What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Friend sent me this (Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance) + Eureka. I'd never heard him or of him. Friend is a big Sonic Youth fan, which is the link. Amazon has these notes:

'Self-described "cheerful misanthrope" Jim O'Rourke was schooled in the trenches of experimentalism and high-headed music theory, making music on computers before it was fashionable to do so. Since the late '90s, he's emerged as an all-star producer and sideman (serving as Sonic Youth's bassist on several tours) as well as a relatively prolific solo artist. Not to say that Jeff Tweedy of Wilco's involvement this time around (O'Rourke produced Wilco's 2002 release, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) doesn't have anything to do with the sheer pop success/excess of Insignificance. Playing Robert Quine or Richard Lloyd to O'Rourke's warped Lou Reed/Matthew Sweet, Tweedy adds crunchy yet light guitar tones on the radio-ready opener, "All Downhill from Here," which is driven home by "woo-hoos" and a happy-go-lucky climax. Oddly enough, this track is a roots-rock rave-up recalling, at least in spirit, Rick Derringer's hit "Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo" or Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama." Add O'Rourke's formula of juxtaposing pleasant streams and shuffles of crystalline easy-listening with unpleasant lyrics (think of a subtler Elvis Costello or less sentimental Morrissey) and delicate John Fahey-esque guitar interplay (especially on the last track "Life Goes Off"), and what you get is a surprisingly ingratiating yet challenging record. O'Rourke may leave his tongue glued to his cheek so that fans and detractors alike can continue scratching their heads, but on Insignificance, it sounds like he's accepted that cruel lullaby pop is where it's at--at least for now.'

I love this! Inventive, interesting, pretty, pretty miserable, very hard to pin down who features large in his record collection, nicely produced. How nice to find something new from 7-8 years back to get excited about.

(Shame he didn't take over vocal duties on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot too - see Wilco thread! - would have made for a much better record!!)
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Jam - Extras
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

From the same source as Jim O'Rourke:

Nice soundmeistering. I love the opener Teen Age Riot.

And right now:

http://hypem.com/search/hold%20steady/1/

Hold Steady were being raved about in yesterday's Observer review of live show. And I've seen similar elsewhere. It's kinda obvious sounding, but fun. But hold steady, they ain't Arcade Fire. Very listenable, though, and probably great live. Especially in a small sweaty venue.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Usually the one that last comes to mind when I decide which of my New Order albums to listen to, but it's certainly great still. Even like it better than Power, Corruption & Lies (which most fans seem to regard very highly)
Otis Westinghouse

For me all their LPs are flawed, and all contain greatness, but the consistently strongest is Technique.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

We are having new carpets laid, so furniture had to be moved and cupboards unpacked etc. and I came across some old LPs long forgotten. Am currently playing 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' and thoroughly enjoying it!!

Next up 'Daltrey' by Roger Daltrey. :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

These three...

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

ALL at once?

Couples In Trouble - Robbie Fulks.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:ALL at once?
Well, this week at least.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, that's a relief. I remember [boringstoryalert] my two oldest kids standing on either side of me, both talking loudly at once and I had the distinct sensation of my brain trying to separate itself into two ears[/boringstoryalert].

Twangin' - Dave Edmunds
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Richard Thompson - (guitar /vocal)
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Neil Sedaka - Sedaka's Back

Reading the liner notes, I was surprised that Godley & Creme appear on this record.

Whatever happened to Elton's Rocket Record Company?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"Briefcase Full of Blues" - The Blues Brothers. More than a novelty
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Magic Numbers - Live At The Forum 10th February 2007.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Roy Buchanan - "Sweet Dreams"

Ever since finally seeing The Departed a week ago, I've had this instrumental gem (a 1972 cover of the Don Gibson/Patsy Cline classic) that played over the closing credits stuck in my head. What a great guitar player... apparently he was something of a mentor to Robbie Robertson, his predecessor as guitarist for The Hawks. Not familiar with any of his other work, but am eager to check it all out.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I saw Lonesome Dave and the crew many years ago and it remains one of the best rock and roll shows ever. I still love the intensity of the album "Energized", and the seminal "Rock and Roll".

Meanwhile, I am listening to:

I am not sure it really ever gets any better than this 30 minutes of absolute bliss...musically speaking.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Johnny Hartman/ John Coltrane......so good!

Like many others I discovered Johnny via Clint Eastwood's use of his songs in The Bridges of Madison County. Clint intelligently used some of Johnny's last recordings since they were most appropriate , though anachronistic , for the 1960's setting. Once In Every Life and This One's For Tedi , recorded in two one day sessions a few weeks apart in August 1980, are , in a way , tragic recordings. Recorded for tiny labels in limited time his voice never sounded better, with a real 'lived' in quality that brings out the meaning of the lyrics. However , lifelong cigarette smoking is a huge factor in that voice and would kill him three years later. I got Once In Every Life on vinyl just this week - it sounds awesome.

One of my 'fantasy projects' ( if, say , I won the lottery) would be to research and write about Johnny's life . However , what with most of his contempoarys dying and all that it seems like a unlikely prospect. For instance, he claimed to have recorded in England in the 1950's but no evidence of them seems available.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Ry Cooder @ 60 - BBC Radio2 Documentary
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Must find that on Listen Again. Observer Music Monthly gave the new LP a 5-star review, alongside Neon Bible. sounds great. I've loved most of his recent stuff, and think he's a great figure in music.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Ipod selection this morning

Aimee Mann - Calling it Quits
Trashcan Sinatras - Trouble Sleeping
Pogues - The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
Roddy Frame - The Coast
Graham Parker - Little Miss Understanding
Tom Waits - Cemetary Polka
The Streets - Such a Twat
Cloudbusting - Kate Bush
When She Woke - Ether
Accidents Will Happen - EC
From the Morning - Nick Drake
Wonderful Remark - Van
The Weight of my Words - Kings of Convenience
Don't try to stop it -Roman Holiday
Carnival 2000 - Prefab Sprout
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

I'm loving Regina Spektor's Begin To Hope. Love her voice.

http://hypem.com/search/fidelity%20regina/1/

Check out the way on Fidelity she sings 'better', or rather 'be'er', several times over to a climax two minutes in. I keep having to isolate the moment for my kids. We can't get enough. Funny and lovely at the same time. Wish I'd seen here when she played here not long back.

Also nice to see her do it solo at the piano (as she did on Radio 4's Loose Ends here the other week) here on Conan O'Brien (who is incredibly tall, you realise at the end).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5aI-NB4pEtc