New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Were they around in '86? Must have been pretty unknown if so, no?

They played at Cambridge's smaller of the two proper venues here, the Junction. third gig in a row I've been to there which was sell out, last two being Bragg and From The Jam. And the one before that was the anything but sold out Ron Sexsmith one, which of course was better than the rest put together! It's an 800 capacity venue. OK sound. Bit of a shed, but I really like the size of it, and there's always a bit of a charged atmosphere for a sell out event. Step On brought the house down. If you took Bez away, it would be fun, but nothing to really get wild about. He makes it something special. It's hard to take your eyes off him. The energy he puts out is amazing. His left arm was bandaged - which reminded me of the notorious Caribbean arm breakage when they were 'recording' there. He made some reference to the joys of alcohol in relation to it! Shaun is a singer who isn't a frontman, mike stand near the drums, chair beside that he often sits on. Bez is the frontman who doesn't sing. One of the most memorable people I've seen performing, really. I'd forgotten how many great songs they had. I've never bought anything of theirs, but a best of would be a real pleasure, or the original LPs.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

It was pretty early on, hmm ..... must have been 89, it was after Bummed had come out.

They will get their due one day when the revisionists get round to that era, they seem to be overlooked in the history of things at the moment, Wrote for Luck, Loose Fit, brilliant stuff. The Stones to the Roses Beatles to borrow a cliche.

Pills and Thrills is the one to get - tho Bummed is great too.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Have just finished by third related gig of The Jam in a week.

The From The Jam gig details were posted on the previous page.

I've seen The Jamm tribute band twice in a week now and they were very different. Sunday was pretty good but I saw them last night at the 100 Club and I was blown away. They were fantastic. They had a two piece brass section on and off in the show and these two gents added some real joy to songs like The Bitterest Pill, Heatwave, In The Midnight Hour and Ghosts.

If you like The Jam you really need to see these guys.

We have a local music festival at a couple of pubs this weekend so that's me taken care of. :D
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Are you saying The Jamm were better than From the Jam?

Speaking of that era - I bought tickets to see Devo later on this month at the Shepherds Bush Empire.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

They were both good. I would say though that The Jamm last night was better than From The Jam.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:They were both good. I would say though that The Jamm last night was better than From The Jam.
...but Kinda Sorta from The Jammmmm could kick the shit out of either of them! :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

I think you're making that up. There is no kinda sorta from the jammmm -

there is however a Jam Restart and an All Mod Cons! .... and a Paul Weller Experience (but I think that might be the same as the Jamm only they cover the post Jam years)

I'm not opposed to a cage match to determine supremacy
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

no All Jammmmmmed Up?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Boy With A Problem

not since I switched from Rice Krispies to All Bran
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just in from Joe Jackson at the Olympia, Dublin. Excellent show. In a piano-bass-and-drums tour with Graham Maby and Dave Houghton he did lots of new songs ( which they'll be recording 'in a few weeks') and jazzy, mostly re-invented versions of old ones. Interesting stage setup ; the performers used in-ear monitors with a resulting lack of front stacks. Joe's grand piano was besides Houghton's kit , with Maby doing his bass thing between and behind them. An hour and half show which never sagged, consistently engaging those up for a musical adventure. Not what some of the audience wanted , as indicated by the groans as yet another new song was introduced but Joe, in excellent voice , seemed to thrive on it.

http://www.joejackson.com/index.php
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds good. I really went off him when he donned a zoot suit and never quite got back there. he was on Radio 4's today for his pro-smoking stance. Fuck the bastard and everyone else who supports that, long live the nanny state and those who sail in her! Cigarettes will be history within a few decades, grow up and stop moaning!
verbal gymnastics

We had a local music festival at two of the local pubs this weekend so I managed to get there on Saturday and Sunday. I have to say the bands I saw were superb. My friend plays in one and they did a superb set which covered XTC's Making Plans For Nigel, Lene Lovich's Lucky Number, Johnny Moped's Darling Let's Have Another Baby and then culminated with Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love which had my mate's drum solo getting people in off the streets and the beer garden to see it. The festival ended with a Pink Floyd tribute band called Breathe who were very good although not my cup of Earl Grey.

I'm going to see George Michael at Wembley on Saturday. This will be twice in 6 months so I all hope you recognise by now how much I love Mrs VG :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm going to see George Michael at Wembley on Saturday. This will be twice in 6 months so I all hope you recognise by now how much I love Mrs VG
........sure , and you will absolutely hate this photo.......

verbal gymnastics

:lol:

A full report of course will be submitted. Indeed I'll ask Mrs VG for special dispensation to use t'internet when we get home from the show.

When it's said that George Michael will be the first artist to play the new Wembley Stadium, surely it will be the first support band :?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

mood swung wrote:Image

oily slick took these of James McMurtry on Cinco de Mayo. (I can't believe he didn't take any of me, with my new haircut and all...)
very good show. not for Republicans. good times, good times. That boy (JM, not os) can play.
shit i just found these. good times good times. y'all don't know james mcmurtry. and that fucker can play. just the way you're standin' says it all.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Allen Toussaint / The Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

New Orleans Nights - Sage Hall 1, Gateshead, 10 June 2007

Mr Toussaint gave an hour long set, featuring medleys (e.g Certain Girl/Mother in Law/Fortune Teller/Certain Girl), full songs (e.g. Southern Nights), and anecdotes ("the Rolling Stones recorded Fortune Teller, and led me all the way to the bank for the 1st time. Love the Rolling Stones."). Just him and a grand piano. Elegant.

We were then entertained for 90 minutes by the Preservation Hall, and Mr Toussaint took over the keys for the final number of their main set. When the Saints Go Marching In, of course, was the finale. Joyful.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

George Michael at Wembley on Saturday was a very good show and in fairness, he has an excellent voice. The music is not my cup of Earl Grey but 70 odd thousand people disagreed with me. It is always a fantastic sight at a concert to look around and see people clapping in time at the same time. I first saw it with Queen at Live Aid doing Radio GaGa and whenever I'm at a big show I'm always struck by the unity.

Wembley Stadium is fantastic by the way.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I first saw it with Queen at Live Aid
Do say more about that performance, verbal. Did they steal the show? I bet they didn't bore for a moment.
Otis Westinghouse

verbal gymnastics wrote:It is always a fantastic sight at a concert to look around and see people clapping in time at the same time.
Good to note your highlight was a bit of clapping from the audience rather than Georgie boy! Did he make any jokes about his criminal record and penchant for nodding off in his car?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Hooray! Nick Lowe is touring this year and I'm going to see him in October in Stockholm with his band (provided I'll get tickets). Rush are also playing Stockholm at the same day almost at the same time which is a shame since I could've gone to see both had one concert been a day or so early/later.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Will be seeing Stan Ridgway in early August.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Apples In Stereo on Tuesday night.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Prince in September
signed with love and vicious kisses
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Hoping to see the Fratellis next month at my fave club, The Paradise. It's only $20 and they seem like they'd be fun live. Will try to get my ticket next week; I'm pretty sure it will sell out.