Ray Davies shot in New Orleans

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Must be me then....for some reason I thought that New Orleans was a hotbed of A Capella activity....
This traditional music has its roots in the Deep South, from the time when men went to the barbershop for a shave every two or three days. While they waited for their turns, they started singing songs for their sweethearts. Eventually, the men formed what we know today as barbershop quartets.
Hey check this site out...it's really interesting..

http://webpages.marshall.edu/~bennett7/ ... rigin.html
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

New Orleans is the brthplace of Jazz, not Barbershop. If you want to hear great Dixieland, you can do so on most corners of the French Quarter. Of course, it's also home to other great forms of music, and having been there in just about every season, I can tell you that the party may slow down, but it never really stops. My wife and I honeymooned in NO, and we go whenever we get the chance.

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans?
And miss her each night and day?
I know I'm not wrong because the feeling's getting stronger
the longer i stay away...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

If you want to hear the great, gritty New Orleans brass sound, pick up the Dirty Dozen Brass Band CD that features Elvis on vocals on the song That's How You Got Killed Before. The title is escaping me for now.....
A rope leash

N'arlens

Post by A rope leash »

I'd love to have that video! It's got "tiny Elvis"!

N'arlens is hot, and it's the winter home of Jesus, who summers in Chicago.

Pop, do people in New Orleans get offended when someone calls it "N'arlens", like some San Franciscans do when someone says "Frisco?"

Probably not, I reckon.
A rope leash

Oily Town

Post by A rope leash »

...and by the way, St. Louis is ranked #2 on the most dangerous cities list, behind Detroit, I believe.

That's not to say that New Orleans isn't dangerous, it's only to say that St. Louis is the place to be if you find fear exciting.

That Oily Slick is one bad mother, you bet...
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i ain't bad, but the bad don't mess with me, as the saying goes.

st louis murders inexplicably dropped last year to 69 from like 200 and some. they have been in decline for years, but it was dramatic this time. first time in 40 years, yes 40 years, they have been under 100. so we're fine.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

I credit that "...where is the love" song.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

pophead2k wrote:If you want to hear the great, gritty New Orleans brass sound, pick up the Dirty Dozen Brass Band CD that features Elvis on vocals on the song That's How You Got Killed Before. The title is escaping me for now.....
it's The New Orleans Album
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thanks, HS.

ARL: No, no one gets offended. N'Awlins, New Orleeens, New Orluns, Crescent City, Big Easy: it all works for us. We're more laid back than people from The City.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

On that subject:

How do most folks who actually live there pronounce "New Orleans?"

I'm from Baltimore, and there is an (attrocious) accent native to Baltimore, wherein Baltimoreans pronounce their hometown as "Bawlmer" or sometimes "Bawlamer." But the thing is that it's a very regional accent, and most residents of the city tend not to have it. So what about New Orleans? In movies (the Big Easy in particular) there was a a lot of fuss about saying "N'Awlins." Is that accurate?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Most people say New Orluhns. Some say New Orleeuhns (accent on middle syllable). But no locals say New Orleeens. As far as the movie goes, the accent you usually get is either cajun (much much more prevelent in between Baton Rouge and Houston) or deep south (Mississippi, Alabama). New Orleans is unique in this part of the south for not really having much of an accent. The prevailing one here in Orleans Parish sounds like a Brooklyn accent (hwat dwags and Cwaffee dwalin'). When I first moved here, I couldn't understand why everyone sounded like they were from New York.

Someone from the Simpsons, by the way, is clearly familiar with New Orleans. The multiple skewerings the city receives are right on the mark, unlike the ridiculous cliches that appear in movies (hero leaves hotel room, cuts through Mardi Gras parade and then dives into a swamp).
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Do they pronounce the 'new' though P2K? Or say 'nyorluhns'?

Im really into the regional accent side of linguistics!

It would be really interesting to hear how every one on hear sounds you know, scousers, canadians, estuary englishmen, new yorkers, brummies, deep south, texas...we got loads of variety!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Torontonians tend to call Toronto, "Tarana" or "T.O."...

I practiced saying it properly while I was in England.

It's a wonder people don't think we're all from Tehran.
Last edited by BlueChair on Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well it ain't saint louie here bub. i have no accent lc, but i do speak only in expletives.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Well, I wish I was in New Orleans
I can see it in my dreams
arm-in-arm down Burgundy
a bottle and my friends and me
hoist up a few tall cool ones
play some pool and listen to that
tenor saxophone calling me home
and I can hear the band begin
"When the Saints Go Marching In"
by the whiskers on my chin
New Orleans, I'll be there

from I Wish I Was In New Orleans - Tom Waits

It'd be cool for EC and the I's (w/ horns) to get a smoky club funky brass sound for the next record... (the "to be recorded while touring the southern states" one?... potentially great, I hope that idea is not forgotten about). I'm thinking of a cross between the best elements of B&C and Spike.
verbal gymnastics wrote:You were missed off the Honours List too then Bamboo? :)
I'd only accept a knighthood from King Of Spain, and they're only offered to you if you laugh at his jokes. 8)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I've met Oily and he IS one bad mutha. . . . . . .don't mess with him. He's scarier than hell and he'll tear you limb from limb! Right, Mood? 8)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I would very much like to go to New Orleans, especially considering my love for American music.

I guess when you're in any major city (my own Toronto included), you just have to be street smart.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.