Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Western Skies - Roddy Frame

He just gets better and better. If only he'd made an album like this in 1993 when he was still being marketed. Everyone should own this record. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Jarvis -- FINALLY! Loving it.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Picked up some nicely priced cds at the last local record store

Real Gone-Tom Waits (been meaning to get this for a while)
ALLROY for Prez- ALL (From the founding member of Descendents)
Gimme Fiction-Spoon
Skin and Bones-Foo Fighters (one of my favorite bands growing up. Live and acoustic)
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

miss buenos aires wrote:Jarvis -- FINALLY! Loving it.
It's good, but not quite in the 5-star region a lot of reviews seem to place it in, don't you think? (Unlike Different Class.) Certainly a lot better than late period Pulp. I think the 25 or so minute wait for Cunts Are Still Ruling The World is a bit much. They told me in Fopp that they'd had a directive making sure they didn't leave the CD on play till the end and upset the public, as if any music store is going to have 25 mins of nothing! Need to listen to oit quite a bit more, and check the words more, some of which strike me as great, but of course one mustn't read and listen, as Jarvis instructs on the CD body text itself. The old wag. I agree, actually, it gets in the way of the song, to some extent.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
miss buenos aires

I don't know about that...sometimes it's nice to totally immerse oneself in a new CD, totally concentrate on it by reading the words and listening to them at the same time.

I HATE HATE HATE false endings. They irritate the hell out of me.

It's no Different Class, but really, what is? "Don't Let Him Waste Your Time" and "Fat Children" are the standouts, I think.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Smiths - Rank
The Smiths - The Smiths
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

I never got around to buying these on CD. I was hoping that by now there would have been a definitive Smiths box set with EVERYTHING!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
miss buenos aires

verbal gymnastics wrote:The Smiths - Rank
The Smiths - The Smiths
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

I never got around to buying these on CD. I was hoping that by now there would have been a definitive Smiths box set with EVERYTHING!
Now that you've finally broken down, I'm giving it six months.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

"If there's something you'd like to try, ask me, I won't say now how could I?".

Six months before what MBA? :)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Finally got Waits' Orphans. Wonderful packaging and on first listen, very promising content.
miss buenos aires

verbal gymnastics wrote:"If there's something you'd like to try, ask me, I won't say now how could I?".

Six months before what MBA? :)
Before they come out with reissues!
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Ray LaMontagne - Til the Sun Turns Black

excellent!! saw him in concert last night
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

For others:

Damien Rice - 9
Sufjan Stevens - Christmas set
U2 - 18 singles

For me:

The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle - Springsteen
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

pophead2k wrote: Sufjan Stevens - Christmas set
I'm really loving that, by the way. I ripped it to iTunes and gave the originals in their lovely packaging to my sister, as it's her introduction to SS.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

In the sales @ Music Zone:

Bruce Springsteen - Devils & Dust (CD & DVD)
Saturday Night Live: 25 years of Music v3 (DVD)

£2.97 each :shock: 8)

Note: they have all 5 volumes of SNL DVDs at this same lovely bargain price, and our boy features on v1 & v3.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Springsteen's D&D is one of the £3 in Fopp right now, but I held back!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Liam Frost and the Slowdown Family - Show Me How The Spectres Dance

Really loving this Manchester 3 piece. Not in anyway original and Frost appears to have borrowed lots of Damien Rice and Damon Gough - which is no bad thing.

Talking of Damien Rice....not been much said of his new CD on this board. I bought it last week and haven't really got into it.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Image
Joanna Newsom's Ys. Bought this on the strength of hearing one track on Hype Machine and the rave reviews, which had me salivating, e.g. this. Am playing now, and indeed it is stunningly original. Batty as a fruitcake, but engrossingly beautiful, with eccentric but very impressive singing. The Van Dyke Parks arrangements are fabulous, the harp playing too. The 5 songs run to 55 mins, the lyrics require 24 pages. I love the idea of a record it's going to take ages to really get my head around, especially when it's so unique and hard to categorise.

Who will like this? Lots of people, it seems, but probably the people here who go for a combination of Kate Bush and Bjork would get very excited, and maybe a sprinkling of Anthony and the Johnsons. So, eccentric, individual and very good singing, intense, personal world view struggling to express itself through very original music. Having jsst listened to the end, my first thought is 'I want to hear that again!'
I find her voice totally unlistenable - sorry :? My next door neighbour's cat has a very distinctive wail....but its still a cat wailing! :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Not surprising. As I said, 'eccentric, individual'. Technically good, though, I would say. Love the fact that it's got lots of best of year plaudits. It's so damn original. Most records are so obvious, even the good ones. This ain't.

9 lacks the songwriting quality of O, and most of the songs sound like inferior cousins of specific ones from there. I was going to do a listing. A fun parlour game. Some of it might grow a bit, but it will never match O. This is what pissed me off about The Word's review. In an untypical act of total wrongness they said people who loved O would love this as it was more of the same, which is a total misjudgement. There are 4 or 5 classic songs on O, and 1 or 2 at best on 9, if that. Quite enjoyed the recent BBC session, especially the 'fuck you' one.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Ditto for me on the Damien Rice- I had very high expectations for this one because of the outstanding quality of O and the long wait between albums. Not a terrible album by any means, just disappointing.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

They did a helluva job remastering the Beatles stuff for this... the musical experiments like mixing "Good Night" with "Octopus' Garden" are fun and all, but the highlight for me is just how incredible qualitywise this stuff sounds. Now, if they'll only remaster the proper albums already I'll be really happy!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Erroll Garner - Erroll Garner's Finest Hour Part of Verve's Finest Hour compilations.

Absolutely fantastic piano work. 'Misty' has got to be one of the top ten songs ever written.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
miss buenos aires

A couple of weeks ago, I bought:

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Ladytron - Witching Hour
The Good, the Bad and the Queen - s/t
Of Montreal - Sunlandic Twins

And I have to say, out of the four of them (I do like them all), the one I think has the most staying power is... The Good, the Bad and the Queen. Has anyone else heard it?
Otis Westinghouse

Sadly not. I was trying to encourage my son to buy it, but no luck so far. I have a self-imposed shopping ban right now! I've seen them perform it on the telly at the Roundhouse, and it was very good. I was initially sceptical when I saw them on Later, but this won me over. Love Kingdom of Doom. It's had rave reviews here all round, and I do want to check it out soon. He's an old poseur, but I do love seeing Paul Simenon throwing his shapes with a low slung bass again.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Richard Swift's new one, Dressed Up For The Letdown, arrived today. Also pre-ordered the vinyl version of the new Arcade Fire album, Neon Bible.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I like Funeral, But thought that the Elbow record "Leaders" was stronger, overall. Any recommendations on other Elbow albums? I think "Leaders" is a brilliant recording.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)