Growin' ma hair long...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bobster

Post by bobster »

miss buenos aires wrote:There is a new process out--the only thing I know about it is that the ads say it's Japanese, which doesn't make very much sense to me, as I've never seen a Japanese person with naturally curly hair--that is supposed to make your hair bone straight. Here's one of the many links that comes up when you Google "straighten hair Japanese":

http://www.citycut.us/thermal-reconditioning-Q&A.htm
I don't know about Japanese hair -- even though about 30% of my friends are Japanese-American, but my Phillipino-American cartoonist pal has his hair straightened before it gets cut. The things you learn when you reccommend a hair cutter to a friend....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

They call it Japanese straightening because it makes your hair straight and makes it look like the kind of hair that a lot of Asians have. It can be very harsh and damaging...also..if you want to change up your do every now and again..you really don't have that choice...it's straight or straight.
I would highly recommend the cold straightening process (the Japanese one is hot) which is actually more like a relaxer. If your hair is curly..your curls won't be as tight when you let it dry naturally. It's easier to blow out straight and it stays straight (even through humidity). The best part is the significantly reduced frizz factor. Only a couple of places do it (the products used are made by Matrix) but it's worth finding.

This is coming from someone who grew up looking like Roseanne Rosannadanna..but not anymore!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

miss buenos aires wrote:Hair long enough to be put in a ponytail does not belong on a man.
You sound just like my parents used to - I guess I am no man ;)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Tim(e) wrote:
miss buenos aires wrote:Hair long enough to be put in a ponytail does not belong on a man.
I would say that it doesn't belong on some men... like me, for instance.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Tim(e) wrote:
Well, we will at least be able to offer constructive critiwiticisms and counselling to Bamboo here in Sydney in the very near future ;)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Tim(e) wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Tim(e) wrote: You sound just like my parents used to - I guess I am no man ;)
Well, we will at least be able to offer constructive critiwiticisms and counselling to Bamboo here in Sydney in the very near future ;)
Can't wait. Should be a blast. :)
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

bobster wrote:
miss buenos aires wrote:There is a new process out--the only thing I know about it is that the ads say it's Japanese, which doesn't make very much sense to me, as I've never seen a Japanese person with naturally curly hair--that is supposed to make your hair bone straight. Here's one of the many links that comes up when you Google "straighten hair Japanese":

http://www.citycut.us/thermal-reconditioning-Q&A.htm
I don't know about Japanese hair -- even though about 30% of my friends are Japanese-American, but my Phillipino-American cartoonist pal has his hair straightened before it gets cut. The things you learn when you reccommend a hair cutter to a friend....
I know some Japanese twins, Ryoko and Kyoko, with naturally wavy hair who choose to straighten it.
Where's North from 'ere?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Gillibeanz wrote:Well depends how often you wash your hair - it will stay straight until the next wash if you use hair straighteners so its not really high maintance. Mine is very long - down to my waist and it only takes me 10 mins to straighten it! ask around your girl friends and see if you can borrow some and give it a go!
10 minutes of hair straighteners every time I wash it?! That would be much too much fiddling around for me I'm afraid. Plus, I can't bring myself to borrow their personal grooming equipment to straighten my hair regularly!!
marblefaun wrote:I would highly recommend the cold straightening process (the Japanese one is hot) which is actually more like a relaxer. If your hair is curly..your curls won't be as tight when you let it dry naturally. It's easier to blow out straight and it stays straight (even through humidity). The best part is the significantly reduced frizz factor. Only a couple of places do it (the products used are made by Matrix) but it's worth finding.
That looks like what I want... it seems that it would tend towards being more natural looking by the sound of it.
Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Tim(e) wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote: I would say that it doesn't belong on some men... like me, for instance.
Can't wait. Should be a blast. :)
Can't wait till we're actually sitting eating and drinking.

One ponytail that looked alright was on Kurt Russell in I think Escape From LA.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:One ponytail that looked alright was on Kurt Russell in I think Escape From LA.
The "Snake Pliskin" look, eh? Nice!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Tim(e) wrote:
Are we judging by your photo? Because those are some Murky Waters of Genderfuck.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

miss buenos aires wrote:
Tim(e) wrote:
Are we judging by your photo? Because those are some Murky Waters of Genderfuck.
If by photo, you are referring to my avatar, then rather than saying "I guess I am no man", it would probably have been more appropriate for me to have said "You think you're a man?" - simply Divine ;)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

So, Boo, whatcha doin' with your hair these days?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

First time reading this thread and I'm all of a breathless dither...
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Where ya been, Plaything? Welcome back!
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:First time reading this thread and I'm all of a breathless dither...
I must concur! However, as long as we're on the subject...

I'm considering cutting my hair short-ish. It's currently just below shoulder length, and I wear it up abut 95% of the time. Unless I spend loads of time blow drying it-- and I'm too busy and lazy for that-- it looks like crap when it's down.

The other consideration is that I'm sort of a pin head (anatomically that is) and I have shoulders like a linebacker, and so I worry that short hair will further emphasize this.... I can't decide what is age appropriate or flattering at this point.

Nobody knows the troubles I've seen (with my hair).
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mechanical Grace wrote:Nobody knows the troubles I've seen (with my hair).
Perhaps there should be a thread whereby people can put up pictures of themselves with their haircuts through the ages.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm considering cutting my hair short-ish.
I'm considering growing mine out! Unfortunately, mine is extremely fine and when worn long makes my head look really big and bony.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You'd look good in an Afro :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Believe it or not, I had one once. :shock: Seriously bad perm.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

My 13 year old son's is getting longish and in his eyes, and I find myself tuyrning into my dad and telling him he'll go blind and it needs cutting. Actually, it's now looking quite good, but if it's in need of a wash and all straggly it ain't appealing. My curlsome locks are getting greyer by the year, and so to get his own back he called me a 'silver hedgehog'. I still laugh at the brilliance of it. It pissed him off that he was trying to make me angry and I was almost off my seat laughing. I made the mitake of telling my colleagues... I told him that the real silver hedgehog look is this:

I reckon you should work on this styling, Bamb, and then give it a few years for the colouring to come.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

My youngest son, the Austinator, has taken to calling me Oldilocks.

Kind of clever, absolutely true, and completely on topic. :D
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Doc wonders if he calls you Oldilocks then what does he call Jim? :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Dad, mostly. :lol:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

spooky girlfriend wrote:So, Boo, whatcha doin' with your hair these days?
I'm keeping it shortish now Spooky - short back and sides, a couple of inches elsewhere and tapered pleasingly around the 4 and 8 o'clock regions :). I gave up during the dreaded middle stage of growing it out after all. I'll try again once I find the right hairdresser, I've made the mistake of hiring folks who just want to start cutting without fully indulging me and winning 100% of my confidence too often, I'm going to pick their brains for a while and be totally prepared to walk out at any moment. I might bring some pictures or something too.

What about yours?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Currently a couple of inches past the shoulders, Boo. I think it's all in retaliation from when I was a teenager and my mom always convinced me to have really short hair and style it very similar to hers. Yuck! I used to always be afraid to wear my hair straight, thinking I had to have it styled or curled. Now I enjoy just putting it in a ponytail or twisting it up and running out for errands without putting a lot of fuss into it except for special occasions. I think it suits me.

And anyone else?