin dates listed?

http://tinyurl.com/3d2cj6

Leonard Cohen
Royal Hospital Kilmainham , Dublin, IE
Sat 14 Jun 2008, 17:30

Onsale to General Public:
Fri 14/03/08, 09:00

There'll be a second date on Sun. June 15th ; wait for the usual old trick of 'announcing' it 'due to demand' etc. at about 9.30 on Friday morning. I'd prefer the second one ; all the technical problem will have been ironed out etc.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I listed it! Dublin comes right after Toronto.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I listed it! Dublin comes right after Toronto.
So sorry - I skipped to the July dates by accident !

First European dates in Dublin? Hmmm............that can be a mixed blessing. There was a time in the past where all the acts from America started here and gave shows that were just a step up from rehearsals. Given the calibre of Leonard's backing band hopefully that won't apply this time. All the same I'll be , probably, holding of for the second date.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, as thrilling as the concept is of seeing Leonard's first full concert since 1993 is, I may opt for the second Toronto date myself. Hopefully tickets are easier to come by than those for Neil Young's three Massey Hall shows, none of which I managed to get tickets for.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Looks like the Toronto shows won't kick off the tour after all. The following dates in Atlantic Canada have just been added:

May 11 - Fredericton, NB - Fredericton Playhouse - (ADT)
May 12 & 13 - Halifax, NS - Rebecca Cohn Auditorium - (ADT)
May 18 - Charlottetown, PE - Confederation Centre - (ADT)
May 20 - Glace Bay, NS - Savoy Theatre - (ADT)
May 23 - Moncton, NB - Capitol Theatre - (ADT)
May 26 - St. John’s, NL - Holy Heart Theatre - (NDT)
May 30 - Saguenay, QC - Auditorium Dufour - (ET)
June 2 - Kitchener, ON - Centre in the Square - (ET)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Both Dublin dates now sold out . I have a ticket for the Sat. show.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Last I checked there are even pre-sale tickets still available for the Toronto dates, though public on-sale is tomorrow morning. I've got my pair and look forward to comparing notes with you, John.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A third show has been added in Toronto, along with a show in Hamilton
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

sounds like we've got quite a treat in store for this tour
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A bit late , but Leonard in Dublin last weekend was a mixed blessing . He and his band were excellent but the circumstance of the show was awful. Open air, widely spaced seating blocks, drunk assholes talking all the way through it etc. .

Hopefully there will be another time in a more sympathetic environment.

This Cohen forum tells more -

http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewto ... &start=165
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That's such a shame, John. You'd think given the cost of tickets that people would want to pay attention. Luckily aside from a bloke a few spots over from me who was singing loudly and out of tune, the audience at the show I went to was pretty much hanging on every word. It was one of the best behaved audiences I've encountered since Costello/Nieve at Massey Hall several years ago.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

This Manchester review had me drooling:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/live/story/ ... 21,00.html
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A whole new slate of European/UK dates have just been announced. I'm still reeling from seeing him over a month ago. Go if you can! Rumour has it that many of these dates will be expanded into multiple nights.

http://www.nme.com/news/leonard-cohen/38227

Sept. 21 - Bucharest, Romania - Arcul De Trumpf
Sept. 24 - Vienna, Austria - Koncerthaus
Sept. 27 - Prague, Czech Republic - HC Sparta
Sept. 29 - Wroclaw, Poland - Hala Orbita
Oct. 1 - Warsaw, Poland - Torwar
Oct. 4 - Berlin, Germany - O2
Oct. 7 - Munich, Germany - Olmpiahalle
Oct. 10 - Helsinki, Finland - Ice Hall
Oct. 12 - Gothenberg, Sweden - Falconer
Oct. 15 - Stockholm, Sweden - Globen
Oct. 17 - Copenhagen, Denmark - Forum
Oct. 20 - Brussels, Belgium - Foret National
Oct. 23 - Milan, Italy - Teatro Degli Arcimboldi
Oct. 25 - Zurich, Switzerland - Hallenstadion
Oct. 27 - Geneva, Switzerland - Venue TBC
Oct. 29 - Frankfurt, Germany - Festhalle
Oct. 31 - Hamburg, Germany - Colorline Arena
Nov. 2 - Oberhausen, Germany - Arena
Nov. 3 - Rotterdam, The Netherlands - Ahoy
Nov. 5 - Glasgow, UK - Clyde
Nov. 8 - Cardiff, UK - Arena
Nov. 11 - Bournemouth, UK - Bic
Nov. 13 - London, UK - O2 Arena
Nov. 22 - Birmingham, UK - Nec
Nov. 24-26 - Paris, France - Olympia
Nov. 28 - Brighton, UK - Centre
Dec. 1- Dublin, Ireland - Point
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Just got home from the London show.
Amazing.
I was named after Suzanne, so it was pretty magical to finally hear it live.
Go see this tour if it comes near you. If it doesn't - fly to get there.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 79731.html

Katherine the great: Katherine Jenkins

Last week, it was announced that Katherine Jenkins had signed the most lucrative recording contract in the history of classical music.Not bad for a no-nonsense choir girl from Neath. John Walsh meets the $10m woman

Saturday, 1 November 2008

(extract)

Fans and foes alike have had much to chew on recently. At 28, she's just released her sixth studio album, Sacred Arias, a collection of familiar hymns and hymn-like songs, from "Abide With Me" to Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". The CD sleeve reveals Ms Jenkins at her most sexy-vestal-virgin, posing in frothy net or sleek satin gowns, posing saucily in a tight white frock behind an immaculate white curtain. Its release coincides with a raunchy photo-shoot in GQ magazine, in which Katherine's curvaceous frame is poured into some tight, black strapless numbers, and black suspenders clutch her thighs. Across the nation you can hear strong men groan at the madonna/whore conflict Ms Jenkins engenders in their hearts.

Her favourite track on the new album, she says, is Cohen's "Hallelujah". "I love that piece," she says. "It makes me cry." So why did she leave out the second verse? "Did we?" she asks. Yes you did, I say, the verse with the lines, "You saw her bathing on the roof ... She tied you to a kitchen chair / And broke your throne and cut your hair." Why edit that out? "Yes, well we did have to look at the lyrics," she says briskly, suddenly a frontier-town schoolmarm. "Because it's not strictly a religious song, is it? And we changed one line as well." The line in question is, "I remember when I moved in you," which has been altered to: "I remember when I moved with you." It seems a shame to take an image of sexual connection, and change it to read as though the singer was moving house to Croydon. "It's a beautiful song but it had to be adapted," she says firmly.