I'm off to work!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Just got back from running an errand. The boy and I drove to about six parts of town looking to get a color copy made of a drawing he did, and then mail in the original to a contest. Drove to three former Kinkos, now closed, and three Post Offices, the first 2 closed at noon. Jesus, you'd think we'd been trying to find Willy Wonka's golden ticket from all the stops we had to make to get this one thing done.

In between we had to stop at Taco Bell or we would've perished from hunger.

At least I got him to laugh at it, telling him sometimes things are just like that....
A rope leash

Important things!

Post by A rope leash »

I just watched The Last Picture Show.

At least one set of famous breasts were exposed. Actresses did that a lot back then.

Black and white, though...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I just went into my teeny kitchen... My God!! Someone left dirty dishes EVERYWHERE. Apparently for many days on end. ...the fuck?!?!
I've been willing them there.
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm heading off soon to a pub to meet some friends.

The Duke of Gloucester is one of Toronto's more authentic British pubs and is known to attract many ex-pats. In fact, the bar was actually built in Britain and shipped over here. The Duke has the traditional red couches, deep burgundy wallpaper and patterned tin ceiling of the best British pubs. This is a favourite place for University of Toronto alumni and friends. There are 14 beers on tap, and two English ciders available. The menu includes some unique dishes and vegetarian items as well as pub favourites such as shepherd's pie and bangers and mash, and the food is cheap. The back room is a good place to play pool or darts (The Duke hosts darts league games a few times a month). The patio to the side sports a large illustrated map of Britain and Ireland. Some famous types, such as Kiefer Sutherland and the boys from Blur, have been known to stop in from time to time.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Does it have an old drunken man in a checked flat-cap, and shirt and tie (possibly a suspicious looking medal from 'the war' as well) slouched at the bar, mumbling incoherently at youngsters, as he nurses his pint of cheap cheap bitter?

What about a gents where you have to negotiate a lake of urine just so you can piss into a battered metal trough next to a hairy fat bloke you wouldn't normally want standing close to you outside - let alone when you've got your genitals exposed!?

Overweight barman with the lingering smell of B.O, leering at semi-clad 50yr old cackling women who should really know better, but they've had their hair done and appreciate the attention "cos God knows him at home doesn't seem to show any interest any more, It's a wonder I bother"?

Then it is an authentic British pub!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Good point LC. Having lived in rural Ireland for many years, I always found the notion of 'Irish Pubs' in the UK quite funny. In the UK, the have shelagleaghs(?) and shamrocks all over the place. In Mullingar they have a smelly dog sitting in the corner and wellington boots and cornflakes for sale behind the bar :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

In Australia, a lot of pubs haven't changed in 150 years... and many are Georgian, Edwardian or Victorian style, so Crow I'd imagine they'd be quite similar to those ones. We also have loads of Irish pubs. One difference probably is the amount of poker machines they pack into them at least in New South Wales and Victoria.

Plus they still stink of piss, folks still drink themselves silly, and they still vomit outside on the walls and/or pavement. But there's a sameness that I like about them.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

so lacklustre wrote:
I've been willing them there.

First Wings of Desire, now this! 8) :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I had a dream. a dream of elvis. well, sort of. saw a new elvis album for sale on the back of the sunday paper magazine thing. the cover was elvis grinning maniacally with his eyes closed. it was called All Pretty Sunshine in the Aquarium. am I psychic? only time will tell. but if I am, don't get too excited - it appeared to be a greatest hits kind of thing. oh, and I had another dream where Nick Lowe was recording a new album in my kitchen! his people asked me to leave, tho.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I had a dream a few nights ago that Elvis announced not one, not two, but three Toronto dates at Massey Hall on his spring tour.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I've watched the documentary 'Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of 'Smile' this afternoon. Interesting though not really a good film, too much celebration.
He's really wasted Brian Wilson, sometimes he reminds me of Ozzy. And that Van Dyke Parks is a kind of strange fella.
Oh and EC appears three times talking about the wow-effect of Pet Sounds.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

BlueChair wrote: The Duke of Gloucester
I've been there. I believe I drank beer there. Probably ate something, too. Keifer Sutherland was not there when I was there. Pity.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's a nice place.

I put a dollar in the jukebox and it gave me three songs. I picked "Rock and Roll" by The Velvet Underground, "Lola" by The Kinks, and "Oliver's Army" by our man. Though even when I wasn't picking the music, the music was great throughout the night.. lots of Clash, The Who, etc.

The menu was pretty exciting - they even had chips and curry sauce!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So did you get that car BWAP?

You should have phoned and popped in for a cup of tea - you were probably quite close to where we live if you came off the M25.

If anyone's near the M25 junction 4 and you've got time, let me know and perhaps we can have a cup of tea or something stronger in my local pub. It has all the authentic trappings of a traditional English pub as discussed earlier PLUS flavoured vodka shots which are £1 each or £10 for 12. They sell very well on Friday nights just before closing time.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Sitting here sulking after WHAR talked shit about the Pats and got away with it making me look like a fool.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I've just rolled 7 pairs of socks up and folded 4 pairs of big flowery pants, ready for the undies drawer. Then I sneezed. It's all go today.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just had two cups of coffee. Feeling much better now!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Coffee here too... Getting ready to head to Boston's Children's Museum with the little guy.

It's snowing. Light fluffy dry stuff, blowing around as much as 'falling'.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Didn't you know coffee could give you delerium? Yeah, serious delirium, man.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Should I switch to Lime Diet Coke? Oh hell, I'll just have both....
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Lime Diet Coke? Hmm. Sure doesn't sound good. But maybe that's just me.

I too, am drinking coffee. And had a bagel with egg salad. Mornings with a bagel are generally not so bad.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

No, Lime Diet Coke is good. If I imagine very hard while I am drinking one, I can almost talk myself into believing I'm drinking a cocktail on the beach somewhere.

I am about to play Play-Doh with my kids, and then I will take my daughter horseback riding. I hope she doesn't fall off.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm addicted to Lime Diet Coke, I buy it by the case. The Lemon is disgusting-- tastes like furniture polish-- but the lime is just right,
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

BlueChair wrote:I just had two cups of coffee. Feeling much better now!
Inspiring. I'll do the same before playing 'Harvest Moon" - I know it's about running a Japanese farm but it's good fun and very very relaxed. Almost like therapy
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Harvest Moon is a fantastic album.