Elvis on Live Aid DVD/Andy Kershaw bio.

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis on Live Aid DVD/Andy Kershaw bio.

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?b=news&id=37464

DISC 1:

1. BBC News report including Michael Buerk’s report from Ethiopia
2. Band Aid ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ (video)
3. USA for Africa ‘We Are The World’ (video)
4. Status Quo ‘Rockin’ All Over the World’, ‘Caroline’
5. Style Council ‘Internationalists’, ‘Walls Come Tumbling Down’
6. Boomtown Rats ‘I Don’t Like Mondays’, ‘Drag Me Down’
7. Adam Ant ‘Vive Le Rock’
8. Ultravox ‘Dancing With Tears In My Eyes’, ‘Vienna’
9. Spandau Ballet ‘Only When you Leave’, ‘True’
10. Elvis Costello ‘All You Need Is Love’
11. Nik Kershaw ‘Wouldn’t It Be Good’
12. Sade ‘Your Love Is King’
13. Sting ‘Roxanne’
14. Phil Collins ‘Against All Odds’
15. Sting & Phil Collins ‘Every Breath You Take’
16. Howard Jones ‘Hide and Seek’
17. Bryan Ferry ‘Slave to Love’, ‘Jealous Guy’
18. Paul Young ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ (acappella version), ‘Come Back and Stay’
19. Paul Young & Alison Moyet ‘That’s the Way Love Is’
20. Paul Young ‘Every Time You Go Away’
21. Bryan Adams ‘Kids Wanna Rock’, ‘Summer of 69’
22. U2 ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’, ‘Bad’

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 96-4644650

Live Aid

Release date: November 1, 2004.

• PAL
• ASIN: B0002UUO9K
• Catalogue Number: 2564618952
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Wow, that's quite a little time capsule, innit.
John

Post by John »

I remember Andy Kershaw (English radio/tv presenter) getting very excited as Elvis made everyone wait. Who was he going to play with? What was he going to sing? No one could have predicted a solo performance of that "northern English folk song". How unfair he only sang one song when everyone else seemed to do a few.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I remember being disappointed at the time, but 20 years later I think EC's choice of this single song was one of the few, if not the only, touches of class during the whole day.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Good call, stormwarning. A fine performance that really stands out in retrospect. Too bad Phil Collins got most of the attention.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis on Live Aid DVD

Post by johnfoyle »

'Four Eyes , One Vision' was Andy Kershaw's epic intro to Elvis in the tv coverage of Live Aid , a line that survived on many a bootleg tape of the song. Sadly Andy has hit hard times -

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/legal/ ... 342175.ece

BBC presenter jailed for three months after breaking court order

By Amol Rajan
Published: 16 January 2008

The BBC radio presenter Andy Kershaw was jailed yesterday for three months after admitting breaking a restraining order involving the mother of his two children for the second time.

Kershaw, 48, had pleaded guilty to the offence at the High Bailiff's Court in Douglas, Isle of Man, at an earlier hearing. The court was told that, in November, he breached the restraining order preventing him from contacting or approaching his former partner, Juliette Banner.

Passing sentence yesterday, the High Bailiff, Michael Moyle, told Kershaw that his life was turning into a Greek tragedy. "You seem hell-bent on destroying yourself and you do not seem to appreciate that the author of your destruction is yourself," he said.

"I regret that I feel I have no obligation other than to impose custody." He said Ms Banner and her new partner, Jim Imrie, a prison officer from Glasgow, were, "entitled to be protected from your unlawful activities".

Ms Banner described the Radio 3 DJ as "menacing and provocative" when he approached her and Mr Imrie near their home in Peel on 2 November last year. Kershaw, originally from Rochdale, was described as "hyper" as he walked up to the couple, glared at them, then circled them and walked in front of them backwards.

He confessed to sending threatening, abusive text messages aimed at Ms Banner, Mr Imrie, and Ms Banner's children, Dolly, eight, and Sonny, 10. He also admitted being drunk and disorderly outside Peel police station on 7 November.

Kershaw moved from London to the Isle of Man with Ms Banner, his partner of 17 years, in 2006. A restraining order was imposed last August after a dispute over their children. Ms Banner moved out of their family home, a nine-bedroom Victorian villa on Peel seafront, taking the children with her to a small terraced house 150 yards away. Two months later Kershaw was spared jail after admitting breaching the order, as well as drink-driving.

He then appeared in court again in November, charged with breaching the restraining order for the second time. At a hearing in December, High Bailiff Moyle warned him that prison was a "real possibility" and to "have your bags packed".

The case concludes a remarkable fall from grace for the DJ, who is best-known for championing world music.

Originally from Rochdale, in Greater Manchester, Kershaw studied politics at Leeds University and got his first job in broadcasting at Radio Aire in Leeds.

In 1984, at the age of 24, he moved to London and found work as driver and roadie for the singer/songwriter Billy Bragg. The following year, the BBC gave him his own show on Radio 1, and he went on to win several Sony Awards. He moved to Radio 3 in 2001 and won a Sony gold award for his report on the Festival of the Desert in Mali in 2004. He also reported from Rwanda during the genocide in 1994, and made a film for Channel 4 from North Korea, the first by a foreigner.

High Bailiff Moyle told Kershaw yesterday that the restraining order against him would remain in place.

Nigel Cordwell, Kershaw's lawyer, said the former DJ would accept the decision to imprison him "stoically". He said Kershaw was trying to tackle his alcoholism, and had abstained for some time. "It is devastating to Mr Kershaw that he finds himself in this humiliating situation," Mr Cordwell said.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Continuing the Andy Kershaw related aspect of this , I'm reading his autobiography, published this summer. Elvis has popped up a few times in the narrative in the first 194 pages I've just read in one sitting - it's that compulsive. Besides telling his own story , Andy has a go at a lot of sacred cows, Geldof, Michael Stipe etc., making this a fascinating read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Off-Switch-A ... 862&sr=8-1
Top balcony

Re: Elvis on Live Aid DVD/Andy Kershaw bio.

Post by Top balcony »

johnfoyle wrote:Continuing the Andy Kershaw .. , I'm reading his autobiography, I've just read in one sitting

Another one on my Christmas list.

Andy ( the true heir to John Peel's throne) used to be a big Elvis fan. I remember he did an extensive review of the "Two and a Half " boxed set for a music mag. He referenced being the Leeds Uni's booking agent and failed his exams as he was too busy attending to the needs of Elvis and the Attractions as they prepared for their gig in the famous Refrectory.If I can find this piece I'll try to post it here.

He seemed to fall out of love over the years as he moaned on air about failing to receive free CDs to review. The divorce came when he wasn't sent tickets to attend the taping of "Case for Song", despite the fact that two of the outakes were to be broadcast on his radio show as "exclusive extras"

Glad he's on his way back from his troubles

Colin Top Balcony
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Andy used to wear a 'goodbye cruel world' t-shirt when he was presenting OGWT.
edney

Post by edney »

[quote="Top balcony"]

Andy ( the true heir to John Peel's throne) used to be a big Elvis fan.

Colin Top Balcony[/quote]

I've read his biography and like John it didn't take me that long as it's a cracking read. By the way, Andy has not fallen out of love with all things Elvis as he refers to him in the book as either "England's Greatest Living Songwriter" or "The Greatest Living Songwriter" I can't remember which.