Ryman Gig Tonight!!

Pretty self-explanatory
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Ryman Gig Tonight!!

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, just a few hours until showtime. DrS and I will be leaving Huntsville soon. Hopefully everything will work out for Moody and LTZ to meet us for dinner. Unfortunately Cosmos won't be able to make it tonight.

Anyone got any ideas or guesses on what he might sing tonight? With this combination of him and Steve and the Brodskys, I'm just not sure.

But I hope he plays at least one song from KOA. 8)

Someone pinch me!!!!!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the setlists from the other shows look pretty darn good. I am hoping to hear all the rage and brilliant mistake and everything else is gravy.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

don't forget to post the set list!!!

wanna see what might be in store for friday in boston.

:)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Be sure to let us know what the Brodsky role in the concert is.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

And be sure to let us know if his feet are as big as POP says they are, or if it's just those loooooong pointy shoes he's taken to wearin'.

Fingers crossed for lots of KOA for you, darlin'. (I love KOA, btw.)
migdd

Post by migdd »

Have fun, Spooky! I predict another epiphony for ya!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Have a good time Spooky and DrS...and all others going....

I predict and hope that Sleep of the Just will be sung!
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

I hope you have a great time, Spooky and DrS. May the delightful sounds of KOA ring through thr Ryman!! :)
...even in a perfect world, where everyone was equal..
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I hope she doesn't faint. Can you all just feel the excitement?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sneak Preview of tonight's setlist (as prepared by Spooky :D )

Brilliant Mistake
Lovable
Our Little Angel
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (w/ Brodsky Quartet)
Glitter Gulch
Indoor Fireworks
Little Palaces
I'll Wear It Proudly
American Without Tears (w/ Brodsky Quartet)
Eisenhower Blues
Poisoned Rose
The Big Light (w/ Brodsky Quartet)
Jack Of All Parades
Suit Of Lights
Sleep Of the Just

Encore:

The People's Limousine (w/ Brodsky Quartet)
They'll Never Take Her Love From Me (w/ Brodsky Quartet)
Suffering Face (w/ Brodsky Quartet)
Shoes Without Heels (w/ Brodsky Quartet)
King Of Confidence (w/ Brodsky Quartet)

Encore #2:

That's How You Got Killed Before
It Tears Me Up
The Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line (w/ Brodsky Quartet)
Your Mind Is On Vacation/Your Funeral And My Trial
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, Blue, not quite a complete KOA setlist. But what a happy camper I am. Except for the camera nazis who caught me snapping pics - right in the middle of Brilliant Mistake - and threatened to take away my camera. Other than that, a fantastic night.

It's almost 2:00 am and I just got back home. I must decipher my own setlist, but I think I counted 31 songs! I'm not going to get much sleep tonight since I have to take kids to school in the morning, so the setlist should be up in 4 or 5 more hours.

Just an amazing night. He loves the Ryman and we all loved him. Got to meet LTZ, saw Moody again, and got my pic made with Elvis!!!!! Got him to sign KOA!!!! Met Jacqueline from the Brodskys and she signed my TJL. And that art project that my daughter did on Little Palaces a few months ago - I took it and Elvis stood and looked at it for a while. He even told me thanks for sharing it with him and that it was really special. He asked for Jessica's name and wrote a personal note to her - she's going to flip when she sees it in the morning!!

I still have so much more to say, but I've got to grab a couple hours of sleep!!!! Cheers to my kids for being so good while I was gone - going to bed on time and everything. Great kids.

Thanks for all the well wishes from you guys. I love this board - you guys are the best.

Setlist in a few hours - I promise. :)
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Spooky~
I am so excited for you! I'm so glad you had such a great time at the show. It looks like it was a pretty unique setlist. It's so exciting!!! I've been living off of everyone elses enthusiasum and excitement in anticipation of each show.
And WOW!! Not only did you meet the man but seemed to have had several meaningful exchanges with him! How cool is that? (I'm so jealous!)
I don't know if you spoke of it before, but I'd imagine that your daughter WOULD flip having had Elvis give her project a look. I don't know what it was about (but Little Palaces is a fav of mine).
It's all so incredible! Glad you and your hubby had a great time too.
Looking forward to seeing your pics too.

:D :D :D :D :D
I'm not angry anymore....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wow...Spooky it sounds like you had Elvis overload beyond your wildest dreams....am chuffed for you! Have a good night's sleep, if you can get some after all that adrenaline!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/040224.php

-2004-02-24: Nashville, Ryman
Elvis Costello with Steve Nieve & the Brodsky Quartet
- Eric Stroud

Brilliant Mistake
Home Truth
No Wonder
Shot With His Own Gun
This House Is Empty Now
Pills And Soap - w. Brodsky Quartet
You Left Me In The Dark - w. Brodsky Quartet
Someone Took The Words Away - w. Brodsky Quartet
Rocking Horse Road - w. Brodsky Quartet
Real Emotional Girl - w. Brodsky Quartet
You Turned To Me - w. Brodsky Quartet
Fallen - w. Brodsky Quartet
God's Comic
Sleep Of The Just - ???
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

Encore 1
Either Side Of The Same Town
When It Sings
Good Year For The Roses
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got A Hold On Me

Encore 2
When Green Eyes Turn Blue - w. Brodsky Quartet
Still - w. Brodsky Quartet
Can You Be True? - w. Brodsky Quartet
My Mood Swings - w. Brodsky Quartet
The Birds Will Still Be Singing - w. Brodsky Quartet
Almost Blue - w. Brodsky Quartet

Encore 3
I'm In The Mood Again - w. Brodsky Quartet, Elvis on piano at end
I Still Miss Someone - Elvis solo on piano
The Scarlet Tide - Elvis solo on ukelele
Pump It Up
Dark End Of The Street

http://www.elviscostello.info/pic/memor ... hville.jpg
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sounds like an amazing show!

Great story, spooky.... it sounds like your first Elvis experience was a very memorable one.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I do have a couple of revisions to that setlist. I don't know who posted that on the elviscostello.info site, but he definitely did NOT play Sleep of the Just though - I would have remembered that. You guys know I would have detected another KOA song. Was on the 4th row - would have seen it AND heard it.

I've been up for the past hour typing my setlist, and it's basically the same, except for the Sleep of the Just, and a reverse order of a couple of the last encores. But I'm going to post mine anyhow.

Brilliant Mistake
Home Truth
No Wonder
Shot With His Own Gun
This House is Empty Now

(Enter Brodskys)
Pills & Soap
You Left Me in the Dark
Someone Took the Words Away (Steve was amazing on this)

(Just Elvis & The Brodskys)
Rocking Horse Road
Real Emotional Girl (Randy Newman song)
You Turned To Me
Fallen
(Brodskys exit stage)

God's Comic
Peace, Love & Understanding

Encore 1
Either Side of the Same Town
When It Sings
Good Year for the Roses
Heart Shaped Bruise
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got a Hold On Me

Encore 2
(Brodskys Re-enter Stage)
When Green Eyes Turn Blue
Still
Can You Be True?
My Mood Swings
The Birds Are Still Singing
Almost Blue

Encore 3
I Still Miss Someone
I'm in the Mood Again
Scarlett Tide (Elvis on Ukelele)
Pump It Up
The Dark End of the Street

Steve was wonderful, as expected, and the Brodskys exceeded even my already high opinion of them. They were just fabulous. Don't ever let it be said that a string quartet can't jam. I don't know why I didn't think to use the camera when I was talking to Jacqueline. I was just so excited that I caught her before she left.

Me and DrS with The Man (you'd think black leather jackets were required)

And some shots of The Professor

I'm going to write more notes later - I'm getting four kids ready for school on about 2-1/2 hours sleep! :? This was just an incredible show.
Last edited by spooky girlfriend on Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pov

Post by Pov »

Wow, I am getting really psyched for tomorrow night at the Beacon!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

This is my daughter's art project on Little Palaces that Elvis was very happy about signing. He listened to me explain the whole thing and wrote all the way across the bottom. Since it was in black ink on black paper it didn't photograph very well from a distance, so I got a close up of just a portion of it.

The entire signature said, "To Jessica, thank you for doing this! Love, Elvis Costello. And yes, she was thrilled to see it this morning. She's getting it framed. I think it was something really unique in the middle of albums, cds, and the like that people were asking him to sign and he was really impressed.

And after all that about being so scared to be near him, I knew that Jessica wanted that signed by him so much, so I found myself up in front of him, explaining it and having it signed - and then hugging him and telling him thank you - without even realizing what I was doing until it was mostly over. You do what you have to for your kids. And I was glad in the end. :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Spooky - I am so pleased for you. You seemed to have the most amazing time and Elvis sounded like he was on good form too! Didn't I tell you he would nice? Great pictures too although Paddy doesn't look too pleased! I take it the others enjoyed it too :)

Great setlist. I'm glad he did Real Emotional Girl. He did it at the Sold on Song show. I'm glad it got a wider audience.

I bet you knew it was going to be your night when Elvis did Brilliant Mistake second song into the set!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Spooky, what a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us! Your report has me envious that I didn't try harder to make it to the Ryman. (Would've had to take the kids out of school for a day or 2.) Sounds like a great show!
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Spooky was typing as I crashed last night and again when I woke up. :) It was a great show with wonderful things happening before and after. I don't see that Spooky mentioned we all met at a local pub (Mulligan's) a few blocks form the Ryman before the show. They were fabulous enough to indulge us and played what seemed to be all of This Year's Model for us.

The show itself was incredible. Spooky wanted to see all the "Elvi" and I don't see how he could have covered many other musical areas. The sound was nothing less than superb and he even sang some parts unmiked which tells you a lot about the man and the venue.

I saw him on the Almost Blue tour at the new Grand Old Opry House and country Elvis at the Ryman is even better.

What else can I say? The setlist and photos are already there. A good time was had by all.
verbal gymnastics

DrS - did you manage to get in a word with Elvis?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Spooky et al (but esp Spooky!) I am soooo happy for you.

That's a great story. I've only ever had one thing signed by him and that too was for someone else-- it's a good motivator!!

Funny, I had a dream last night that I talked to Elvis about The Board. He was nonplussed until I mentioned his having met Lapinsjolis & Mr. Misery at Clearwater, then he was all excited. Of course, that was a dream. In the dream I also left a really expensive movie camera at my seat and it got stolen, but that wasn't Elvis's fault really...

PS, VG it is Paddy's job to look un-pleased and damn he does it well, no?
verbal gymnastics

SMM - yes. But he's a lovely man in real life! He tried to convince me and my mate at the Royal Festival Hall that Steve wasn't around to speak to because he'd left early out of the main entrance to go to a lap dancing club. He almost had us believing him (for a nanosecond!).
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

great photos spooky! hey i have a photo of dr spooky w/ his eyes closed! is he narcoleptic?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.