Top 5 Albums ... 1965

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Chrille

Top 5 Albums ... 1965

Post by Chrille »

Here's a new series of listing various favourite thingamajigs ;)

Pick your five favourite albums released in 1965!

I only own two albums (Dylan) released this year, but I'm certain most people here have a bigger catalogue and I'm interested in seeing what other albums released this year that would be worth getting.

Next week I will be asking for your Favourite 5 Albums released in 1966 ;)
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

It doesn't seem possible to do this in any organic way-- I'm too young to remember these records when they came out, but too old not to have felt their contemporary influence, so doing it in hindsight feels wrong-- but these selections from that year's Grammys cover the right range, anyway...

Best Vocal Performance, Male
Louis Armstrong: "Hello, Dolly!"

Best Recording for Children
Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Glynis Johns, David Tomlinson & Ed Wynn: Mary Poppins

Best Rock and Roll Recording[!!]
Petula Clark: "Downtown"

Best New Artist
The Beatles

Album of the Year
João Gilberto & Stan Getz: Getz/Gilberto

Mr. Zimmerman may have already been great, but he wasn't anywhere in my three-year-old life. I suppose the Beach Boys were, but Misses Petula Clark and Mary Poppins were more of a presence. To his credit, my then-40-yr-old Dad fell instantly in love with the Beatles, and had always played us loads of Satchmo. And The Girl From Impanena brings back memories of riding in the back of an un-airconditioned 1962 VW Beetle.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Instant rationale and justification for a "lists-free" annex. Nicely done.

But the Petula song "Downtown" was pure pop for now people at the time, and I love that sound. I was 8. In the era of Melanie (Brand New Key), and Dionne Warwick singing all Burts hits, this was a good time.

Shows how far off the Grammy's can be. Best new artist/group? One hit wonder.

What ever happened to the "Oh- Knee-ders".
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I might be missing your point Mr. A, but according to the index page the annex is for:

"This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests."

My feeling on annex threads is that anything someone wants to post, let 'em do it. If no one is interested, the thread dies a natural death. If people are interested, then evidently it was worth a thread. If someone doesn't want to read it or thinks it is irrelevent, great! No harm, no foul. I probably won't post anything to this list because of my age, but I would certainly post to a list of 5 best albums of 1977 or something like that. If I misinterpreted your comment, I apologize. Today, after all, was the last day of school before winter break and I'm loopy as hell.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I think he is/was being facetious, though it's hard to parse, exactly...

Anyway, I was not being facetious in the least, and Yes, and I still love Petula Clark, dammit.

I don't think Chrille's intent was that one had to be sentient in '65 to contribute their top 5 of that year. As an oldster I just jumped in in that context...
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

hahaha, you shouldna asked:

rubber soul
highway 61 revisited
animal tracks, the animals
september of my years--frank
maiden voyage--herbie

and though horrible, honorable mention for fun, beach boys' party
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

1. The Beatles - Rubber Soul
2. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
3. Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
4. The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Otis Redding - Otis Blue
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

part of what was fun about the beach boys' party record was that the lp came with a cover-sized sheet of alleged party photos that were different sizes and perforated inbetween and you could tear them apart and hang brian and mike and dennis on your bulletin board and stuff. when you're 8.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I may have taken a knock on the head, or sipped a little too much Christmas cheer, but I don't seem to be able to stay away from the list making this holiday season.

The Miracles - Going To A Go Go
The Impressions - People Get Ready
The Temptations - The Temptations Sing Smokey
Stevie Wonder - Up Tight
Otis Redding - The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads

Is that five already? No room for Sandi Shaw, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye or Vince Guaraldi and the Charlie Brown Christmas Album!
What a great year.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I was being facetious, just joking around...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Downtown is one of the songs that I first became aware of. It reminds me of my mum singing. Saw Petula on telly from early 50s the other day (in a fascinating Alan Yentob - of Cracked Actor doc fame - programme about the history of TV and the first live broadcasts). She was incredibly young and skinny.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more