Elvis/Imposters, Huntington, NY , Sept. 30 '11

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Re: Elvis/Imposters, Huntington, NY , Sept. 30 '11

Post by sulky lad »

Fantastic, thanks so much Eric ( and Doc !)
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Eric1616 wrote:I uploaded the show this afternoon and it is being worked on as we speak. I'm told it may well be up on Dime tonight.
It's up:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=376109
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:i bet we will...with a full-on insult of last night's boorish crowd! :o :o hey doc...please save me a REAL ticket stub as i got the print at home crap! see u there! i'll call about 7-7:15. got a recording or two for me from this week PLEASE???
I'll bring the Nashville CD tonight. Fantastic boot. Sample below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTyDSjc4im8
Good to see your YouTube channel slowly returning.

Regarding the other topic, Vegas (where I reside) usually has horrible, boorish crowds. However, when he played Josephine at the Vegas Revolver show, the room was mesmorized.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

History History wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:not that I'll ever get to see him live again.
How so, Otis? Is it because you are in the UK? If so, I know what you mean. :(
Exactly. Well I did see him 15 months back in Hyde Park with Sugarcanes, but it's over 6 since he toured with the Imposters, which is crazy.

The Elvis 'pindrop' moments are among the best I've had in a concert hall. Thinking of 'I Want You' at Hammersmith in 2002, 'Almost Blue' in the same venue in 2005 when he sat on the stage edge, 'Couldn't Call It...' off mic with Nieve in '03. When a great artist holds an audience like that, especially if they have the lungs to fill a place like the Birmingham Symphony Hall with no mic, it is spellbinding.

Supermaz, I feel your pain.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
History History

Post by History History »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
History History wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:not that I'll ever get to see him live again.
How so, Otis? Is it because you are in the UK? If so, I know what you mean. :(
Exactly. Well I did see him 15 months back in Hyde Park with Sugarcanes, but it's over 6 since he toured with the Imposters, which is crazy.

The Elvis 'pindrop' moments are among the best I've had in a concert hall. Thinking of 'I Want You' at Hammersmith in 2002, 'Almost Blue' in the same venue in 2005 when he sat on the stage edge, 'Couldn't Call It...' off mic with Nieve in '03. When a great artist holds an audience like that, especially if they have the lungs to fill a place like the Birmingham Symphony Hall with no mic, it is spellbinding.

I was also at those shows, Otis,time stood still for me when he did Couldn't Call It Unexpected. Pure Magic....
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

I was there Friday nite--drove from Boston and was down front...and was clearly disappointed when it prematurely ended having spent a day driving and standing on line---and you could clearly hear (at he stage itself) the "atmosphere" during slower songs like "Long Honeymoon"...and then with Sleep of the Just, you could hear the wheels coming off...I was on the rail of the stage and myself was straining to hear the nuanced vocals and keyboard, and could clearly hear the din and uproarious sounds of the bar drowing out the music that was being played right in front of me---which entirely killed the somber and serious tone of the song. I was not surprised at the abrupt ending---the screaming of "ELVIS and "ALISON" while he was off-mic and playing the notes on Josephine was unbearable. While off-mic, he stood in front of a small group and literally sang right to us---as he could see at least this small group was transfixed..and actually made sustained eye contact, which is not something i've seen him do ofter. As was posted by others, Steve was waiting to come back on, then Elvis gestured "done". Even the crew exited in a rush, seemingly looking to shake the experience.

The 80minutes that preceded this were very strong, but having gotten most of the "big 5" (as BA refers to them) out of the way--with the clearly notable exception of Alison--we were getting ready for a great extended encore-----as he was performing the "Kings Ransom" selection on the wheel (sleep of the just, josephine played...to come "stations"?, "brilliant mistake"?, "suit of lights") when he truncated the show and left ....tremendously disappointing, but as certainly 'couldnt call it unexpected'...

The post on here about the deliberate carnival aspect of the spinning songbook shows possibly being a contibuting factor is well-taken...as well as the fact that it was the opening nite of this venue---so many people looking for place to be and party (rather than being Elvis fans), was likely also part of it....none-the-less, the fans around me were all very cool and there to enjoy a great artisit---but it only takes a few to ruin it
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

No action / Radio Radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UURIZV3zxBk
PLU / Waiting For The End Of The World / I Can Only Give You Everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIgJMFfpNzo
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Another account of the "walk out" by Mickey2 on this forum:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/e ... 279/page-3

"Saw the show last night at the grand opening of the newly renovated Paramount theater in Huntington, NY. Venue was great. Show kicked off at a rapid fire pace without pause between the first block of, I don't know, maybe 8 songs in a row.

It was all very enjoyable, including surprise cover of the Beatles' And Your Bird Can Sing.

However, it ended on a somewhat sour note. During the relatively quieter portion of his encore, there was way too much chatter in the audience, partly due to Billy Joel's presence in the VIP section above where I was standing on the main floor, and a lot of the hyperactivity was in anticipation of the possibility that he might join Elvis on stage (which he didn't). So instead of people chanting for Elvis to come out for an encore, they were chanting "Bill-y.. Bill-y.. Bill-y..." I had two particularly annoying women behind me who wouldn't shut the **** up. It came to a point where Elvis walked away from his microphone and continued singing and playing (almost to himself) in a failed attempt at getting people to get the message and quiet down. He ultimately returned to the microphone, finished up the number, took a quick bow and walked off, obviously ticked off."

Seems it was more than just chatter that Elvis was contending with.

MOOT