Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

A trillion dollar bailout for Wall Street stupidity and lazy oversight.

We can find the money to help corporate fatcats get out of the muck and we can dig enough change out of the sofa cushions to support a hugely expensive war in Iraq, but when it comes to basics like healthcare for our own middle-class citizens we just can't seem to manage it. What's wrong with this picture?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Do Americans really spell 'annals' as 'anals'? :D :D :D Like, I know you guys got this thing against double letters, but that would just be absurd!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

That's how it's pronounced in the movie quoted, dude. So, that's why it's funny. :P

And I KNEW KNEW KNEW you would comment on that.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Well it's a pleasure to be soooooo predictably anal!
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:A trillion dollar bailout for Wall Street stupidity and lazy oversight.

We can find the money to help corporate fatcats get out of the muck and we can dig enough change out of the sofa cushions to support a hugely expensive war in Iraq, but when it comes to basics like healthcare for our own middle-class citizens we just can't seem to manage it. What's wrong with this picture?
Agreed. I don't understand it anymore. I guess our government is now little more than a surrogate Uncle Sugar-inthe-sky corporation, doling out relief when it matters most, when we're scared, financing it ourselves, put it on the plastic and worry about it later mentality. Sucks.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I'm no expert on the theatre, but I have just seen what I think is the best play ever. I just saw a professional Actors-Equity production of 'Death Of A Salesman'. I've only seen three other plays, but I find it hard to believe that there is a better play out there about the human condition and the fraility of the American Dream. There are similarities between King Lear and Willy Loman. There are similarities betweem Archie Bunker and Willy Loman and between Linda Loman and Edith Bunker.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
CostelLover

Post by CostelLover »

Why does that woman in the Progressive Auto Insurance commercials annoy me so much?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

The one with the big tricked-out name tag?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:The one with the big tricked-out name tag?
Her name is FLO, according to the name tag. Yes, annoying.

By the way, I met the original Flo, Polly Holliday, at a cocktail party (friend of a friend) and she's a sweetheart.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Kiss my grits.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Kiss my grits.

:D

I'm sure she's heard that a million times, so I tried to stay away from the one-liners.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Why is it that when the economy is in dire straits it's a global problem, but when it's doing well, it's never because the global economy is doing well, it's because of the Government's handling of the economy? :roll:

I feel sorry for the next elected government - talk about the mess it will inherit!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Why is it that when the economy is in dire straits it's a global problem, but when it's doing well, it's never because the global economy is doing well, it's because of the Government's handling of the economy? :roll:

I feel sorry for the next elected government - talk about the mess it will inherit!
No kidding. Half of me hopes that McCain wins, if only because I'd like to see the GOP sort out their own mess for once.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I finally got my new laptop! Woot!
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone get one of these scam e-mails that have been going around? :D
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

DEAR AMERICAN:
I NEED TO ASK YOU TO SUPPORT AN URGENT SECRET BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH A TRANSFER OF FUNDS OF GREAT MAGNITUDE.

I AM MINISTRY OF THE TREASURY OF THE REPUBLIC OF AMERICA. MY COUNTRY HAS HAD CRISIS THAT HAS CAUSED THE NEED FOR LARGE TRANSFER OF FUNDS OF 800 BILLION DOLLARS US. IF YOU WOULD ASSIST ME IN THIS TRANSFER, IT WOULD BE MOST PROFITABLE TO YOU.

I AM WORKING WITH MR. PHIL GRAMM, LOBBYIST FOR UBS, WHO WILL BE MY REPLACEMENT AS MINISTRY OF THE TREASURY IN JANUARY. AS A SENATOR, YOU MAY KNOW HIM AS THE LEADER OF THE AMERICAN BANKING DEREGULATION MOVEMENT IN THE 1990S. THIS TRANSACTION IS 100% SAFE.

THIS IS A MATTER OF GREAT URGENCY. WE NEED A BLANK CHECK. WE NEED THE FUNDS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. WE CANNOT DIRECTLY TRANSFER THESE FUNDS IN THE NAMES OF OUR CLOSE FRIENDS BECAUSE WE ARE CONSTANTLY UNDER SURVEILLANCE. MY FAMILY LAWYER ADVISED ME THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR A RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY PERSON WHO WILL ACT AS A NEXT OF KIN SO THE FUNDS CAN BE TRANSFERRED.

PLEASE REPLY WITH ALL OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, IRA AND COLLEGE FUND ACCOUNT NUMBERS AND THOSE OF YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN TO WALLSTREETBAILOUT@TREASURY.GOV SO THAT WE MAY TRANSFER YOUR COMMISSION FOR THIS TRANSACTION. AFTER I RECEIVE THAT INFORMATION, I WILL RESPOND WITH DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT SAFEGUARDS THAT WILL BE USED TO PROTECT THE FUNDS.

YOURS FAITHFULLY MINISTER OF TREASURY PAULSON
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Personally, I wouldn't swim in it anyway, but, with crocodiles? No.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/sep/2 ... artner=RSS
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

So, will Scarlett Johansson now travel on her Canadian passport?
It's getting mighty crowded out there in Vancouver.

Scarlett Johansson weds Ryan Reynolds near Vancouver
Otis Westinghouse

First thought: 'Lucky bastard!'
Second thought: 'Well that's one hell of an improvement on Alanis Morisette!'
Random thought: Lloyd Cole's wonderful lines: 'No longer young, no longer driven to distraction, not even by Scarlett Johansson'
CostelLover

Post by CostelLover »

Ever go to a concert with a friend, only to find out that she left the tickets on her kitchen counter, 53 miles away? :roll:
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I registered to vote, woo-hoo! My first election and I'm hella excited.

And, on a random note, I love Frasier. I love it even more now that I got my boyfriend hooked on it. All I want for my birthday/Xmas is the box set. Seriously, that's all I want.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Otis Westinghouse

CostelLover wrote:Ever go to a concert with a friend, only to find out that she left the tickets on her kitchen counter, 53 miles away? :roll:
No, but if it was a good concert, it would be an ex-friend! It's my fear, taking the train to London (55 miles away) and realising at the venue that I've forgotten the tickets. What was the show?

Happy voting, ST. I'm sure you'll vote the way the sane world wants you to vote!!! I love Frasier too,.
CostelLover

Post by CostelLover »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
CostelLover wrote:Ever go to a concert with a friend, only to find out that she left the tickets on her kitchen counter, 53 miles away? :roll:
No, but if it was a good concert, it would be an ex-friend! It's my fear, taking the train to London (55 miles away) and realising at the venue that I've forgotten the tickets. What was the show?
It was the Journey/Heart/Cheap Trick tour that rolled through here last week. I really only wanted to see Cheap Trick (who opened the show), as I'm not really a fan of the other two groups, but I have to say that Heart was excellent live. I still won't buy their CDs, and will continue to channel-surf if a song of theirs comes on the radio, but they do put on a fantastic show. Funny, because there's also groups that I love, but won't bother to see in concert...
verbal gymnastics

I always make sure I've got the tickets and money. And I keep checking my pocket to make sure that the tickets haven't managed to get out of my jeans pocket by themselves :roll:

When I meet up with my friends they invariably ask if I've got the tickets.

I have similar experiences when I go on holiday. Don't forget your passport!

Having made the bold statement in the first paragraph I bet I forget concert tickets next time :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

or maybe it will be because your brain is shrinking????

mysterious board lassitude now explained:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fit ... pstoryview
verbal gymnastics

Why have the random thoughts dried up?