Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm full of horrible sticky green string. This might be my first day off sick all year. Bummer.
Sinus infection? My little guy's given me something too - not too severe yet, but I'm expecting it to get worse.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I am very prone to blocked sinuses, so a common cold of any magnitude turns into a full-scale battle against a green tide.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

It must be goin' round town. I've lost my voice altogether and have a splitting headache. Slept all morning and had those icky, intense, distraught dreams (sample: it's my [childhood] family vacation, but nobody is talking to me; when I ask my mom, "Why don't you like me anymore?" she says, "Cause I'm making dinner").
:roll: :?

Ow. Ow ow ow.
Otis Westinghouse

Poor Mug! There's a lot of it round, for sure.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Could someone please explain Larry King to me? The best I can come up with is that we need proof that you can be that unattractive and still suck at your job.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Does "A Certain Softness" from McCartney's latest album rip off a bit of the melody from Squeeze's "There's No Tomorrow" or are my ears playing tricks on me?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

El Vez wrote:Could someone please explain Larry King to me? The best I can come up with is that we need proof that you can be that unattractive and still suck at your job.
And if you replace Larry King with Verbal Gymnastics you could come up with the same question.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

It's so gray and blah today outside. Leaves are littering my yard.

I just sent flowers to my neighbor from across the street who is in the hospital dying of cancer because the chemo she needs won't be released by the FDA until 1st quarter next year. I don't think she'll make it until then. Damn cancer.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I hope she suffers as little as possible. Feckin awful. Amazing to think how many of us will go this route if the battle doesn't start turning more in favor of life.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Re the remake of Yours, Mine & Ours -

Damn you, Hollywood! Damn you all to Hell! The original YM&O starred supernovas Henry Fonda & Lucille Ball and was a smart, funny and suprisingly grownup family comedy and it looks like they've gone the farting slapstick route with the remake. Bastards. Just absolute bastards.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

spooky girlfriend wrote:It's so gray and blah today outside. Leaves are littering my yard.

I just sent flowers to my neighbor from across the street who is in the hospital dying of cancer because the chemo she needs won't be released by the FDA until 1st quarter next year. I don't think she'll make it until then. Damn cancer.
My sympathies to your neighbor. Cancer is an unspeakable misery.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Does "A Certain Softness" from McCartney's latest album rip off a bit of the melody from Squeeze's "There's No Tomorrow" or are my ears playing tricks on me?
I think its just that one line , but it is exactly the same. What really annoys me is that the last song - Anyway - is such a lovely song - but the beginning bit is an exact rip off of "People Get Ready".
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Thanks, Vez. And even Jessica remarked upon seeing the commercial for that movie that it couldn't possibly be as good as the original, which we have made sure our blended family watched. :)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mike Boom wrote:
I think its just that one line , but it is exactly the same. What really annoys me is that the last song - Anyway - is such a lovely song - but the beginning bit is an exact rip off of "People Get Ready".
I'll have to listen to that again. I'm hearing little echoes of Squeeze songs all over the place after breaking out Argybargy and East Side Story for the first time in a long time last week. Rufus Wainwright's beautiful "Natasha" makes me think he'd been listening to Squeeze's "Vanity Fair".
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Damn. Now I gotta run and duck for cover. Good chance of severe weather moving through here this afternoon. People in Huntsville listen when tornados are predicted. One moved through here 16 years ago today that did a lot of damage.

Auntie Em, Auntie Em!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Hope it turns out to be a false alarm, Spooks. I confess to being fascinated by tornadoes from a scientific point of view, but my God they're terrifying. Like a giant baseball bat that comes out of the blue (literally) and randomly whomps towns to a pulp, and then disapears.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, that one 16 years ago was an F-4 that killed 21 people. Huntsville can't afford to ignore the warning signals - even if they don't amount to anything at the end of the day.

And hopefully they won't.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Damn. Now I gotta run and duck for cover. Good chance of severe weather moving through here this afternoon. People in Huntsville listen when tornados are predicted. One moved through here 16 years ago today that did a lot of damage.

Auntie Em, Auntie Em!
It's your own fault for voting against Proposition 3721A, you know.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

They forecast snow in Poland for the weekend.
My daughter, for one, loves winter. Me, I could do without it.
But I'll help the kids make a snowman anyway.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

I hate throwing out books. Even ones I've never read and may never get round to are like old friends.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I give mine to the library, Otis. Once in a great while, they keep one.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

mood swung wrote:I give mine to the library, Otis. Once in a great while, they keep one.
Well there's probably not a lot of call for books that are already coloured in :lol: Believe me.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Is Matthew McConaughey really the sexiest man alive? That's the best People magazine could do? Matthew effin' McConaughey?!?

My application must have got lost in the mail. :?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Hey, I saw that this morning and thought the same thing. And I'm female. He does nothing for me except make me love nerdy guys more. He really seems dense and shallow somehow.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Besides, what has he even been doing in the last year that he'd even be that fresh in people's minds?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.