Blue Note Records Festival (Belgium) - July 17, 2007

Pretty self-explanatory
jmm

Re: Blue Note Records Festival (Belgium) - July 17, 2007

Post by jmm »

AT is great but yikes, that same EC shot voice I heard in London - stick with Hot as A Pistol, keen as a Blade!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Belgian radiostation Klara broadcasted more of the Blue Note festival on april 11, 2008.
I missed the FM broadcast, but you can "listen again" online for 60 days:

http://radio.klara.be/radio/herbeluisteren.php

http://internetradio.vrt.be/radiospeler ... 11RLIV.xml
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:Belgian radiostation Klara broadcasted more of the Blue Note festival on april 11, 2008.

Could someone be so kind to record this show from the internet and post the (FLAC)files here? The show will disappear in a few weeks.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hey - I tried to call up the stream (from the US) and it didn't recognize my media players. I can't read German/Dutch... Maybe this media co. should offer the show by podcast for a fee?

I don't have time to source / record the show.

You can download a tool from StreamingStar.com if you want to rip the stream... You're on the division line of where music licensing begins and ends... Maybe you will have better luck. I'm sure it will be dimed out... sorry, good luck.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:Belgian radiostation Klara broadcasted more of the Blue Note festival on april 11, 2008.

Could someone be so kind to record this show from the internet and post the (FLAC)files here? The show will disappear in a few weeks.
I downloaded some tools and managed to capture the stream. I've uploaded the windows media file to Mediafire. The quality of the stream is only 95 kB/s. Until a FM recording shows up, this is the best you can get. The download is 40 MB.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c4v1gtucymt

This is the setlist of the broadcast:
Wonder Woman (Allen Toussaint)
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea (Elvis Costello)
On Your Way down (Allen Toussaint)
Bedlam (Elvis Costello)
Tears, Tears and More Tears (Allen Toussaint)
Watching the Detectives (Elvis Costello)
Clubland (Elvis Costello)
Alison/Tracks Of My Tears (Elvis Costello/...)
Yes We Can (Allen Toussaint)
I Can't Stand up for Falling down (Homer Banks / Allen Jones)
High Fidelity (Elvis Costello)
Fortune Teller (Naomi Neville )
The Sharpest Thorn (Elvis Costello / Allen Toussaint)
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Extracted from a review of the two day Blue Note Records festival by Mischa Andriessen published on the Jazzenzo jazz magazine website on 28 July 2007:

Elvis Costello with the Allen Toussaint Band & Horns ft Steve Nieve

"Een hele mond vol, de bandnaam waarmee deze groep aangekondigd moest worden. Er staat dan ook heel wat op het podium. Toussaint is een legendarische representant van de R&B uit New Orleans. Bijna zeventig en leverancier van een groot aantal wereldberoemde songs als “Working in the coalmine” en “Everything I do gonna be funky”. Vorig jaar verscheen “The river in reverse” waarop hij samenwerkte met Elvis Costello, die al eerder een cd opnam met een vermaarde songwriter: Burt Bacharach.

Allen Toussaint en Elvis Costello sloten editie 2007 van het Blue Note Records Festival af

Is Elvis Costello nog punk? Die vraag is waarschijnlijk voldoende voor een avondvullende discussie. In het typische, rafelige punkidioom opereert Costello niet meer. De laatste jaren heeft de zanger/gitarist met heel veel verschillende stijlen geëxperimenteerd, maar precies dat maakt hem misschien wel punk. “Do it yourself” was ooit het motto. Laat je niet hinderen door kennis en kunde, maar speel en maak er iets van. In dat ‘yourself’ klonk nog verzet door tegen het establishment, wat in de variant waarmee Nike sportschoenen verkoopt; “just do it” is verdwenen. Ergens daartussen lijkt Costello zich te begeven. Daar begint ook de discussie, want doet Costello uit dwarsheid nu iets wat hij eigenlijk niet kan, of probeert hij nog altijd de ultieme uitingsvorm te vinden en is hij vanuit die queeste van een woedende zanger met een rammelende gitaar een perfect op zijn gemak lijkend podiumbeest geworden die dampende rhythm & blues brengt?

Het onbevredigende antwoord is: misschien wel allebei. Bovendien moet je Costello nageven dat hij zijn hand niet heeft overspeeld. De muziek die hij met de band van Toussaint neerzet, wordt bijzonder goed uitgevoerd. Hijzelf en Toussaint zingen met overtuiging en vooral de blazerssectie zorgt voor een vette sound. In een enkel nummer klinkt nog iets van de oude hoekigheid door, maar na al die jaren is Costello’s stijl soepel en vriendelijk geworden. Perfect voor een festival waar de zon schijnt. Er zijn echter mensen die meer van het onvolmaakte houden en die, hoe punk de zanger/gitarist misschien nog is, meer gesteld zijn op het magere, boze mannetje, veel meer gesteld zijn op de Elvis Costello toen die nog puur punk was."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

Elvis Costello with the Allen Toussaint Band & Horns ft Steve Nieve

"A mouthful, the band name with which this group had to be announced. There is a lot on stage. Toussaint is a legendary representative of the R&B from New Orleans. Almost seventy and supplier of a large number of world-famous songs such as" Working in the coalmine ”and“ Everything I'm going to be funky.” Last year, “The river in reverse ”appeared on which he collaborated with Elvis Costello, who previously recorded a CD with a renowned songwriter: Burt Bacharach.

Allen Toussaint and Elvis Costello closed the 2007 edition of the Blue Note Records Festival

Is Elvis Costello still punk? That question is probably sufficient for an evening-long discussion. Costello no longer operates in the typical, ragged punk idiom. In recent years the singer / guitarist has experimented with many different styles, but that is exactly what makes him punk. "Do it yourself" was once the motto. Don't let knowledge and skill hinder you, but play and make something of it. Resistance against the establishment continued to be heard in that "yourself," in the variant with which Nike sells sports shoes; "Just do it" has disappeared. Somewhere in between Costello seems to be moving. That is where the discussion begins, because Costello is doing something he really can't do, or is he still trying to find the ultimate form of expression, and from that quest of a furious singer with a rattling guitar he is a perfectly comfortable stage beast become a steaming rhythm & blues?

The unsatisfactory answer is: maybe both. You also have to tell Costello that he did not replay his hand. The music he plays with the band from Toussaint is very well performed. He and Toussaint sing with conviction and especially the wind section provides a great sound. Something of the old angularity resounds in a single song, but after all these years, Costello’s style has become supple and friendly. Perfect for a festival where the sun is shining. There are, however, people who love the imperfect more and who, how punk the singer / guitarist might be, are more fond of the skinny, angry little man, much more fond of the Elvis Costello when it was pure punk."

Not sure we'd need a whole evening to decide on whether Elvis is still punk, but perhaps in 2007, the answer was less clear.

MOOT
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

sweetest punch wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:

I downloaded some tools and managed to capture the stream. I've uploaded the windows media file to Mediafire. The quality of the stream is only 95 kB/s. Until a FM recording shows up, this is the best you can get. The download is 40 MB.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c4v1gtucymt

This is the setlist of the broadcast:
Wonder Woman (Allen Toussaint)
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea (Elvis Costello)
On Your Way down (Allen Toussaint)
Bedlam (Elvis Costello)
Tears, Tears and More Tears (Allen Toussaint)
Watching the Detectives (Elvis Costello)
Clubland (Elvis Costello)
Alison/Tracks Of My Tears (Elvis Costello/...)
Yes We Can (Allen Toussaint)
I Can't Stand up for Falling down (Homer Banks / Allen Jones)
High Fidelity (Elvis Costello)
Fortune Teller (Naomi Neville )
The Sharpest Thorn (Elvis Costello / Allen Toussaint)
Anyway this could be reloaded? Mediafire expired. Then noticed it was originally placed here in 2008. I'm getting old.