Elvis-free record?

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Elvis-free record?

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Chrille, newly arrived here and not going to see Elvis in his/her home town of Gothenburg, hasn't listened to Elvis for 6 months. Is this a record? I'm up to about a month, and what's more I don't think I've played any Bowie in that time either (though this morning I was quite amazed to hear weirdo Andy MacNabb, of Bravo Two Zero fame, who used to kill Republican Irish Catholics for a living yet chose the Pogues' Irish recruitment song alongiside Bowie's immortal Sweet Thing as Desert Island Discs on the radio, and what's more the latter was the record he would have taken if only allowed one, and then Changes was on and my four year old son announced 'That's from Shrek!'). Well I've been away from home without any music of my own for two week's worth of that time, so it's maybe exceptional, and it appears from previous accounts that some people here can't spend a day without a dose, but what's the longest you have gone now or in the past?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
A rope leash

As I recall...

Post by A rope leash »

It was during the Great Elvis Drought of 1987.

All my recordings were stolen by criminals who did not yet know they were Elvis fans.

I migrated to Omaha from Los Angeles.

Elvis was not much on the radio. I had little money. I don't usually time myself. It might have been a year or so before I bought a CD player, and picked up Out of Our Idiot, thereby rediscovering my hero.

Probably no more than a week without Elvis since then...
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I had a week or two without Elvis in December, mainly as it's a busy month, but also because I'm not a big admirer of TDM.*

Having just started "Complicated Shadows", however, I think I will re-listen to all his albums again while reading about them.

* ducks to avoid tomatoes
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Chrille

Re: Elvis-free record?

Post by Chrille »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Chrille, newly arrived here and not going to see Elvis in his/her home town of Gothenburg, hasn't listened to Elvis for 6 months.
I guess it might have come out wrong, but what I was trying to say is that I only started listening to Elvis Costello about 6 months ago, so I have more than half of his releases to listen to :p. And missing the shows in Sweden is definetley not by choice :P.

I have listened to everything up to Goodbye Cruel World except Almost Blue. I also have Blood & Chocolate and Spike. The only album I'm not all too keen on is Spike, then again I havn't listened too it enough. I actually think Goodbye Cruel World is rather good contrary to what many people seem to think, it's better than Spike at least.

But what can I say? I'm a sucker for the synthesizers ;).
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sorry, misinterpreted you!
invisible Pole wrote:Having just started "Complicated Shadows", however, I think I will re-listen to all his albums again while reading about them.[/i]
That's what I planned to do, but ain't got there yet! Actually, I got as far as MAIT, and then I just read the book through. So will now revisit. The book was useful for me re some of the bonus CD tracks.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more